Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical August Plant Parade CHALLENGE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, I’m your Host for August and this month the Plant Parade theme is…..RED[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Yes we are painting/drawing R E D FLOWERS[/B][/SIZE]
    When we look around the number and variety of RED flowers in gardens are amazing. Red always brightens up a garden – from bright fire-engine red to the glaring wonderful orange/red of lots of flowers![/COLOR]

I’ve posted several photos of red flowers, taken in my garden at various times of the year, and you are welcome to use them OR you can use your own or those from the RIL.
    Please don’t post your red flowers until “Reveal Day” which is the 25th of August. You may use any painting/drawing medium for your RED entries!

Red Geranium in a pot

Close up of Geranium flowers

Close-up Dahlia – The name of this Dahlia is “Fire Mountain”.

Cyclamen

Sweetpeas

Bright orange/red Tulips

Close-up Red Rose

And 2 from the RIL
    This one is from TeAnne

And a red Day Lily from Granny R

NOW FOR THE AUGUST PLANT PARADE EXTRA CHALLENGE;

The extra Challenge this month is to paint/draw a RED Vegetable.[/COLOR][/B]
    And there’s lots of them around e.g. Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Raddishes, Red Cabbage, Red Onions, Beetroot, Red Chillies etc. I’m sure you can think of lots more. But here’s a couple of photos of some of them;

Red Peppers

Chillies

Tomatoes

Pomagranates

I hope you will all join with me in painting red flowers and also try the extra Challenge of Red Vegetables. You can chat about the Challenge here at any time and ask questions etc and let us know how your artwork is progressing ….. or not!

That’s it everyone! Have fun and looking forward to your entries on the 25th August. :clap:

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Margaretta

Vivien, that is fun! What a cheery colour for summer! Hope your winter is not too bad.
        Love the extra challenge… a healthy one too!:wave:

Through striving, to the stars.:confused:

A great topic for the hot month of August, RED flowers and RED veggies. Plenty of those around.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Lovely! Thanks for hosting, Vivien!

Christel

Tam-tam

Pretty flowers, Vivien. All such different shades of red.

[FONT="Arial"]Tam-tam

Bless you Viv – thank you:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viv, Thank you for hosting and for the Red flowers and veggies too. Hope you are not too cold where you are. We’re roasting over here with the heat and humidity now.

LIL

Margaretta, Kay, Christel, Tammy, Maureen and Lil – Good to see you all here!
            After seeing all about the high temps in the Northern Hemisphere this Summer, I had to go with red-hot flowers and vegetables for our August Plant Parade Theme!

In the mean-time our Winter drags on – but it’s beginning to be lighter, earlier in the mornings now and not getting so dark so early at night, so Winter’s weather, is gradually improving.

I’ve seen our first signs of pink showing in the buds on our Cherry Blossom, some early Camellias are flowering, and best of all….the pair of wild Tuis are back! Hurray!!! We’ve been honored with a pair of Tuis every Spring for the last 3 years – and they are back once again! So it means Spring can’t be far away! You know the Tuis are back when you hear their distinctive clicks and calls! Tuis are unique to New Zealand. They are a medium sized black bird, with a distinctive white tuft of feathers at their throats and a green/blue to the black of their feathers. Usually only found in the forests and sometimes in City Parks, but these 2 have decided to visit our garden every year, and what a joy to hear and see them!

Here’s a charcoal drawing of a Tui, which I did for International Bird Day

Triduana

What a beautiful bird! I’ve never heard of them before. Your drawing is really lovely. :)

I have an idea for a painting for the challenge. I’d really like to find my plant to do some sketches though, so I just need to find one!

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Kay – Thank you. Yes Tui’s are a native bird of New Zealand and are found only in New Zealand. They have the most distinctive, loud clicks and calls – no other bird makes similar noises to the Tuis. So when we hear their calls we think “Welcome Tuis, Spring is coming”! (thank goodness).
                Hope you find your plant to paint. :thumbsup:

What a lovely bird – and you’re so honoured!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

floblue

Thanks Vivien for a red challenge. I just found out after being on the watercolor forum that alizarin crimson is a no no. Oh well lots of other reds to use. I’m throwing that tube away along with some others. Happy painting!

Oh dear I think I read that Alizarin Crimson is ‘fugitive’ that means it will fade. I think there’s a colour out now called Permanent Alizarin Crimson. Well there is in Acrylics but not sure about Watercolor.

Johndk

Oh dear I think I read that Alizarin Crimson is ‘fugitive’ that means it will fade. I think there’s a colour out now called Permanent Alizarin Crimson. Well there is in Acrylics but not sure about Watercolor.

I use Perylene Red PR179 in the place of Aliz. C. My pigment is Daler Rowney Artists’. It’s reasonably transparent, which is useful. Other makes call it Perylene Maroon. It’s lightfastness is excellent (for a red or carmine). I got the tip from Handprint.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

Ladysue

Lovely ref pics. I Hope I find the time to participate.

How wonderful it must be to see the bird sur back each year. Over here, it’s summer and the hummingbirds have been visiting quite regularly.
                            Nice drawing. Btw

Ladysue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 113 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.