WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States
Suggestions on refinishing ready-made frames

For those of you that paint landscapes and portraits, no doubt you're familiar with the ready-mades out there- decent quality imported wood frames in a variety of profiles and finishes.

Only problem is if you've seen one, you've seen hundreds. They're everywhere!

I'd like to know if anyone refinishes these ready-mades to make them more unique and also customized to the individual paintings they house. I've searched for ideas, but coming up empty. I'm thinking along the lines of transparent color glazes (oil paint w a bit of medium?), burnishing, distressing (removing top finish down to the underlying bole)... ideas, experience?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Re: Suggestions on refinishing ready-made frames

Hi Timothy: I make my own frames for my paintings. When I get lazy, I embellish ready-mades with decorative molding from lowes or home depot and sometimes use rub n' buff for highlights.

I'm going to tweak the first one a bit as the gold has too much punch. I'll glaze it down.
The second one has a simple decorative border and some copper glaze thru-out.
Tools needed; Chop saw and pin nailer.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2019, 01:08 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

OK, perhaps some other members will find interest in my answer.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2019, 01:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
OK, perhaps some other members will find interest in my answer.
never miss your posts - I've learned a lot from you.

I just make "standard" float frames now-days - I make them out of strips of plywood - usually with the laminated layers on the sides, sometimes on the front. I finish them with a clear coat of shellac - they have non-yellowing formuas. I really like the looks of the laminated sides - sets them apart from other frames you see around.

I made some frames and used air-drying clay to make "fancy" trim. I made some frames out of 1.5" rigid foam - the blue kind you can get at lowes and home-depot. You can cut it on a table saw or mitre saw just like wood, glue it like wood, paint it like wood. I used it for some largish paintings I did.

- bongo
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:33 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi bongo. I like that plywood idea. I guess a good sanding on the laminated side would help. Having the tools and time saves a ton of money.
D.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

I don't sand them any more than I would normally. one thing though - I buy 4'x8' sheets, but I don't like hastling something 8'. So I have the sheet cut up into four pieces 2'x4' - that size is easy to store, easy to work with. -- but there is more waste.

With a floater frame where the laminate is on the sides - you make the base then put the "trim" on top of the base instead of attaching it to the side of the base like you would normally. So you end up with 1.5" deep frame (.75 + .75)and all laminate on the sides.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

NICE:
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Virginia

Hails from United States

Thanks, Dcam, for the reply. I'd love to see what you do (or did) with the two frames you shared. Or are they the finished product after you tweaked the finish? Nice paintings, by the way.

Re tweaking my ready-mades, I'm thinking along the lines of rubbing down the surface down to the underlying bole with fine steel wool to achieve a little more distinctive, hand-worked look, then finishing with a topcoat of shellac. I am curious if others have done this, or perhaps even added color from their paints (oil or acrylic) to complement their painting?

There's got to be ways to personalize the ready-mades and transform them from the overused seen-one-seen-'em-all look to something more custom.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hi T.
On the first frame with the woman there was no molding border. I added that and then used a metallic rub-on. I will glaze it down with a bit of Valspar clear mixing glaze and maybe an umber (all acrylic). As a finish I use satin Laquer spray. Gloss competes with the painting; to my eye.
The second was done on a plain frame without molding. To make the landscape fit, I used square dowels pin-nailed and glued in for a rabbet.
I then chose a simple molding. The whole frame was then sprayed with espresso color. Finish was done in copper glazes.....very subtle. I'll post the tweaks when done. I like your steel wool idea.
Derek