Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Learning Center The Spotlight – March 2012 – Underpainting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    Don Ketchek

Welcome artists!

[FONT=Verdana]Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!
        [/FONT]
        The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere. And no critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within “The Spotlight” thread.

This month’s Spotlight is on…Underpainting!

This month’s Spotlight is somewhat of a continuation of last month – when we focused on the initial block-in. The reasons for that are:
        a) Using an initial block-in or an underpainting is a very useful technique.
        b) I didn’t want to jump from one theme last month to something totally different this month as it might get confusing.
        c) Underpainting was a recent topic on Richard McKinley’s blog.
        d) I was too lazy to do another Spotlight topic.
        e) All of the above!

But seriously….

Actually, it is all of the above!

During our discussion of block-ins last month, I mentioned that the block-in could be done using a wet underpainting technique. A couple people did indeed do wet underpaintings as their block-in. I’m hoping that this month, more people will give it a try.

Doing a wet underpainting for a pastel painting was a new idea for me when I first read about it right here on WC only a few years ago. In fact, I had never done a wet underpainting until 2 years ago – right here in The Spotlight. Paula Ford hosted that month, and that was the inspiration for me to try doing a wet underpainting for the first time. And I liked it! I thought a wet underpainting was definitely a good idea, so hopefully this month’s Spotlight will inspire some of you to try it for the first time – and hopefully like it as much I did.

The main benefits of using a wet underpainting are that it solidifies the first layer of pastel, and allows the painter to cover the paper or board quickly and completely. If you feel like you aren’t getting as many layers as you want – or if you often end up with some unwanted paper texture or spots showing through – then a wet underpainting might help.

Here’s a link to that earlier Spotlight….

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652091

My first efforts with doing a wet underpainting were rather sloppy and my block-in was very generalized. I’m sure it is possible to be a bit more exact or refined in the placement of the block-in colors if you want. As I mentioned last month, there is no right or wrong way to approach the underpainting or the block-in.

I find that using pastel for my underpainting is the easiest. First, I have all the colors in my pastel collection to choose from – and I can continue to use the exact same colors in my subsequent layers.

If you start with pastel, you can add:

Water
        Rubbing Alcohol – the type bought in your local pharmacy. Mine had 70% alcohol.
        Solvents – such as Odorless Mineral Spirits (Turpenoid, Gamsol) or other paint thinners.

You can apply the wet medium with a brush, but I believe it is possible to also use a spray bottle.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation if you are using mineral spirits or paint thinners of any kind.

You could also do your underpainting in a different medium. Watercolor and gouache are popular mediums to use as an underpainting.

If a wet underpainting does not give you the results you want, then you can still get the benefit of solidifying that first pastel layer by using some fixative. Spectrafix is a good fixative to use as it is non-toxic. For all other fixatives, use with adequate ventilation (preferably outside) or with a respirator.

Continued next post…

Don Ketchek

While some folks have used thin papers like Canson Mi-Teintes with a wet underpainting, I would definitely recommend the thicker papers or boards.

One paper that can not be used is LaCarte Pastel Card. If it gets wet, the surface comes right off!

Here are my paintings from that earlier Spotlight and the methods I used:

Painting No. 1 – Pastel and alcohol wash. Mt. Vision pastels on Pastelmat, 12″ x 9″

Having never done an underpainting I was quite curious as to how it would go! I used an alcohol underpainting – alcohol brushed over a thin layer of pastel – on Pastelmat paper. You can probably keep the layer of pastel fairly thin and loose – the alcohol and brush will spread it around and cover the paper – although you can see that I kept the layer of pastel too thin and I didn’t quite cover the paper as well as I might have. You can see that the finished painting didn’t need that much more work to reach its completion.

Painting No. 2 – Watercolor underpainting. Mt. Visions and Girault pastels on Pastelmat, 11” x 15”

Here’s my attempt at a watercolor underpainting. Thanks to Paula Ford for the wonderful photo! The underpainting is pretty lame as a watercolor painting – but it does the job of blocking-in the composition and creates a nice foundation for the final layers of pastel.

Painting No. 3 – Pastel with water wash. On Uart 500 grit, using Mt. Vision and Sennelier pastels, 8.5″ x 11″

I used pastel for the underpainting – and used water for the wash. I used a reddish brown for the ground because the ground is brown under the grass. I didn’t underpaint the tree since I wanted to paint the tree in pastel over the blue sky underpainting. So, rather than use sky holes, I wanted to just leave holes as I painted the tree. This is the technique I would use when oil painting – I would paint the sky, let it dry, then paint the tree in front. I can use the same technique here because I’m using an underpainting!

