Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Another sunset – xp swwestern

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ron

8 x 10, study, on mat board coated with clear Colorfix primer. In the past I avoided painting sunsets….because how was I to paint something that is so overwhelmingly beautiful in real life? Well, I got over that way of thinking and am really enjoying these little studies :)

water girl

Wonderful, Ron! There is the sense of great distance as well as the beauty of your sunset. Well done!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

pete1199

Big Country! Fantastic scene. Just beautiful Ron.

Donna T

Great sense of depth in this one, Ron! I am drawn all the back to those mountains. What are you finding is the best way to do these? Are you using photos or photos and notes from observations or …? I’m really clueless and have avoided this kind of subject too. My photos never seem to be helpful so I have to learn about photography for sure. :rolleyes:

Donna
                    C&C Always Welcome

PeggyB

Very nice Ron! I’d say you’ve been quite successful in getting over your hesitation about painting sunsets. I’d like to see this or another one done in a different, larger size; 12×16 or so. I think the feeling of distance you’ve created would be even more dramatic if the height to width ratio was different from that of the 8×10.

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                        www.peggybraeutigam.com

Ron

Karen, Pete– thanks!

Peggy– thank you, and I agree totally about a different aspect ratio when doing a larger size…I just happened to have a stack of these 8 x 10 ready, just grab one and start painting :)

Donna – I use photos, mostly from my Iphone….in fact the photo for this piece and the previous one last week was on my phone and I used my little phone screen to look at while painting (most of time I get photos to my laptop and use its bigger screen)…..I dont get too hung up on photos for landscapes :) The smoky skies from the fires in California help to mute the sun so it photographs easier when in plain view (not behind clouds). In this piece I enlarged far mountains to add another layer of distance and shapes. I love expansive distance scenes and always look for ways to add this into my paintings, probably because I live in wide open spaces of Wyoming. Trick is to get photos where the sun and sky are not washed out white, which my Iphone can do pretty good if I take my time and let it focus on different things until it looks pretty close before pushing button to take photo. Below is my ref photo taken in my back yard. Hope this helps and answered some of your questions!

Donna T

What an amazing back yard! Thanks for explaining how you take the photos, Ron. I’ll be patient and wait until it looks good before pushing the button and see if that helps.

Donna
                                C&C Always Welcome

Sarah

The fires do make for lovely sunsets :) I use my iPad for sunset pics because I haven’t quite got it figured out on my grownup camera. The iPad does a decent job of it. I am learning to work from small photos for landscapes (been watching a lot of Karen Margulis videos).

I love your painting, too! The sun rays are wonderful, the colors, the distant mountain with the sun glow on it…..everything really :)

sarahrosefineart.com

Ron

Thanks, Sarah. I’ve thought about purchasing a larger, more advanced camera…..but decided not to for now because I like the small phone that I can carry in my pocket. Lugging around a larger grown up camera doesn’t appeal to me :)….although there are times where I do need high quality detailed photos, particularly for my cowboy/western paintings

Constance

Beautiful interpretation!

Instagram: unsuspectingstrangers

Ron

Thanks, constance

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.