Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum DaVinci Pro Panel Ultra Smooth

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Prism914

I have been looking for a smooth panel for oil painting & tried these. I like them a lot, but they seem to be pretty thirsty. I don’t want to add any layers of gesso with a brush because I don’t want to ruin the smoothness.

Is there a way I can seal it better without sacrificing the smooth quality? I am starting a painting today & going to use a wash of probably burnt sienna with walnut alkyd, hoping this will help the absorption issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
        Pam

Prism914

I received an answer from Jerry’s Artarama which suggested putting additional coats of oil primer. I don’t think that is a good idea, since the panels are originally primed with acrylic polymer.
            Link for panels:
            https://www.jerrysartarama.com/da-vinci-pro-ultra-smooth-gesso-panels

Ron Francis

An oil primer is fine on top of an acrylic ground and will lessen absorption considerably.

Ron
                www.RonaldFrancis.com

Don Ketchek

Agree with Ron. Oil primed some pre-acrylic primed panels about 10 years ago with perfectly fine results. Much less absorbent.

Don

Prism914

Thank you! I didn’t know it was ok to do that.

Any suggestions on keeping the smoothness of the board?

Pam

Ron Francis

Only to go over it with a soft brush at the end. Varnish brushes are very soft. Or maybe a fan brush.
                            Possibly several thin coats, (brushed out thinly, not thinned with solvent), would give you a smoother surface.
                            I have heard some apply it with a credit card rather than brush, but I don’t know if this is over an already smooth surface.

I nearly always paint on canvas, so I don’t have this problem.
                            Maybe others here will have suggestions.

Ron
                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Prism914

Thanks, Ron. I do have some badger fan brushes that might work.

TomMather

I bought a few of the Da Vinci panels but wasn’t thrilled with them. I prefer more texture on my painting surfaces, such as the RayMar cotton canvas panels. I also noticed the same issue with colors sinking into the surface but I resolved that by oiling out the paintings. For me, softer brushes work better on smooth surfaces but most of mine have relatively stiff bristles.

Prism914

Thanks Tom. I can see not liking them if you want texture. I was looking for smoothness. I’ll try oiling out, then.
                                        Thank you.
                                        Pam

Lon Reams

I’ve had excellent results with smooth MDF panels from a home improvement store. But once primed with an acrylic primer I need to spend a day on it sanding it smooth again.

I can get a 4ft x 2ft panel for around $8 so the sanding is totally worth it to me! 😀

I’m able to achieve excellent detail on it vs a traditional canvas.

Prism914

Thank you, Lon. I did buy some MDF but never got around to doing anything with it. I just need to get out the saw & get busy.

These DaVinci panels were already primed & I got a really good price on them so now I’ll have to use what I have. I got a couple to try out & liked their smoothness so I bought a box in each of my favorite sizes.

Live & learn. :cat:

Lon Reams

Thank you, Lon. I did buy some MDF but never got around to doing anything with it. I just need to get out the saw & get busy.

These DaVinci panels were already primed & I got a really good price on them so now I’ll have to use what I have. I got a couple to try out & liked their smoothness so I bought a box in each of my favorite sizes.

Live & learn. :cat:

I may look for some myself and give them a shot! 👍

Prism914
                                                        Lon Reams

Here’s a link:

[url]https://www.jerrysartarama.com/da-vinci-pro-ultra-smooth-gesso-panels[/url]

Thank you!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.