Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time August 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Oh, yeah, August. Oops! Sorry I didn’t start the stitch right away. I cruised thru the forum saw nobody posted and moved on not even thinking the month had changed. Hope everyone is doing well.

Life is very warm right now. Lots of hot days. Fires are blazing close enough to gift us their smoke. Tho’ we are not threatened in the slightest.

No sewing for me right now. My wrist is hurting yet again. I really have to stop doing things that involve repetitive motion with my hands. They complain bitterly. Yet, what else is there to do? All the fun things I want to do and to try are at their base, a repetitive motion. I refuse to sit all day in front of a TV. I’ve been reading for right now resting the book on a surface rather than holding it in my hands.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

We had a respite from the heat this weekend and lots of rain but Tuesday it will heat up again, worse then before. We also had some smoke but it has not been as bad as last year.

Not holding the book, that is what I like about my tablet with its stand. Most of the books I read I download from the library so it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg.

I have been trying to “douse fires” from a distance….. The wedding is having hicups. The caterer seems to have gone bankrupt…. My suggestion of BBQ chickens from the grocery store brought on a laugh at least.

I am wearing the third pair of lime green and black socks I made.

I can’t help you about the wrists. I gave up crochet due to that. Does a support help? I used one for tennis when I was doing renovations, it had a metal bar so I couldn’t bend it while I was sanding.

Doll Art by Lena

Hello hello.

Been deep in heavy fog the last few weeks. A bit of afternoon sun before it creeps back in.

Uh oh, caterer problems. Perhaps you are not so far off to suggest the BBQ chickens. :lol:

Commiserate on the sore hands or wrists. I strained my thumb joint a few weeks ago, aggressively cleaning a fleece. It is really hard to NOT use it. And get anything done…

Let’s see…updates. Here is the ketubah I did for the family friend. Quite pleased with how it came out.

The trees are with machine felting. the bottom fabric is silk – not rough but with some visual texture in the weave. Elements are stenciled using Shiva Paint sticks. This actually worked well – rather than paint like I have done before. I could control the density of the color. And though it is impossible to see, in a circle around the center text are keywords, quilted.

I am struggling with another project – art quilt. It has morphed into something different than I was planning, and I am now a bit ambivalent about it, or at least the quilting. oh well….

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Lena, a brace helps remind me not to use the wrist. If I try to use it while wearing the brace, it doesn’t really work. I either stop or I end up taking the brace off so I can work. :rolleyes: Sorry to hear about the catering problem. Eons ago when I got married the first time, my folks went to the local deli and bought trays of veges, trays of meat and cheese, bags of rolls, and a few condiments. Then they hired some local teens to make sure the trays stayed full during the event. It worked.

Jen, so good to “see” you. Sorry to hear about your thumb. Yes, very hard not to use the hands and fingers. The ketubah looks great. Like all the little details you worked into it. Sometimes projects are abandoned. Sometimes they just need a time out. :lol:

Still resting the hands. Keeping my time on the computer to a minimum. Thought about taking some online classes. But, not feeling any enthusiasm to do so. DH suggested I go ahead and work, but keep the time each day very short. Once I’m done with that time, I can’t work again until the next day. I dunno. It’s tempting.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Try a timer Debbie. Every 20 minutes take a long break. Do some stretches. That is what they recommend for computer work. There is a new book out [/URL]about this for knitters that everyone is raving about. Sewing is about the same.

I am knitting a shawl. The yarn is reeled silk. It is lovely shiny dark/ hot pink. It is an absolute nightmare to knit with because it is slippery and the yarn splits easily. If you drop a stitch it is gone many rows in an instant. I am using lots of life lines (thread running through the stitches to mark/ keep the stitches of a row) Luckily the needles I am using make that easy – they have a hole in them to use for the thread. I have to keep mindful when knitting, I can’t zone out into fantasy land.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

Ugh the air quality just went to 11 – high risk.:( :crying: And the heat is also going up up up with heat risk warnings. Oh joy.

Jen I have had that happen to projects. Sometimes the dolls start talking and telling what they want, sometimes I listen and sometimes I just make notes for another doll. Sometimes they just get put in time out…..

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry about the air quality. Stay safe and indoors if you can. Yes, it’s so easy to fall into the zone when working in ones favorite media. Kitchen timers to the rescue. :lol:

I’m still resting the hands and staying indoors. We’ve got smoke in the air and heat warnings. I feel bad that DH has to go to work in these conditions. We keep telling each other the snow is coming soon.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Love the comments about the dolls…especially putting them/the project in time out.

OK, my Dickens madness continues. I had a logo done through an online service.

Hammond is my maiden name, and as my brother was once connected to the Dickens Fair community, I thought it fun to reintroduce the name . Besides, Hammond Handspun rolls off the tongue better than Landau Handspun. :lol:

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, the logo looks great. You are right the alliteration is delightful.

Still resting the hands, and now all of me. Seems I caught a summer virus. Lovely to be running a fever when the outdoor temperatures are so hot already. :rolleyes: Lots of fluids and naps today.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Love the logo!

Lena, my sister lives in Edmonton. that’s a beautiful place.

Debby, hope you’re feeling well. Summer viruses are the worse!

I have an embroidery project that’s been staring at me for awhile. I come in here and read your posts and get inspired to do a little more! Thanks for that. :)

Plus it’s 136 days to Christmas, I need to get a move on!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                Find me on Instagram
                                Find me on Facebook

Debby

Virginia, thanks for the well wishes. Glad to inspire embroidery projects.

Turns out that summer virus was nothing of the sort. I have to quote the doctor “You’re really sick. You have a very bad sinus infection. One of the worst.” Thanks doc. :rolleyes: Had to wait thru the weekend to get to the clinic on Monday. I figured I was really sick on Friday night, but the only option at that point would have been the emergency room. And really, it wasn’t an emergency as such. I have antibiotics now and was told to continue to rest etc. I actually was thinking it was an ear infection because I was experiencing vertigo and nausea. The good thing is it’s not contagious so DH won’t necessarily get it.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Sorry you are sick Debbie! Take care of yourself!

My sister has managed to get shingles!. I had a shot for that last year so I am keeping my fingers crossed because in 2 weeks I am leaving for the kid’s wedding.

We had a cooler wetter weekend but the sun and smoke are back again today. Blech! I am still working on the hot pink shawl but the second skein is marginally different in thickness then the first. The colour matches though. I am hoping that the change in pattern will smooth over the transition. No beads on it. The weather was too hot and smoky to go out.

Virginia – I too get inspired by other people’s work. I take workshops in totally unrelated subjects and do badly at them but they bring inspiration too.

Jen – “Hammond Handspun” sounds great and easy to remember too.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, so sorry to hear you sister is dealing with shingles. Stay well. You need to get to the kid’s wedding.

I’m trying to take care, but the programming says “go!” I over-did things yesterday and paid the price with another fever. I told DH I wasn’t doing anything today and was cancelling dinner with mom tomorrow night. Poor DH. He’s on vacation this week and next. We were going to make day trips and a few overnight trips to local areas. So far we’ve stayed home because I’m sick. :(

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

selectedgrub

Selectedgrub, did you mean for that to go in it’s own thread? That looks like a plague mask, it’s an interesting piece.

Debby hope you’re cleared up now!

Shame about your sister’s shingles, Lena. That’s very painful, poor lady!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                Find me on Instagram
                                                Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.