Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Chinese ink painting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Libertyrules

My interest is in ink painting, esp painting bamboo. I have other interests, eg relief printing, and etchings, but my focus now is ink, brush, paper in the Chinese tradition. I am self-taught, with the help of YouTube videos by Chinese artists. It’s a journey which has taught me that, with a goal in mind, perseverance is key. I was a jeweler in NYC for many years. Anyway, here are a few examples of my work:

"Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible"
        ~ Richard Feynman

Anonymous

Ah Sumi painting, great ! we don’t see much of that here.
            I love your bamboo, they certainly are first class examples of this art form.
            It’s interesting that a jeweler would take up the broad expressive strokes of sumi rather than an extremely fine pen & work small :lol:
            Mike

Welcome here!
            While I have not studied Chinese painting I do appreciate the economy of a single stroke making such an expressive shape …. have always like brush marks!
            Your bamboo works are lovely.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Beautiful work especially the last two. The softness of such majestic mountains with the bamboo in front is lovely. Well done!

The figure shows so much emotion with such economy of strokes, it’s very good.

Looking forward to seeing more!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

Libertyrules

Thank y’all for the kind responses. I always wanted to paint, but had to earn a living & raise a family. Now I have the time to do what I love. I will post a few more very soon. (sans frames, sorry about that.)

"Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible"
                ~ Richard Feynman

Libertyrules

Beautiful work especially the last two. The softness of such majestic mountains with the bamboo in front is lovely. Well done!

The figure shows so much emotion with such economy of strokes, it’s very good.

Looking forward to seeing more!

*Disclaimer* The figure is a linocut print based on a Egon Schiele figure study. It was carved into Gomuban Japanese vinyl (purchased online from Jackson’s Art – it’s cheaper over there, even with postage) ;)

I’m working hard now & will post more photos soon.
                    Thanks for the kind words.

~ Richard Feynman

jinxkat

Absolutely wonderful! I am hoping to try this soon and am looking for inspiration.

Anonymous

Absolutely wonderful! I am hoping to try this soon and am looking for inspiration.

Then whatever you do DON’T get the “Zen brush app.” because if you pay the pittance for the different papers & a undo you’ll be hooked ! because you are not allowed to post digital work here !
                            It is very inspiring for Sumi work. :wink2:.
                            Mike

Herb

Beautifully done. I so admire the economy and “apparent” simplicity of this style of ink painting that yields such a sophisticated result.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.