Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Pelican! : WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Ammons

This is Mr. Pelican of Pelican Pier. He was nice enough to hold some pelicany poses and let me get the camera for some good pelicans.

Little different approach this time,. I’m working from a gridded photo on my phone which seems to pelican well. Gonna try to get it all done in one pelican. Didn’t even bother with a sketch.

Also trying the oil primer from pelican which seems to be working pretty well. It dried pretty flat even though I didn’t sand it and just pelicaned it on.

C&C welcome. A good days pelican so far. *life sized on birch panel. Thanks for looking:wave:

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
        oil and acrylic paintings..

🤟🏻

Looking good so far! I’ve been hoping to see your take on some of the photo realism techniques you’ve been learning, thanks for sharing

Paul Moreau
            Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
            FB @pmoreaufineart

Ellis Ammons

This method is where I ended up with my past experiences. It’s sorta the opposite of everything I’ve learned about photorealism. Photorealism is usally done in stages. With underpainting, tracing, projectors ect.. But there is a lot to be said about working on pure white canvas. I go straight for it becuase I have a tendency to call something “good enough” when working in layers and never take it to the max. This way I concentrate on one area and do my best. It’s when I start skipping around that things go south. It’s alot of learning my own faults and working with them.

🤟🏻

Guess I’m showing my inexperience, one look at the grid and I was thinking photo realism- thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I’ll look forward to seeing how this turns out

Paul Moreau
                    Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                    FB @pmoreaufineart

Alan P. in OC

Whatever you have finished looks excellent. If that method works for you, more power to you.

WFMartin

Your work is magnificent! (Never mind that I couldn’t paint with that method if my life depended upon it!:lol: :lol:

Well….the grid–yes! But, not by completing every small area, before moving to the next.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Dcam

Ellis: It really is looking good and you have kind of decided to go the hard route. In the photo-real world it is all about the rendering. I’ve been itching to try one myself. You are having way too much fun.

Ellis Ammons

Thanks for the encouragement Paul, Alan, Bill and Derek.

I’m still learning and changing my methods all the time. I’m always trying to get faster and make things simpler. And always on the lookout for tidbids of info that will take my work to the next level. Wet Canvas is a great place to learn and share and I hope to grow with all of you.

@paul – justadude
                                    My method is different is what I was saying. I’m basically doing little alla prima paintings. And no tweaking prints and hours of underpainting just to cover it up. Which messes up the surface, and adds less reflectance as the oils age. Also there are techniques when working on a white surface you can’t do if you tone it.

artlover55

So far it looks great.

Brian

Ale2018

This work promises!

Alexandre George
                                            Just an amateur artist trying to learn the noble art!

Ellis Ammons

Thanks Brian and Alexandre.

Here is a closeup of my progress. This is the first pass and I intend to make another pass on some areas once I get the canvas covered. But I’m pretty happy with the way it’s going so far. I’m averaging about a inch or 2 a hour. I always feel like I should be faster.

MDerby

Really great progress. I look forward to the finished piece.

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

Hamburgefions

I never understood how realist painters could paint this way: starting at square number 1 in the left upper corner and ending in square number 391 at the bottom right…but you seem to do it very well.

WFMartin

Well, whatever method you’re using, you are creating an incredible painting! This is a true jaw-dropper, for sure!

You make a lot of good points in your explanation, as well. I really appreciate your posting this.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Dcam
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.