Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Speed Painting Videos

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike L

I’ve watched (or tried to watch) hundreds of YouTube videos of artists speed painting as a method to include an entire work as a tutorial. No voice over, unpleasant music (to me) and with no clue as how the video is a tutorial.

How is learning done watching speed painting? Or is it just to get the viewer’s creative juices (CJ’s) flowing?

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

budigart

I don’t know if it’s just a gimmick or not, but you oughta try it. Sometimes the result is nearly spectacular. I used to study with a teacher who had a sign in her studio that said, “PAINT, DON’T THINK.” Kind of the same idea.

I doubt that these “fast” painters paint like that every they take brush in hand. I’m sure they slow it down a bit. But just for the heck of it, try it for yourself.

One thing that may help (it helped me) is to use cheap old cardboard instead of an expensive canvas. After all, you’re going to work fast an not to a lot of correcting. Visit your friendly local dumpster and pick out a few pieces of reasonably good cardboard, cut some panels, coat them with acrylic matte medium, and turn out a few one to two-hour paintings. You’ll get a feel for it at very low cost. And, if you turn out a masterpiece, later generations will wink and give it a thumbs up and comment around the campfire at how brilliant you were for painting on cardboard a la Edvard Munch.

Mike L

I doubt that these “fast” painters paint like that every they take brush in hand. I’m sure they slow it down a bit. But just for the heck of it, try it for yourself.

I apologize for not being clear. :angel:

When I say “speed painting” I am referring to the videos that have been sped up to fit the allotted time so the viewer can watch the entire work unfold at lighting speed. The artists paint at whatever their usual pace is. Many are labeled/titled as tutorials. Here’s an example.

I don’t get it, but hope someone can set me on the path of rightness. :lol:

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

TryingAgain

I did a few dozen or so; first was with a feature built in specifically for Art Academy on the WiiU so a lot of people there just found it a good way to share their stuff. But then I got my tablet and Corel and decided to try some more, not really understanding why others do it but I guess I’d hoped I’d get some sort of feedback on what I’m doing.

Thing is I feel like it kind of made me rush through some pieces just so it wouldn’t take too long to convert and upload, etc. Then again, I never take more than a couple hours on anything anyway, but maybe I should try and see if that might help me improve.

hmshood5

They do that as a sort of “teaser”. They want you to sub$scribe to their $ite$.

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

John humber

Hate the things. Can’t see how anyone can learn anything from them. And if the maker can’t be bothered to explain things, why should I be bothered to watch? With a very few exceptions they seem to be no more than an ego-trip to me. My failing perhaps

They can only show the ‘how’ and I’m more interested in the’why’.

PLEASE how do I make these dreadful yellow things go away? OMG there's even more of the awful things now.

www.instagram.com/john_humber_artist
                            www.instagram.com/john_petty_letterform

MatildaArt!

Hmmm, I like watching the speed painting videos. You get to see how a whole painting is done in 5 mins. For me there is a lot to be gained from that.

Also, I used to have a friend that I painted with and we would do 30 min paintings. It was really fun and helped me get the feel of loosening up. We also did fast finger painting and that was really fun. He had a huge collection of oops paint from Home Depot and thats what we used.

I have a saying from my mom that I hold dear “use everything!” 😊

I haven’t tried to post a photo with the new tools yet but I’ll try.

C&C Always Helpful!
                                Onward and Upward!

MatildaArt!

I liked the big pink flower one so much its hanging in my bathroom.

Attachments:
                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.

C&C Always Helpful!
                                    Onward and Upward!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.