Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Three more

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Bizzibee

Lillies and a bridge – another in the Rite of Passage series – has to be done!:lol:

I thought I would try the clouds a little differently in the last one – my son says it looks like a scene out of Apocalypse Now – but at least it reminds him to do his History homework!

All 12 x 16 oil on heavyweight Canson paper. I greatly appreciate any c and c you are prepared to give, and thank you, as always for looking.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Skyenorth

Hi Bizzi are you using the mixed media paper by Canson? The other canson paper I know is the cartridge paper for drawing onto. As I understand it the last three paintings you posted were done in acrylics and these three are in oils.
            I must say these are beautiful paintings, the first two are my favourites as I get a feeling I am actually there standing gazing at these views. The first painting is really wonderful with the white bridge and those trees are beautifully done you must be using a fine brush to get those branches in so well. I also love the colours in this one too it has a soothing quality and those lilies are so pretty!
            In your second painting the feeling of walking down a path in this beautiful forest is done so well. I love that autumn tree on the left of the painting the brushwork is so good! Nice feeling of distance too.
            I am not sure if you are going for a realistic look in the third or if this is a dream like painting due to the exciting sky above. I love the water and the trees in this setting sun painting. Brilliant work Bizzi!!:thumbsup:

[URL=http://www.simmillarts.co.uk
            http://simmill-arts.blogspot.com/
            Success is never found. Failure never fatal. Courage is the only thing.
            Winston Churchill.

Reed Jones

Wow! You really channelled Van Gogh in the sky of that last one. Great brushwork throughout. I would tone that white bridge a bit. Kinda too white-white… Your fall scene works great, w/ that single autumnal tree. Really pops those colors!

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

Bizzibee

Hi Caroline, thank you so much for your lovely and detailed comments about my paintings. It makes me happy when you like them! The last one – tbh I was just messing about – I couldn’t face doing any more clouds in the traditional sense on that occasion. I just thought it would be fun to try something different, so I am not sure I had any aim at all! :lol: I only paint in oils. I wouldn’t dare use acrylics – I make too many mistakes!

The paper I am using at present is by Canson and is called Figueras. It is specifically for oil painting. It cost a bit more than the last lost I used, but I am finding it easier to use and it feels a bit more quality. I bought it off Amazon.

Hi Reed. Thank you kindly – yes the last one kinda ended up that way I suppose – a poor mans’ version, to be sure!

You are so right about that bridge. I was trying so hard to emphasise the contrast of the shadow in the bridge I went overboard, I think. Thank you for your advice.

A bit of my own c and c – I need to deal with that dark spot on the right by the birch trees – I have just noticed it!

Thank you both.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Ohiohawk97

Love these Bizz! The first two certainly look like your style and the third one threw me a bit of a curveball. But it is wonderful to look at. The sky is so colorful and painterly.

The second one is my favorite. You paint forest scenes beautifully and this is no exception. I love the Fall colors on the tree on the left and the leaves and shadows across the path create so much interest and depth.

Agree with Reed that the bridge would be a bit more subdued if the chroma was taken down just a bit so it wouldn’t compete with those fantastic beech trees. Love the water and lily pads!

Beautiful work as always!

Wes

Aussiesrus

A lovely arrangement of opposing, horizontal & vertical elements in the 1st. The break in the trees works well, leading the eye through the scene & the old bridge makes an effective COI.

The 2nd invites the viewer into the picture & creates a sense of apprehension as to where the track leads. I like that !

Like your previous ”Sunflowers” number 3 mimics the style of Vincent yet again. A Lovely color statement & interesting, swirling brushstrokes which become progressively more pronounced toward the upper sky.
                            Although the receding river appears to run uphill slightly ? – Minor point. Everything else. Super !
                            Well Done Biz, for stepping from the comfort zone & trying something different !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                            https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                            I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Dorrart

Bizz, really nice works here. I really like the way you’ve been building the form of the trees, almost outlined they have great dimensional feel to them, the scenes are nicely composed and have really good balance of paint texture. The colors are nice, with little hints of purple and pale blues among the greens in the first one and the shot of fall colors through the second one.

