Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The And another WIP…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    earlselwyn

3 hour block in. Graphite on Canson. CC always welcome. -Earl

instagram.com/earlselwyn/

ArtistOz

Good to see you working again

Bill,
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
            Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Hola Bill!

It’s good to be back in studio. I’ll be posting progress (or lack of).

Cheers!
                -Earl

earlselwyn

Our model is out this week… so we had a substitute.

Here’s the blockin from last night:

And this is the original model from a different position a few weeks ago. Yes, I bungled her visage. She is not nearly this dour.

-Earl

ArtistOz

Good effort Earl. I suppose you will stick to the whole figure and give portraits a miss?

Bill,
                        Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Bill, No – I’m interested in improving my ability to paint and draw accurate portraits as well. Obviously, I can only improve from here. -Earl

earlselwyn

Here’s 3 more hours with the substitute. This pose is over. There are many mistakes that I was still working through. It’s a train wreck but hopefully you can see where I was going. -Earl

Good work Earl, although I still say you spend too long on it;) I dont like the overlapping shading on the right leg, unless he got kicked by a horse? (watch out Bill will be on you!) Is that backbone a little out of position or is it just the twist of the torso? I feel your pain, a real artist can never be satisfied. As Harry said of one of mine, learn and move on:)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                                Instagram
                                https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

earlselwyn

Hey David, I don’t like the overlapping shadow either! LOL! Funny thing about these drawings… knowing there is a problem doesn’t necessarily mean you have the ability to correct it. :) -E

a blending stump? Stop worrying Earl or you’ll end up cutting your ear off ;)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                                    Instagram
                                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

ArtistOz

It’s a good effort Earl most people wouldn’t understand your concerns. As long as you know you can do better you are on the right track.

Bill,
                                        Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Thanks Bill and Dave. Yes, I can do better. That was kind of the point of sharing that last drawing… hopefully after more practice and work later posts will show significant improvement.

I stumbled across this artist’s website some time ago:
                                            http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/talent

I agree with his ideas on talent. It’s basically a myth. I’m hoping my hard work proves him right.

-Earl

ArtistOz

Earl I had a look at that site and agree with most of his ideas, practice smart and take responsibility for your own learning are two important elements in one’s artistic journey. Stubborn persistence trumps talent.

I read a book by Angela Duckworth on Grit which she says is more important than talent. One of the phenomenons we faced among ourselves as students was the question why did the allegedly talented students drop out while we less talented ones persisted. We concluded that because what we did was hard won we valued it more while those that found it easy looked for challenges elsewhere.

Its up to you.

Bill,
                                                Instagram, billwperry

earlselwyn

Bill- I have not read the book but I saw the Ted talk. Good stuff. I, like many who frequent these pages, was told I was “talented” when I was a kid due to to some perceived artistic ability. I never really believed it. The truth is I have a profound case of add. I could never pay attention in class… I was always doodling. I must’ve had thousands of hours of doodle time before my first art class. In my case, It wasn’t really talent. Just the product of add and a pencil. So, are some truly talented? Maybe. But it doesn’t matter. If you work hard you will improve. I’ll post some more pics next week. Hopefully they will show some progress. Cheers! -Earl

earlselwyn

The original pose has resumed. -Earl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.