Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical Oregon Flowers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    aprilb

Hello-
        Just started painting again after many years away. Here are 2 paintings that I finished last year. The photos were taken by a friend of mine in her garden in Oregon. The pink peony was my first oil painting completed since I was 15 years old (I am 44!) I am so excited to start painting on a regular basis and looking forward to learning new things on this site! :)

One of these days I will figure out how to properly crop a photo! Sorry about that!!

April S. Brown

Here you are April!

Corrected perspective and cropped and resized to nearer 800p (which is max. allowed)

If you check our welcome/tips thread here it has a bit about resizing – shout if you need more!:)

When photo’ing your work try to keep the camera directly in line and square with the painting – usually you can enlarge/zoom in to cut out most of the background – otherwise edit in a photo-image programme.:)

You haven’t forgotten much in your time away! Colours, tonal balance and shapes are all well observed – so best advice is to keep painting!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

catjoe

I think your colors and subjects are lovely. I grow hydrangeas so I am especially impressed by your skill at painting the lace-cap flower clusters.

Kathy
            I love friends to visit my blog: My Blog: Minding My P's with Q

You’re right Kathy – those are tricky to paint!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

aprilb

Thank you for the photo crops! and the encouraging comments. Yes, I am determined to do some sort of drawing and painting daily. I love the challenges on here.. they will definitely keep me going!

April S. Brown

robertsloan2

Both of these are gorgeous. You’ve done a lot better with oils than I ever have! Lovely color in both of them, and the pink peony’s got a great center, just enough detail to be just right. The hibiscus is even more interesting because it’s not the obvious cluster, there’s that clump of little stubs too that make it fantastic, it’s so natural. Both have good composition.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                    Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                    blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

aprilb

Thank you, Robert. :)

April S. Brown

ErnstG

Wow – very nice macros!

Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website
                            Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
                            Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!

Magnificent macros, April, and your Instagram is lovely, too! So glad you’ve decided to include art in your life again…can’t live without it.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Triduana

These are both beautiful, love the dusky pinks of the peony and the detail of the hydrangea is wonderful. It’s good that you have taken up art again, I hope to see more of your work here. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Boafamily

Beautiful work and I am glad you are back at it after a little hiatus.:lol:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.