Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Plein air set up for watercolor. My solution without pochade box.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    munchmeister

I’m returning to watercolor painting after a long hiatus and am trying out some equipment options for some planned camping excursions this summer in my pop up slide in truck camper. I want to keep the equipment load down, as every pound adds up. This is not a “hike to paint” necessarily as my 4×4 truck with camper will get me as far as I need to be and, well, I’m getting’ older. :smug: As a lifelong photographer, I have some tripod equipment that will work well. The grip ball head is fantastic for tilting those wet-in-wet washes. I’ve cobbled together some other items using RAM mounts that I’ve found useful on my motorcycle to mount small video cameras on rides. RAM mounts are used widely in many applications and one item in particular comes in very handy for mounting one of the watercolorists’s essentials, the brush washer. (And no, I don’t use the cup holder on a motorcycle. That part is just for a brushwasher.) A clever panel holder from Joshua Been of profilicpainter.com works great to hold a cheap but sturdy plastic cutting board. Add the usual assortment of binder clips and half or full pan set for paints and I’m set! I think. :crossfingers: I thought I’d share some photos here and link to a SmugMug gallery with more photos, for those interested.

More photos here: https://f-rider.smugmug.com/Art/Pochade-Box-Equipment-etc

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.