This last example demonstrates another advantage of using an underpainting. I’m not using the underpainting to block-in my composition, rather I am using the underpainting to establish what’s behind my main objects. Establishing some color behind is often an easier method to creating a background, rather than painting the foreground object first and then trying to “negatively” paint around and in between the gaps – especially if your foreground object or objects are not totally solid such as a tree or tall grasses, or perhaps a small waterfall or stream where the color of the rocks is visible under the water.

My last example was painted a couple weeks ago. It is blocked-in with pastel and then sprayed with fixative. The fixative will help solidify the pastel in the same way as when doing a wet underpainting, but the original pastel layer is a little more detailed and refined since I am not obliterating it with a brush!

This is a copy of the painting that Johannes Vloothuis did during his demo a couple weeks ago. He posted his version here:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012662

While it is often easier to block-in a still life with fairly obvious objects – such as apples or grapes – a landscape can also be simplified into a few larger masses of color that can be blocked-in.

Oh, I did mention Richard McKinley’s blog earlier. His topic a couple weeks ago was “Loosening Up.” He mentions a few ideas for loosening up, one of which is doing an underpainting. While an underpainting can be tightly rendered and be similar to the reference scene or photo, it is also possible to use the underpainting to be more emotional or inspirational. McKinley writes, “An inspirational underpainting, which can be thought of as more intuitive, attempts to set up more of the artist’s overall feelings about the scene. Atmosphere and mood can be heightened, colors and value relationships harmonized, and edges manipulated as a means of conveying the artist’s intent.” Here’s a link to that blog post:

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/pastel-pointers-loosening-up

OK, let’s get to the references!

In the next post….

Don Ketchek

Photo by just chaos

Photo by scriblett

Photo by crispur2005

Photo by BGorski

Photo by HOllyLL

Photo by madmum

Remember, you can modify the references any way you want. Feel free to crop, delete, and/or rearrange the elements! (You could get rid of that utility pole in front of the barn, for example!)

If doing a wet underpainting is new to you, don’t worry! Just have fun and experiment! If you don’t want to go “wet,” you don’t have to! Feel free to underpaint or block-in using only pastel! And feel free to use the same strategies we discussed last month – complementary colors, warm/cool contrast, monochrome values, or local color for your underpainting or block-in!

If you can, please post a pic of your underpainting along with your final painting!

Enjoy!

Don

I’ve read the last three months spotlights and haven’t joined in but the bird and fish, well can’t resist. :lol: I dabble in lots of different mediums, mastering none as I go, but its fun. :cat:

I’ll be back.

Visit me in another life http://lotsofsmoggies.webs.com/ Or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lotsofsmoggies-Art/295708090459258?ref=hl

Annie, Mum and slave to- 24 budgies, 9 corn snakes, 3 guinea pigs, 8 cats, 4 dogs, 45 chickens, 6 cockatiels, 3 rabbits, 3 children, 1 partner.

Ruthie57

Thanks for this Don! I think it’s a great idea to continue the theme from block in to wet underpainting. I remember Paula’s lesson too. That was the first time I did a wet underpainting and I have used them regularly since.
                    I always look forward to the 1st of the Month!

Cazza50

Thank you, Don. I am excited to try this!

I don’t know what rubbing alcohol is, I am afraid. Here in the UK the only alcohol I know about is the one that comes in bottles and is tipped into glasses and then drank. :)

I have some turps substitute so I tried this on top of pastel. Here is my underpainting of the beach scene. Nothing much yet. :)

This is on white pastel mat 10 x 14 inches, taped to my board.

I have told myself I must now go and do some sorting out of boxes before I can come back down and start the pastel work. It will give it time to dry thoroughly then.

Regards,

Carol

C and C always welcomed.

Don Ketchek

Annie, Thanks for joining us – looking forward to seeing your paintings!

Ruth, Thanks for the nice comments!

Carol, Wow, You are off to a quick start this month!

Robert, I did see your post before it disappeared. Sure, feel free to show us your underpaintings of your cat commisions! The more underpaintings we can see, the more we’ll learn – myself included! The 3 wet underpaintings I show above are the only 3 I have ever done – so I’m hoping to learn more this month, too!

Your post got stuck between my 2nd and 3rd posts, so we tried to move it to appear after my initial posts. Hopefully, it will re-appear, but for now it seems to be gone. Sorry about that!

Everyone, sorry that the “lesson” is divided into 3 posts this month, but I encountered all sorts of technical difficulties while posting. I kept receiving “Forbidden” messages when trying to start a new thread – and then when I was able to post the first paragraph as a new thread, continued to have trouble as I tried to add the rest of the lesson by editing my initial post.

So, if you are having trouble posting or replying, hang in there and keep trying. Let me know if you have problems, so that I can pass the word along.

I’m glad that Carol mentioned taping down her paper. I had that in my lesson, but that was one paragraph that I could never get loaded! Taping or clamping down the paper will help prevent curling of the paper when you add the wet media! Good papers to use are Pastelmat, Uart, Wallis, Fisher 400 and Colourfix. I’m sure there are a few others, too. The new Canson Mi-Teintes Touch sanded paper is supposed to take wet media, too. I hoope to try that paper soon myself. If anyone is using it, give us a review!

