WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Which brands of pastel paper do you prefer? 3 preferences only please
Ampersand Pastelbord 51 14.53%
Art Spectrum Colourfix 125 35.61%
Canson Mi-Tientes 108 30.77%
Fabriano Tiziano 23 6.55%
Fisher400 19 5.41%
Pastelmat by Clairefontaine 110 31.34%
Royal Sovereign 4 1.14%
Murano 8 2.28%
Ingres 12 3.42%
Sennelier La Carte 79 22.51%
Uart 98 27.92%
Wallis 110 31.34%
Watercolour papers 21 5.98%
Suede Mat 14 3.99%
Velour Mat 33 9.40%
St Cuthberts Mill Somerset Pastel Paper" 2 0.57%
Other - state what in thread please! 17 4.84%
Schmincke Sansfix 10 2.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Pikeville, Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

Great question, I voted velour board, suede, and Wallis, I never tried the others good luck, if you try them all one by one you could make a very educated decision.

web address: loxleystudio.com
"For the Love of Horses!"
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Germany Saxony Leipzig

Hails from Germany

I like very much the Fisher 400 paper. I would try to paint on Wallis, but in Germany Wallis is not available. Is anybody there how knows both papers? Are they similar?
Regards
Rudi
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Rudi, yes, they are very similar, the Wallis professional and the Fisher 400 are *very* similar, as both are on card. Wallis museum is on watercolour rag paper. The biggest difference is that Wallis pro has two options, white and a medium dark beige-grey, while Fisher only comes in a medium light sand beige.

I sent a piece of Fisher to Rob, and he says it is very similar to Uart 400, too.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Missouri

Hails from United States

I just got some UART 600 grit. I've only got about an hour in with it, but wow, I am excited! It sucks color from the pastel stick while leaving a clean, crisp line. Maybe I am easily impressed, but man, the richenss of color, the ease of overlaying color, and the sharpness of detail are all so wonderful that I can't see working without this or something similar.

FWIW, I did get a roll which is 10 yards by 56 inches. Cutting and dealing with the roll is actually quite a bit more effort than I had imagined simply because the paper is so very heavy and as such wants to curl and roll back up. I hadn't dealt with a roll this size before and after some initial frustration I developed a system of sorts.

Anyhow, I carved out 6 big sheets of paper and now have them pressed between a couple of sheets of plywood. I also took a smaller piece and taped it down to work with, but the paper is slowly winning the war against my drafting tape and is pulling itself loose. I don't really have a drawing board that I would use a stapler with, so I am hopeful that pressing the sheets that I cut will result in something a bit tamer to work with.

Now if you are reading this and thinking that a roll is not for you, well, it does have a number of advantages. You can cut some very large or otherwise custom size pieces. But for me, the defining advantage was the price - it is about 40-45% the price of pre-cut sheets. The square inch is $0.00745 while cut sheets are around $0.0199. For example, buying a pre-cut 12x18 sheet is $4.28; cutting your own is $1.61.

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Top, good tip!

One word: bulldog clamps, or gluing a piece to acid free cardboard. Wonder if it can be moistened and then dried flat? Have you tried ironing it?

It helps cut from the backside, as the wear on blades is huge. (Add blades to budget...)

Agree, the freedom is worth the trouble!

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Charlie -

I just got the stuff yesterday, so I've not had the time to experiment very much. I did think about glue, but adding more support is disagreeable to me.

If pressing doesn't get it under control, I will hit the sheets with a mist of water and see if a few more days after being dampened gets it done. If that doesn't work, I will probably just chase down a support that is smooth and can accept staples. I hate pulling staples, but I have all the tools and have done it a lot when working with watercolor.

