WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 07:09 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States
if you can buy only one pastel book . . .

Buy this one -- I have been learning how to do things via books all my life -- (and I am older than dirt right now). A couple of weeks ago I ordered three used pastel books on amazon and all three have now arrived -- one was pure dross and I left a report on amazon , another has wonderful paintings which can be studied for ideas and techniques, but the third takes all --

by Jackie Simmonds
If you are a beginning explorer of pastels (soft/chalk) this will set you on a productive and informed (and fast) path in a matter of a few hours -- below is an example of the start of the first work project and my piece which emerged at the end of the project (about 2-3 hours time).

This particular project is based on imitating an "old master" -- i.e. van Gogh. (NOTE: this is not "copying" as you would do in an MFA program of study.) It is the first lesson out of ten in this workshop book. Here is my result.

And before the lessons start, there are 27 pages of concise information that the beginner needs -- about color, strokes, technique, materialas, equipment -- the regular stuff.

I only started looking into pastels just before this last Christmas-- I had taken a workshop about 7 or 8 years ago but had done absolutely nothing since then in the way of painting until early last summer, when I picked up watercolor again and then became sucked in by color pencils.

This is an incredible book.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States
Re: if you can buy only one pastel book . . .

Forgot to say that the lesson was about making paintings with lines -- which is why there is no blending.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Nice rendition, BTW.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Macon, GA

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing, Clair. I actually put a hold on this and several other pastel books through my local public library this week. They will get copies from other libraries that have them in stock around the state and let me know when to pick them up. A great way to "try out" books before committing to adding them to my collection. But based on your description and excitement about this one, it sounds like a good one to purchase. Can't wait til it arrives via the library! Thanks for sharing!
Mike