Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life Flemish technique – oiling out problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    giadacu

Hello everyone,

I have been painting with oils for several years and one of my preferred techniques is the Flemish one. I am working on a still life with lemons; after several months of drying time (I forgot about this painting having left it on top of a cupboard) I oiled out the colour layer to apply the finishing highlights, using linseed oil and the palm of my hand.
        To my surprise, some of the yellow colour contaminated the rest of the painting. I managed to remove most of it by applying mineral spirits on a rag (since the painting was absolutely dry this did non harm the painting) but I had to repaint some of the areas especially the white parts where the contamination was most evident. The yellow I used is Winsor and Newton Winton cadmium yellow.
        My concern now is that when I will apply the final varnish, the same problem may occur but would not have a chance to remedy should it happen.
        Any thoughts/ideas on why did this occur (never happened to me before) and if I should risk applying the final varnish?
        Thanks
        GB Aicardi

AllisonR

Not sure I understand. You were oiling out with linseed only. Then you accidentally got some cadmium yellow in the linseed and smeared it around with the linseed? Or do you mean the paint was all dry except for an area of cad yellow which was for some odd reason still wet, and that got smeared around?

In either case final varnish won’t have the same problem if you paint is dry first, including all the yellow.

I don’t have any W&N but have read several threads in the oils forum about that brand being all over the place with regards to quality. Used to be a good brand but no longer. I have OH and Rembrandt yellows, they all seem to be normal driers – not crazy fast like lead white or Burnt Umber, and not crazy slow like Madder red.

I think this thread should go under oils – technical forum, as this doesn’t have anything to do with still life.

try gamvar (not dammar) as final varnish – there are multiple threads about it already.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
            giadacu

AllisonR thanks for your reply – I used the cad yellow for the lemons when I painted the still life about six months ago; so the color was absolutely dry. What I can’t explain is why after six months, during the oiling out process, some of the yellow has mixed with the oil and covered the surface of the painting. This is why I am concerned about the varnishing: of course I will wait several months before applying the varnish, but I am concerned that the yellow will then mix with the varnish and cover the surface again… Thanks for your suggestions, I will now ask the question in the oils technical forum

Freesail

What surface are you painting on ?

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
                  Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.