WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which brands of pastel paper do you prefer? 3 preferences only please
Ampersand Pastelbord 51 14.53%
Art Spectrum Colourfix 125 35.61%
Canson Mi-Tientes 108 30.77%
Fabriano Tiziano 23 6.55%
Fisher400 19 5.41%
Pastelmat by Clairefontaine 110 31.34%
Royal Sovereign 4 1.14%
Murano 8 2.28%
Ingres 12 3.42%
Sennelier La Carte 79 22.51%
Uart 98 27.92%
Wallis 110 31.34%
Watercolour papers 21 5.98%
Suede Mat 14 3.99%
Velour Mat 33 9.40%
St Cuthberts Mill Somerset Pastel Paper" 2 0.57%
Other - state what in thread please! 17 4.84%
Schmincke Sansfix 10 2.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Carmel Campbell's Avatar
Carmel Campbell Carmel Campbell is offline
Senior Member
Lyons, Oregon
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 162
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank
Carmel,
I feel like Wallis is for those artists with a loser style who don't do much blending, but love using lots of layers. My style is very tight realism, and I don't have a good time trying to use Wallis. It actually seems to work against me when I try to use it. I prefer pastelmat and if I had to pick a second paper it would be LaCarte. My third choice would be the finer grade Uart papers. I still need to do more testing with suede and colorfix. But right now I'm so in love with pastelmat that I don't want to use anything else.

Thank you so much for your reply. There really is something special about pastelmat. I have some Colorfix and Fisher 400 to try I used both with colored pencil. The Fisher may be too rough. It know it sure ate up colored pencils I will have to look for suede and LaCarte to try.
__________________
Carmel
Reply With Quote
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM
NancyPH's Avatar
NancyPH NancyPH is offline
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,202
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Does anyone know where I can get some Royal Sovereign Pastel Card? I have searched both DB and Jerry's (though Jerry's online search engine is pretty cruddy) and I can't find it there. Has anyone seen it anywhere else?


I voted:
1. Pastelbord - love the nice smooth look I can get on it when I blend with my fingers.
2. Colourfix - Again, love the layers and smooth look I can achieve with it.
3. Canson Mi-Tientes - surprisingly I love this paper, but mostly for less formal work and fun paintings.
__________________
Nancy

Reflections From Life Fine Art
Reply With Quote
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
bdank's Avatar
bdank bdank is offline
Senior Member
Fredericksburg, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 171
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Campbell
Thank you so much for your reply. There really is something special about pastelmat. I have some Colorfix and Fisher 400 to try I used both with colored pencil. The Fisher may be too rough. It know it sure ate up colored pencils I will have to look for suede and LaCarte to try.


Carmel,
Another paper that you might want to try is the new colourfix suede. Don't let the name suede fool you, this paper is more like pastelmat than regular suede. It comes in some very interesting colors. Dakota Pastels has a sampler pack.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Carmel Campbell's Avatar
Carmel Campbell Carmel Campbell is offline
Senior Member
Lyons, Oregon
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 162
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Bonnie, thank you. I will check it. Dakota pastels is one of my favorite websites. I just visited your website. I love your portraits in graphite. Beautiful work. When I am not working in pastel, my focus is portraits in graphite.
__________________
Carmel
Reply With Quote
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
bdank's Avatar
bdank bdank is offline
Senior Member
Fredericksburg, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 171
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Campbell
Bonnie, thank you. I will check it. Dakota pastels is one of my favorite websites. I just visited your website. I love your portraits in graphite. Beautiful work. When I am not working in pastel, my focus is portraits in graphite.

Thanks Carmel. I'm trying to move away from graphite into pastels now. I think I like pastels better, not only for the color, but it's also a much faster medium than graphite.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Carmel Campbell's Avatar
Carmel Campbell Carmel Campbell is offline
Senior Member
Lyons, Oregon
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 162
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank
Thanks Carmel. I'm trying to move away from graphite into pastels now. I think I like pastels better, not only for the color, but it's also a much faster medium than graphite.

Question regarding pastels and portraits. Which support do you like working on for portraits in pastels?
__________________
Carmel
Reply With Quote
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
bdank's Avatar
bdank bdank is offline
Senior Member
Fredericksburg, VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 171
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Campbell
Question regarding pastels and portraits. Which support do you like working on for portraits in pastels?

Carmel, I mostly do portraits, occasionally I will do a still life, but portraits really are what I enjoy. Right now I'm favoring pastelmat. I do a lot of blending for the skin tones and I find blending on sanded paper is a difficult thing. Lacarte is okay to work on too, but there is something about the way pastelmat takes the pastels that I love. I still haven't tried Suede yet.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Carmel Campbell's Avatar
Carmel Campbell Carmel Campbell is offline
Senior Member
Lyons, Oregon
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 162
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank
Carmel, I mostly do portraits, occasionally I will do a still life, but portraits really are what I enjoy. Right now I'm favoring pastelmat. I do a lot of blending for the skin tones and I find blending on sanded paper is a difficult thing. Lacarte is okay to work on too, but there is something about the way pastelmat takes the pastels that I love. I still haven't tried Suede yet.

