WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which brands of pastel paper do you prefer? 3 preferences only please
Ampersand Pastelbord 51 14.53%
Art Spectrum Colourfix 125 35.61%
Canson Mi-Tientes 108 30.77%
Fabriano Tiziano 23 6.55%
Fisher400 19 5.41%
Pastelmat by Clairefontaine 110 31.34%
Royal Sovereign 4 1.14%
Murano 8 2.28%
Ingres 12 3.42%
Sennelier La Carte 79 22.51%
Uart 98 27.92%
Wallis 110 31.34%
Watercolour papers 21 5.98%
Suede Mat 14 3.99%
Velour Mat 33 9.40%
St Cuthberts Mill Somerset Pastel Paper" 2 0.57%
Other - state what in thread please! 17 4.84%
Schmincke Sansfix 10 2.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank
Carmel,
I feel like Wallis is for those artists with a loser style who don't do much blending, but love using lots of layers. My style is very tight realism, and I don't have a good time trying to use Wallis. It actually seems to work against me when I try to use it. I prefer pastelmat and if I had to pick a second paper it would be LaCarte. My third choice would be the finer grade Uart papers. I still need to do more testing with suede and colorfix. But right now I'm so in love with pastelmat that I don't want to use anything else.

Thank you so much for your reply. There really is something special about pastelmat. I have some Colorfix and Fisher 400 to try I used both with colored pencil. The Fisher may be too rough. It know it sure ate up colored pencils I will have to look for suede and LaCarte to try.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Lord of the Arts
Midway, TX

Hails from United States

Does anyone know where I can get some Royal Sovereign Pastel Card? I have searched both DB and Jerry's (though Jerry's online search engine is pretty cruddy) and I can't find it there. Has anyone seen it anywhere else?

I voted:
1. Pastelbord - love the nice smooth look I can get on it when I blend with my fingers.
2. Colourfix - Again, love the layers and smooth look I can achieve with it.
3. Canson Mi-Tientes - surprisingly I love this paper, but mostly for less formal work and fun paintings.

Reflections From Life Fine Art
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Campbell
Thank you so much for your reply. There really is something special about pastelmat. I have some Colorfix and Fisher 400 to try I used both with colored pencil. The Fisher may be too rough. It know it sure ate up colored pencils I will have to look for suede and LaCarte to try.

Carmel,
Another paper that you might want to try is the new colourfix suede. Don't let the name suede fool you, this paper is more like pastelmat than regular suede. It comes in some very interesting colors. Dakota Pastels has a sampler pack.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

Bonnie, thank you. I will check it. Dakota pastels is one of my favorite websites. I just visited your website. I love your portraits in graphite. Beautiful work. When I am not working in pastel, my focus is portraits in graphite.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Bonnie, thank you. I will check it. Dakota pastels is one of my favorite websites. I just visited your website. I love your portraits in graphite. Beautiful work. When I am not working in pastel, my focus is portraits in graphite.

Thanks Carmel. I'm trying to move away from graphite into pastels now. I think I like pastels better, not only for the color, but it's also a much faster medium than graphite.

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Thanks Carmel. I'm trying to move away from graphite into pastels now. I think I like pastels better, not only for the color, but it's also a much faster medium than graphite.

Question regarding pastels and portraits. Which support do you like working on for portraits in pastels?
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Question regarding pastels and portraits. Which support do you like working on for portraits in pastels?

Carmel, I mostly do portraits, occasionally I will do a still life, but portraits really are what I enjoy. Right now I'm favoring pastelmat. I do a lot of blending for the skin tones and I find blending on sanded paper is a difficult thing. Lacarte is okay to work on too, but there is something about the way pastelmat takes the pastels that I love. I still haven't tried Suede yet.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Carmel, I mostly do portraits, occasionally I will do a still life, but portraits really are what I enjoy. Right now I'm favoring pastelmat. I do a lot of blending for the skin tones and I find blending on sanded paper is a difficult thing. Lacarte is okay to work on too, but there is something about the way pastelmat takes the pastels that I love. I still haven't tried Suede yet.