Don

johndill01

This was painted using an alcohol wash underpainting. Forgot to take a pic of the first block-in and the underpainting. The first pastel was applied very thinly, sometimes in a complementary color and sometimes as just a warm dark, then moved around with a large brush and grasses, leaves and such formed with the wet pastel. This is on Canson Mi-Tientes Moonstone color paper, ~ 11 x 14 in. and was taped down on 3 sides. The paper dried without buckling.
                                When the uderpainting was dry, the actual painting was approximately 1 and 1/2 hours. Very quick, as all the hard work was accomplished with the underpainting.

I have to say, that I seldom use the underpainting method as the drying time seems to throw me off. I used an orange color under the green of the leaves and left some of that showing through the foliage. The shadows on this building were warm because of reflected light.

John

Cazza50

I did do some sorting, promise! But not a lot. I just had to get back to my painting. After all, Thursday is my day off, so I should enjoy it, yes? :)

Well here it is. It bears some similarity to the original photo, but I did draw the line at two palm trees as I didn’t want to push my luck.

I tried to make the sand near the waves look wetter than the rest. And I didn’t blend everything! :)

Regards,

Carol

C and C always welcomed.

Thanks for this month’s Spotlight Don. Underpainting – a great idea which I use all the time. I do remember doing the same tree.
                                    I haven’t got to many Spotlights lately but love the ref photos and will try to get some done this time.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

robertsloan2

Here’s my old post for anyone who was curious: Don, wow! Thanks for a great follow-up topic. I didn’t use wet underpaintings in February at all, so I’ll have fun with this one. Is it okay to post something that’s not with your photos, such as, say, using the technique in one of my cat commissions and posting the underpainting with the painting? I’ve got two new cat commissions and would love to have at least one of them done by the 13th.

Now that I’ve seen the photos – yay for using the brights in the box too! I might have a go at the Rainbow Lorikeet. I did one in colored pencils realism once and studied dozens of photo references so I’ve recognized it instantly – they are so beautiful and they live in big flocks too.

I’ll definitely post my cat commission underpaintings. I read Paula’s lessons and may have tried it once but didn’t follow up that often. I liked Richard McKinley’s demo but somehow never really got motivated to try it. This month I’ll have a go! I do use watercolor underpainting fairly often though if I’ve got white paper, it’s the washing out pastels that I haven’t done.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Ruthie57

Carol, Great start and greater finish! I love this ref and have already done it today…but you beat me to it! I love the pink in the sky and the turquoise sea. This is a feel good painting!

John, welcome and thanks for showing one of yours where you used an underpainting. I hope you’ll join us in doing one or more of the refs Don has provided.

I’ve done 2 underpaintings and brought one to a finish – well maybe a few tweaks tomorrow.

The Beach scene. A simple underpainting in almost local colours. It’s 9.5×7″ on pastelmat. the first 2 pics are the underpainting before and after wetting (I’m a bit sparse with the pastel coverage for the underpainting)

And the finish

robertsloan2

John, that’s a beautiful scene with the adobe building. I like the mood of it.

Carol, darkening the sand by the edge of the sea was a good idea. Way cool.

Ruthie, wow. Thanks for posting the underpainting both dry and wet. It helps to see how that turns out when you go lightly on the dry application. I’m going to have to try this. Love the shapes on your palm trees, you managed to take these lollipops and turn them into dancing irregular forms.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
                                                Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
                                                blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

owenj

John, beautiful rendering of the stones in that wall!

Carol, I love that translucency in the water as it breaks over the sand!

Ruthie, lovely finished painting as always, but I’m also intrigued at your underpainting method by leaving so much of the paper “clear.”

Hoping to get some painting done tonight! Can you use rubbing alcohol that is almost 100%? I think the stuff we have in the house is somewhere in the 90s. &, I thought I read somewhere a discussion of whether or not the alcohol degrades paper?

ETA: Don, thanks for such an informative spotlight! Wet underpainting really piqued my interest from the last spotlight.

C&C always welcome!
                                                    ~Jaime

Turpintine45

Don, thanks for this lesson. I remember when Paula did this and it was such a revelation to me. I don’t do it often enough so I am glad you have brought it up again. The refs are great and I started drawing in the cherries today. My back is still causing problems so that is as far as I have got today. Sorry the Gremlins are still hovering about causing problems.

John I like your adobe building example.

Carol lovely simple seascape. The under painting gave it depth.

Ruthie wonderful painting. The sky is beautiful and the pink worked well in the sand. It has such a fresh airy feeling.

Jen

C & c's always welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 269 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘The Spotlight – March 2012 – Underpainting’ is closed to new replies.