Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Best multi-use artistdesk chair?

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by John.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KramNos

Any suggestions/opinions on great chairs (under $9000!) that can double as desk chair and painting. I need to be able to roll between my computer and easel over carpet and that has destroyed the thing OfficeMax mid-range chair I’m using now. Seat loose, arms wobble. Worst chair ever.

bongo

I paint standing up – so I put my desk top at 37″ instead of the normal desk height of 29-30″. I can go back and forth without standing up/sitting down – I just slide off the stool. On the stool I can rest my feet on a cross piece or let them dangle – which feels good after you’ve been standing. It also has a short back so I can lean back and rest. I could also if I wanted to, slide the stool over to my wall/easel to paint.

Things I look for in a desk/painting chair
            1. arms that go all the way to the back, and a plus if they can rotate out.
            2. A long seat – a seat that goes all the way to the knees rather than stopping mid-thigh. Especially if you are going to use it for painting, as you tend to sit on the edge of the seat leaning forward when you paint and you want the support.
            3.Seat that swivels, reclines and tilts for painting.
            4. lumbar support, good padding, well made, adjustable…

Even the best chairs seem to lose a lot of comfort in a relatively short period of time and you just settle for the comfort that’s left. Hands down the most comfortable chair I could sit in all day is an old wood 4 legged, “saddle seat”. How can a wood chair be the most comfortable? I think because the fit is more important than padding. And the wood chair fits exactly the same as when I first got it.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

KramNos

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

contumacious

I buy used office chairs from thrift stores and yard sales, with thick padding, rollers, adjustable height and tilt and arm rests with adjustable height and width. So as not to ruin my floors from the rollers or the paint I put down a sheet of 1/4″ tempered hardboard.

No worries about getting paint on the chair and when it gets ratty looking, or a find a better fitting one, I toss it in the dumpster.

I use a Standing Desk[/URL] while painting and it feels quite comfortable.

La_

Any suggestions/opinions on great chairs (under $9000!) that can double as desk chair and painting. I need to be able to roll between my computer and easel over carpet and that has destroyed the thing OfficeMax mid-range chair I’m using now. Seat loose, arms wobble. Worst chair ever.

You might consider putting a firm surface over your carpet for a better rolling experience.
                        9k is crazy expensive when there’s plenty to be found 2nd hand. i’ve got three completely different styles that i’ve picked up over the years, they all do the job and all were 2nd hand super cheap. I think style/size/comfort is of varied individual importance so you’ll probably just have to go sit in a few and roll around a bit, find one that fits you.

la

FriendCarol

I don’t know if this will help you, but after I finally obtained a decent back brace so I could sit, I discovered my coccyx would hurt after only a brief time in a chair. The solution turned out to be a cheap “ring cushion” (mine came from Aldi as one of their special finds). I obtained three (just in case), and use one on any chair where I hope to sit for any amount of time.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                            Robert Genn[/I]

arabella

Steelcase Series 1 Work Office Chair – Top Choice. Steelcase is a premier office chair maker so its no surprise that this chair took our pick as the most comfortable office chair. The Steelcase Series 1 is one of their signature models that provides excellent comfort, support, and adjustability. :yahoo:

arabella

Not only are artist desks more ergonomic, they even help the users maintain a vantage point over their work along with assisting their drawing grip.

Drawing on a regular horizontal surface over a prolonged period can lead to severe neck issues as you will tend to work more with your head down. The slanted surface of the artist desk caters to this issue perfectly. :scratch: For More: Best sleeping chair.

Dan

Ikea has some really nice gamer chairs for under $400 USD. The really nice ones are adjustable in just about every way imaginable.

John

Finding a good furniture store where you can get yourself a good chair can be a real challenge. Personally, some time ago I had to spend a tremendous amount of time searching for a store where I could buy chairs for the beauty salon. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to find what I was looking for here. I think you should also visit this site if you are looking for a place where you can buy beauty salon furniture at low prices.

ABOBA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.