Which brings me to the third one. It is a departure. I see it more as like Edvard Munch than as Van Gogh. I would like to see the sky effect of color bands with outlines carried through more completely in the entire work, but I can appreciate what you have done here. The colors within the horizontal sky bands are lovely. The trees are nicely painted, the rocky shoreline is very nice. It’s interesting that the sky effect overshadows much of the lovely painting below it, but I can’t imagine the painting without that, I guess that’s why I want to see it carried though its entirety.

All three are very good. Nice work Bizz.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

123harry

Your pictures have an intricately decorative quality. There are so many possibilities for the eye to walk around in them. The third one I was slightly taken aback by at first with its exceptionally bold sky. dorrart mentions Munch and I think that’s relevant but once again it’s the decorative quality seems to be uppermost. I can see this as a rich glaze on a well shaped pot.

C&C always welcome.
                                    Instagram harry.hamill

Bizzibee

Michael thank you so much. Your words are very kind and your advice always appreciated. You know, that bit of the water you are so right – I knew that needed fixing, but I forgot to change it. I had already tried to change it once and it didn’t work and then it went completely out of my head! Thank you for spotting it.

David, thank you. Your words make very interesting reading. I get that Munch reference – a cut-price effort of mine, of course! I know what you mean about the third one – it is a bit of a hotch-potch. Maybe I should try some more, and be less half-hearted about it. Thank you for giving me things to think about.

Harry, I very much like that you have picked that up from my efforts. Maybe a bit too much going on!:lol: I also get the reference to the pot – I think the colours are a bit Clarice Cliff, maybe. Can’t match her work though!

Also, I forgot to mention, on my last post, you were correct about the mountains. I realised also, after that that I had done the same scene in a palette knife version, which I posted some time ago.

landsmith

Bizzibee, All three look good.
                                            I would say the second is my favorite. It’s really well painted and the path is intriguing, as if I can expect to find a sudden vista or somthing else.

The third painting is interesting. I’ll bet you had a lot of fun doing that one. It’s really different for you. It’s always fun to experiment.
                                            Rob

Reddyman

BB
                                                Wow you have been busy once again and your work looks as terrific as ever, yes I too recognize the first 2 as your signature beautiful landscape portrayals and even though the third is different it has a definite style ( I too can see Edvard Munch) and I agree it is great to experiment. (it keeps us fresh and open to varied concepts and style)
                                                The second piece I too feel I could just walk right into that wonderful path gazing at the dappled light along the way.
                                                Thanks for sharing… they are beautiful.
                                                John :)

Dcam
                                                    Bizzibee

Rob, thank you very much for taking the time to comment and I very much appreciate it. Yes, that third one I did enjoy. I feel atm I am a bit torn between styles of painting. I feel quite conflicted and don’t know whether to stay on the straight and narrow, or veer off a bit.:lol: Time will tell, I suppose, which one wins!

Bizzibee

John thank you for your generous comments. I am glad you like the first two. I have been really intrigued by the Munch reference. On my last cruise, I went on a water colour class and did a couple of copies of Munch’s paintings – maybe that has subliminally stayed with me!:lol: Thanks again.

Derek, you are very kind and thank you for commenting. Maybe that texture comes from me going over my many mistakes!:lol:

eoghan

My quick impressions of each:
                                                                1 I see Van Gogh most in this one. A Japanese style. The tree trunks have dark outlines on both sides which is not normally the case in nature but it is the effect used by Van Gogh who was influenced by Japanese drawing.
                                                                2 This is my favourite. No real reason. Just the composition draws me in and the variety of colours and textures. I like the light on the path a lot too.
                                                                3 There is a strong element of fun and adventure and drama added to this. if it was cropped below the clouds it would have a completely different feel. I was painting a wall mural for a local Kindergarten last week and my 10 year old came to see. I asked him if I should add mountains and clouds and he said ‘ go for it’ so I did! – you went for it – well done !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.