On a technical note, I am cutting sheets both horizontially and vertically from the roll. When I stack the paper prior to pressing, I interlace the cuts so that the paper is working against itself. (Some are curling up-down alternating with others that are curling left-right.) Dunno if it will help, but it cannot hurt.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Sennelier La Carte is one of my faves. The only thing I don't like is that I can't do an under painting; although, I don't also do one, it's nice to have that option. Wallis and Uart received my other votes. I prefer a toothy surface and do not like to fix.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

For all of you pastel pros out there - I've only had a chance to try pastelboard - by Ampersand and Wallis. Also i've tryed making boards out of golden's acrylic grounds...which didn't turn out quite as well as expected

I love wallis and was wondering what else out there is similar in texture, and feel ?
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH
For all of you pastel pros out there - I've only had a chance to try pastelboard - by Ampersand and Wallis. Also i've tryed making boards out of golden's acrylic grounds...which didn't turn out quite as well as expected

I love wallis and was wondering what else out there is similar in texture, and feel ?

I also love Wallis. I have found Uart 400 grit to be pretty close to Wallis, though it does not come in white. It is a very light tan, almost cream color. Not a bad color to work on, I have found it works very well.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States

thanks! That tone is actually what I prefer for my pastel surfaces so I'm going to have to try it out! Have you ever tried art spectrum's colourfix "art suede" ?I've been seeing tons of ads for it but I'm not sure how that type of a surface would be for pastel.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

I don't quite get why everyone loves Wallis so much. I tried it, and it just doesn't work for me. I like to blend, and when I try to do that on Wallis (with either stumps or color shapers) all the pastel lifts right back off the paper. I find that, as far as sanded surfaces go, the Uart 600 grade works better for me. I guess it's all about the process. I just find it interesting that some people's favorite papers are another person's nightmare. I haven't voted in the poll because I'm still testing all the papers that are out there. So far I like the Uart 600 and pastelmat.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Immortalized
sometimes Texas/sometimes Colorado

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Which 3 brands of pastel paper do you prefer?

I voted for pastelmat, velour, and suede. I'm not a big fan of sanded paper, I always struggle with it. I've only used suede a few times and like the way it handles soft pastels in blending. My favorarite out of the three is pastelmat hands down.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Enumclaw, WA

Hails from United States

My vote is for:
Art Spectrum Colourfix sanded
Hanemule velour (board or paper)
Pastelmat

I like each for different reasons and depending on what type of painting I am doing
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Lyons, Oregon

Hails from United States

I am very new to pastels and in the process of trying the different support. Most of the supports I have on hand as I have used them with colored pencil.

My favorites so far are Pastelmat, Uart and Pastelbord. Yesterday I tried Wallis Paper. It was quite an experience. There was more dust and my finger is not in the best shape this morning. I am not ready to give up on using Wallis. Why do so many pastel artists like this support? What special qualities does it have? Is it suited to a particular style or subject? I am not a landscape artist, mostly still life and portrait - people and animals. My style is more realism than loose.

I am still reading all the wonderful information on this forum. Thank you to everyone who has contributed over the years.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Campbell
I am very new to pastels and in the process of trying the different support. Most of the supports I have on hand as I have used them with colored pencil.

My favorites so far are Pastelmat, Uart and Pastelbord. Yesterday I tried Wallis Paper. It was quite an experience. There was more dust and my finger is not in the best shape this morning. I am not ready to give up on using Wallis. Why do so many pastel artists like this support? What special qualities does it have? Is it suited to a particular style or subject? I am not a landscape artist, mostly still life and portrait - people and animals. My style is more realism than loose.

I am still reading all the wonderful information on this forum. Thank you to everyone who has contributed over the years.

Carmel,
I feel like Wallis is for those artists with a loser style who don't do much blending, but love using lots of layers. My style is very tight realism, and I don't have a good time trying to use Wallis. It actually seems to work against me when I try to use it. I prefer pastelmat and if I had to pick a second paper it would be LaCarte. My third choice would be the finer grade Uart papers. I still need to do more testing with suede and colorfix. But right now I'm so in love with pastelmat that I don't want to use anything else.