Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Schmincke Medium W

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mar1s

Hi everyone,

I’ve always used Liquin with my oils but having recently been pregnant and now with a young baby in the studio I’m wanting to move to working solvent free.

I was recommended Schmincke Medium W at my art suppliers and have used it a few times in the last few weeks. It serves quite well as a semi replacement for liquin, at least for what I need.

I have read the MSDS sheets on the product and it appears to have no associated health risks however it melted through the plastic container I had it in and has a definite odour to it. Does anyone know more about it and what it is made from please? I suspect it isn’t completely solvent free?

Thankyou!

marioz

In their website and in the safety data sheet they don’t mention any solvent, although the sentence “Odour: weak aromatic” is a bit suspicious. But I don’t understand what kind of medium you need: Liquin is fast drying, Medium W makes oil paint water-soluble, but it doesn’t seem to accelerate significantly the drying time (“harmonizes drying process” doesn’t mean much to me). So, if you don’t need a fast drying medium, just use linseed oil (thicker) or walnut oil (thinner); if you need a fast drying medium, some people have successfully used Gamblin Solvent-Free Fluid or Gel.

Richard P

From wikipedia:

“Winsor & Newton suggests the use of Liquin as a ”fat” or ”flexible” agent, to increase the flexibility subsequent layers.[1] While Liquin Original,[2] and Liquin Light Gel Medium[3] are mixtures of petroleum distillates, Liquin Oleopasto,[4] and Liquin Impasto[5] are mixtures of alkyd resin and petroleum distillates.”

To add to Maroz: If you want faster drying, then you can also look at different pigments (or paint ranges with driers in them).

Delofasht

Reach out to Sennelier through their contact email on their website to inquire about it’s safety as a pregnant woman. From my experience art supply manufacturers are quick to respond to emails, usually within a business day or two.

Just a note though, some plastic bottles are very cheaply made and not designed for holding some chemicals. Water bottles are sometimes made out of a very inexpensive plastic that reacts when exposed to some acids. It may be that the Alkyd acidity is high enough to make the bottle deform in the presence of it.

This might be an interesting thing to study for an in house science project with the kiddo when they get older, should definitely try and remember it.

- Delo Delofasht
                    Gigalot

Medium W is non-toxic product based on surfactants that widely used as a dish washing products. So, do not worry and be happy. And it has German quality as well. Some artists even used it as a painting mediums ingredient to prepare their own formulations. Some non-toxin people prefer Walnut oil and use it gallons to wash brushes and to paint with. But for me over-oiled paintings are not good for longevity. In the other hand, Germany is a country of most advanced chemists and their products always have a good reputation. Do not use polyethylene, polystyrene and PVC plastic bottles. Such plastics are worst to store oil painting mediums. Use GLASS bottle (best) or PET plastic containers. PET is insoluble in oil or any other solvent. PET is widely available plastic also food-grade product. No problem to find such kind of bottles.

JCannon

I didn’t know about this product until I stumbled across this thread. Apparently, it turns all oil paints into water-mixable paints. Wow.

How does it work in terms of blending, glazing? In other words, suppose I want an ultra-smooth gradation of blue to red. Does this medium help or aid the properties of oil paint that drew us toward oil painting in the first place?

bmarsh

Medium W comes in gel and liquid.  I have found that the liquid works well for glazing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.