Home Forums Explore Media Woodcraft Not a wood worker but did work with wood

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

…guess you might say I am a wood builder?

Built this full scale horse drawn carriage working from a picture, only. Built the Bronze Napoleon (Civil War cannon), as I am a Civil War buff.

There can be no creation before imitation.

Wow … a 12 lb Napoleon field cannon. That carriage is something special as well. You did a great job on both!

Wonderful work, especially the carriage.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thank you both for stopping by and leaving your kind comments…they were really fun to make. About the Bronze, I managed to acquire “copies” of original blue prints thanks to a kind gentleman who put me on to them. The blueprints used archaic terminology and measurements and so I had to “equate” a few things to get the job done. I also had to use subsititutes for materials that they used back then that is not around today, or if they were, I had no clue as to what format those materials may have evolved into, today. Not to mention I had no understanding of blue prints whatsoever! But every now and then, as I kept studying the heck out of the 136 pages, I would come across a measure or a number I could make sense of – this, after lugging the blue prints around with me: to work to study on breaks, to the dentist, the doctors etc…for months on end! Finally, after burning a hole in my brain I just said, “to heck with it, just start the thing, already, and get it done!!” I found once I actually started…it all fell into place.

With the carriage, I found one little hint that was given/written in the caption beneath the picture of the carriage I wanted to build. It listed the height of the wheels. From that measurement I was able to up-scale the rest of the carriage. If you make the picture that I built the carriage from, larger, you might be able to read the caption for yourself and see what I mean. The carriage turned out perfect.
    Pat

ntl

those are stunning! You must be very proud of yourself.
        What’s the next project?

Thanks for replying! I always feel good after a project is completed but honestly… I enjoy the journey, more. Nothing major in the works. I lost my shop so my big building days are over. Lost the shop when I lost the home…this when my son passed away 3 years ago as he paid for most of the mortgage. I’m a retired postal worker, been retired abourt 15 yrs and am hell bent on becoming the world’s oldest living pension-collecting retiree that ever lived…just to get even with P.O! :clap: LOL!

I do however want to hand carve a Pinochio puppet for my grand son. Looking for the right wood and size. Till then I’ll be paintng.

Pat

So sorry about your son. I too am trying to be an old pensioner with the government but they seem bent on me dying to make room for younger (more financially solvent) people who contribute and don’t take so much. I have one word for them all.

:wave: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Use Her Name

With the carriage, I found one little hint that was given/written in the caption beneath the picture of the carriage I wanted to build. It listed the height of the wheels. From that measurement I was able to up-scale the rest of the carriage. If you make the picture that I built the carriage from, larger, you might be able to read the caption for yourself and see what I mean. The carriage turned out perfect.
            Pat

That’s the way I end up measuring a lot of what I do in my sculpture, Just get one measurement, and you can use that as a unit to measure the rest. It usually works out. Is this a functional carriage, or is it just an art piece?

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.