Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Mixing Gouache and Watercolor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    madametj

Hello Everyone,

My gouache tube collection is still on the small side right now, but I do have a nice amount of watercolor tubes and pans. I was wondering if anyone has had any success in mixing watercolor with gouache, and could maybe offer some tips on the best way to do it? Or tell me experience that I SHOULDN’T do it? :confused: lol

I guess the main question is if I squeeze a bit of watercolor from the tube and mix it with zinc white gouache, is the consistency going to be too far from regular gouache?

Last week I ran out of white gouache (which I’ve now replaced) but at the time I thought it might be a good idea to use a tube a chinese white watercolor as gouache. HUGE mistake. Everything came out streaky and shiny, so I’ve learned that lesson. :lol: Anyway thanks in advance for your advice!

Tyler Alexy

Join me on my experimental art adventures!
        Instagram |YouTube

Both gouache and watercolour have as binder Gum Arabic.
        The difference is that gouache contains chalk that makes it opaque while watercolour doesn’t.
        You can mix gouache with watercolours and what you’ll get depends of the ratio between the two different types of paint.
        A bit of gouache in your watercolours will give them a semi opaque look and a more pastel like hue while a bit a watercolour in your white gouache will give you an opaque tint of the colour that you used.

Kaylen

It is interesting that this question popped up,,I have been thinking about gouache lately…I have not painted with any opaque medium Except pastel in my chalk drawing days in the 80s,,,I was thinking gouache would be a good introduction to opaque paint as I am already familiar with watercolor,,,I have some that I never used , but I don’t think they are artist quality ,,,does anyone use them and is there anything I should know before I shop<<< I am looking at DaVinci

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Yes, I have added white gouache to watercolour to make them opaque for spattering flowers on a field.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Zarathustra

If you mix gouache with a tube colour, you can dry brush it and paint opaquely, which can be a useful tool in your arsenal. If you add water, it can be effective but will dry lighter and you risk a chalky transparent layer over your existing paint. You can lay out a good heavy layer of pure white gouache, let it dry and then carefully (preferably in one stroke), colour the gouache afterwards, much like John Singer Sargent used to do.

I’m not really a watercolourist, but I’ll include a few from my sketchbook where I’ve either gone for entirely opaque watercolour (thick from the tube), or mixed transparent and opaque, with the use of white gouache.

madametj

So if I want to get into doing gouache-focused paintings. Do I need to re-buy every color in gouache or can I get by with the watercolors I already have. I have a lot of watercolors already in several pigments.

Tyler Alexy

Join me on my experimental art adventures!
                    Instagram |YouTube

Zarathustra

I just use white gouache only and mix it with my watercolour tube colours.

Kaylen

So if I want to get into doing gouache-focused paintings. Do I need to re-buy every color in gouache or can I get by with the watercolors I already have. I have a lot of watercolors already in several pigments.

I am thinking the same thing,,,my assumption is that a few basic colors would do,,,I already have lots of white that I am just learning to use,,,on my last painting ,that I posted in the Gallery ..Marialena suggested that I could regain with gouache some “Fur” that was lost when I put the background in ,as she suggested I just added regular trans. with the white and it went pretty well
                            since then I went shopping and have selected about 12 davinci gouache colors but I was reluctant to “checkout till I learned a bit more. I have always been a “purist” in practice but it makes no sense to impose limits on myself so I am interested in opaque for the fun experience,,,
                            do any of you paint stan alone gouache paintings ???or do you just use it for a randome highlight or repair or small effect.??
                            by the way Douge,,,that painting above is nice

Kaylen Savoie

Watercollar

^^^There are situations when reaching for the white tube is inevitable. That being said, I don’t encourage myself to use opaques or white all the time.

Chien Chung Wei is using many shades of white (PW6) pigment based pastel colours to great effect. We could say he’s kind of borderline gouache. There’s a very interesting video were he explains his palette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up151tADx9w

You need to enable Google cc translation because it’s in Chinese.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

Kaylen

thanks Sebastian , that was interesting

Kaylen Savoie

teshparekh

You can use watercolor and gouache in the same painting. Zinc/ Chinese white is not as opaque as the gouache, but can be used for subtle effects. Painting done with only gouache will have a different quality than the one which incorporates both transparent watercolors and gouache. You can use only white gouache, but, please keep in mind that white cools the mixture, so you have to adjust the color temperature of the mixture. If you are new to using opaque technique, I also recommend that you try different surfaces (smooth vs rough) as well as try painting on white paper vs toned paper. Here is an example of my recent small study which incorporates transparent watercolors with touches of Chinese and Opaque whites. Good luck!

Thank you.

- Tesh Parekh

Kaylen

I guess for now I am going to go through my colors and put together a pallet of the most opaque ones and experiment from there
                                            Tesh,,,I just looked at your old posts ,,,that painting “two worlds” is really nice,

Kaylen Savoie

Watercollar

Thanks Tesh, lovely painting.
                                                Just one thing to watch for, apparently both zinc and titanium white cause some pigments they get in contact with to become less lightfast: Prussian Blue and Dioxazine Violet.
                                                These are the pigments indicated by Handprint but it seems to me that every paint formulated with Zinc White PW4 showed significant lightfastness problems – relative to the robustness of the individual pigment ingredients – Phthalos and Iron Oxides including.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

vashette

I bought a ‘Winsor and Newton’ gouache set of six (white, black, blue, yellow, green, and red) earlier this year, they are a lot of fun on tinted paper. The colors are a bit hard to mix to what you want compared to transparent watercolors IMO. Because they are opaque, you have to get the right saturation AND hue AND lightness (or maybe I am just not very good at it :lol:). Also the paint dries very fast on the palette. What I ended up doing was mostly using just the white/black to mix various gray levels, then adding color or making a grayscale painting and tinting it over with transparent watercolors:

Kaylen

thanks vashette, even if I dont settle into opaque as a focus it looks worth the time to become familiar with it,,,maybe save some failed paintings?

Kaylen Savoie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.