Thank you. I saw your portrait on the other thread. Beautiful work
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

Voted for:

Pastelboard
La Carte
and Ingres

If I had a fourth, Canson MT. As other posters have said its inexpensive and there is such a great color range. I guess im in the minority with ingres- its replaced canson MT for my workhorse paper, i love the texture of it. Ive only been using pastel since last november though, so there is still a lot to try!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

The new Colourfix Suede is really nice. Have many of you tried it? It can also be used with oil, acrylic, watercolor, pencil, etc. as well, like the original Colourfix. It's lovely for those who like a finer texture, yet it holds layers and layers and layers of pastels! It comes in 8 colors: Outback Blush (a soft pinky-orange "flesh tint", Tasman Sky (a medium-pale blue sky color), Jacaranda (a marvelous rich violet!), Kalangadoo (a pale parchement-y ochre-y color), Brown Paper Bag (guess!), Kangaroo Grey (a lovely mid-neutral), Black Suede and White Suede!

It comes in two sizes---with no borders---19" x 27" and 14" x 18". The paper the ground is silk-screened on is heavier than the original Colourfix---500 gsm---and it's a hot press watercolor paper like the original. The paper can be tinted, again like the original, with watercolor, acrylic or oil washes---or inks, etc! So you can achieve any color you might want!

Works wonderfully with the PanPastels, too!

Pastel can be washed off and the paper reused, too! Really handy once in a while! :-) I LOVE it! Of course, I still LOVE the original Colourfix and it's 20 colors!!! This way, I have 26 colors to choose from! Yea!!! Do give the new Colourfix Suede a try. Enjoy! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Arkansas

Hails from United States

I agree with you. I have the Tasman Sky (10 sheets that were on sale a while back). I did not know you could wash them like Wallis. That is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna A
The new Colourfix Suede is really nice. Have many of you tried it? It can also be used with oil, acrylic, watercolor, pencil, etc. as well, like the original Colourfix. It's lovely for those who like a finer texture, yet it holds layers and layers and layers of pastels! It comes in 8 colors: Outback Blush (a soft pinky-orange "flesh tint", Tasman Sky (a medium-pale blue sky color), Jacaranda (a marvelous rich violet!), Kalangadoo (a pale parchement-y ochre-y color), Brown Paper Bag (guess!), Kangaroo Grey (a lovely mid-neutral), Black Suede and White Suede!

It comes in two sizes---with no borders---19" x 27" and 14" x 18". The paper the ground is silk-screened on is heavier than the original Colourfix---500 gsm---and it's a hot press watercolor paper like the original. The paper can be tinted, again like the original, with watercolor, acrylic or oil washes---or inks, etc! So you can achieve any color you might want!

Works wonderfully with the PanPastels, too!

Pastel can be washed off and the paper reused, too! Really handy once in a while! :-) I LOVE it! Of course, I still LOVE the original Colourfix and it's 20 colors!!! This way, I have 26 colors to choose from! Yea!!! Do give the new Colourfix Suede a try. Enjoy! Donna ;-}
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Love all this valuable info. I have only used canson Mi tientes
and strathmore 400 drawing paper my third painting will be on ampersand pastelbord. But now when I order my first order of pastels i will order pastelmat and uart.
David
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 02:40 AM
Clarendon, NY

Hails from United States

I love pastelmat. Also Colorfix and Canson Art Board.

I have two different tinted pads of Strathmore to try still. I have tried Mi Tientes and did not like it; seemed thin to me, too delicate. Perhaps I am too rough?

Also have an Ampersand pastelboard to try out.

Colorfix is great but it does eat up pastels quickly, at least on that first layer.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 AM

I marked "other" because I'm still learning and practicing so I've been using a sketch book my daughter had. I also use a sketch journal I got for $5 at Michael's.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Gatineau, Quebec (Absurdistan)

Hails from Canada

It's more and more a matter of "what I have tried" and "what is available in your area".....
I really miss "dollar store construction paper" in the list...