Thank you. I saw your portrait on the other thread. Beautiful work
__________________
Carmel
Reply With Quote
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
SoulBro82's Avatar
SoulBro82 SoulBro82 is offline
Senior Member
Chicago
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 325
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Voted for:

Pastelboard
La Carte
and Ingres

If I had a fourth, Canson MT. As other posters have said its inexpensive and there is such a great color range. I guess im in the minority with ingres- its replaced canson MT for my workhorse paper, i love the texture of it. Ive only been using pastel since last november though, so there is still a lot to try!
__________________
my website | flickr gallery | My facebook fan page
"Train with structure...perform (create) with freedom. -Gordon Neil"
Reply With Quote
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Donna A's Avatar
Donna A Donna A is offline
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,133
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

The new Colourfix Suede is really nice. Have many of you tried it? It can also be used with oil, acrylic, watercolor, pencil, etc. as well, like the original Colourfix. It's lovely for those who like a finer texture, yet it holds layers and layers and layers of pastels! It comes in 8 colors: Outback Blush (a soft pinky-orange "flesh tint", Tasman Sky (a medium-pale blue sky color), Jacaranda (a marvelous rich violet!), Kalangadoo (a pale parchement-y ochre-y color), Brown Paper Bag (guess!), Kangaroo Grey (a lovely mid-neutral), Black Suede and White Suede!

It comes in two sizes---with no borders---19" x 27" and 14" x 18". The paper the ground is silk-screened on is heavier than the original Colourfix---500 gsm---and it's a hot press watercolor paper like the original. The paper can be tinted, again like the original, with watercolor, acrylic or oil washes---or inks, etc! So you can achieve any color you might want!

Works wonderfully with the PanPastels, too!

Pastel can be washed off and the paper reused, too! Really handy once in a while! :-) I LOVE it! Of course, I still LOVE the original Colourfix and it's 20 colors!!! This way, I have 26 colors to choose from! Yea!!! Do give the new Colourfix Suede a try. Enjoy! Donna ;-}
__________________
Donna Aldridge M-MAPS PSA xxxxxxx www.aldridgestudios.com

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
Reply With Quote
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
SherryC's Avatar
SherryC SherryC is offline
Veteran Member
Arkansas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 878
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

I agree with you. I have the Tasman Sky (10 sheets that were on sale a while back). I did not know you could wash them like Wallis. That is great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna A
The new Colourfix Suede is really nice. Have many of you tried it? It can also be used with oil, acrylic, watercolor, pencil, etc. as well, like the original Colourfix. It's lovely for those who like a finer texture, yet it holds layers and layers and layers of pastels! It comes in 8 colors: Outback Blush (a soft pinky-orange "flesh tint", Tasman Sky (a medium-pale blue sky color), Jacaranda (a marvelous rich violet!), Kalangadoo (a pale parchement-y ochre-y color), Brown Paper Bag (guess!), Kangaroo Grey (a lovely mid-neutral), Black Suede and White Suede!

It comes in two sizes---with no borders---19" x 27" and 14" x 18". The paper the ground is silk-screened on is heavier than the original Colourfix---500 gsm---and it's a hot press watercolor paper like the original. The paper can be tinted, again like the original, with watercolor, acrylic or oil washes---or inks, etc! So you can achieve any color you might want!

Works wonderfully with the PanPastels, too!

Pastel can be washed off and the paper reused, too! Really handy once in a while! :-) I LOVE it! Of course, I still LOVE the original Colourfix and it's 20 colors!!! This way, I have 26 colors to choose from! Yea!!! Do give the new Colourfix Suede a try. Enjoy! Donna ;-}
Reply With Quote
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM
barriespapa's Avatar
barriespapa barriespapa is offline
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,057
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Love all this valuable info. I have only used canson Mi tientes
and strathmore 400 drawing paper my third painting will be on ampersand pastelbord. But now when I order my first order of pastels i will order pastelmat and uart.
David
Reply With Quote
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
clouds41 clouds41 is offline
New Member
Clarendon, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
 
Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

I love pastelmat. Also Colorfix and Canson Art Board.

I have two different tinted pads of Strathmore to try still. I have tried Mi Tientes and did not like it; seemed thin to me, too delicate. Perhaps I am too rough?

Also have an Ampersand pastelboard to try out.

Colorfix is great but it does eat up pastels quickly, at least on that first layer.
__________________
C&C Always Appreciated!
http://www.danhaley3art.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Grizabella Grizabella is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 108
 
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

I marked "other" because I'm still learning and practicing so I've been using a sketch book my daughter had. I also use a sketch journal I got for $5 at Michael's.
Reply With Quote
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 PM
AlainJ's Avatar
AlainJ AlainJ is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,561
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

It's more and more a matter of "what I have tried" and "what is available in your area".....
I really miss "dollar store construction paper" in the list...
__________________
Alain - My Gallery -

Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.