Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing What is the mixing complement for Winsor & Newton’s Naples Yellow?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pherank

What is the mixing complement for Winsor & Newton’s Naples Yellow?
        I believe the formulation is PW6 (titanium white), PBr24 (chrome titanium oxide).

As a side note, I see that Handprint.com lists the Naples Yellow “hue” as being compromised of:
        PY35 (cadmium zinc sulfide), PR101 (synthetic red iron oxide), PW4 (zinc oxide)

Patrick1

If you want an exact complement (one that will make a neutral gray or black) it’ll take a neutral grey reference for visual comparison, and trial & error. But the complement will be approximately a blue-violet…somewhere between Ultramarine or Indanthrone Blue (PB60), and Dioxazine or Ultramarine Violet.

Pinguino

I agree with Patrick. No single tubed color is likely. You’ll need to mingle a blue with a purple, violet, or red.

But to un-ask the question: If you are merely trying to get a darkened non-green variation of the Naples Yellow, as with shadow, maybe Raw Umber will help.

Anonymous

iI have gotten a good complement for another brand of Naples Yellow with ultramarine violet, and mixing it with ultramarine blue as expected gave a very green result. Winsor brand may or may not have a single tube color complement.

dlWood

The “mixing complement” is also found on Handprint:

https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/mixtable.html

Indanthrone Blue complement: PBr24 (chrome titanium oxide)
                        (DS, PB60)

The Hue Bias is Green and the Value Range is 65.

I find both the “mixing” and “visual” complement tables very helpful, and I hope this helps you too.

~Debra

~Debra
                        “When I sit down to make a sketch from nature, the first thing I try to do is to forget that I have ever seen a picture.” [/I][/COLOR]
                        - -John Constable

Gwen Solvaag

As you have pointed out, the Winsor & Newton color you are using, Naples Yellow is a mixture of PW6 (titanium white), PBr24 (chrome titanium oxide). There is another color, Naples Yellow Deep which only contains PBr24 without the white. Also, there is yet another Winsor & Newton color, Yellow Titanate which also only contains only PBr24. If you do any tests, you might find it easier to use ones that do not contain the white.

As to the mixing complement, there are two things to consider: lowering the chroma, and lowering the value. I don’t believe there is any pigment that will do both to the extent that it will give you a black or even a dark grey. But there is a combination that might give you a darkened, greyed color.

The pigment that I use to lower the chroma of yellow is Cobalt Violet (PV14) which is from Grumbacher Watercolors although it probably is available from other manufacturers. This will reduce the “green-ness” of the yellow. As to lowering the value, I use the Grumbacher color Van Dyck Brown which is PBr9 (Natural Iron Oxide). This reduces the value while maintaining the color quality of the PBr24 (chrome titanium oxide). Raw Umber (PBr7), which Pinguino previously mentioned, is also good for darkening the value if it doesn’t have too much of a green bias to it.

I’m sorry I don’t have any visual support for you as my scanner is out of commission. I have used Cobalt Violet (PV14) to reduce the chroma of other yellows, Cadmium Yellows in particular, and have been satisfied with the results. I believe that although Cobalt Violet is expensive, it is also a very useful color.

Good luck.
                            Gwen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.