Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Winsor watercolor editions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    weidox

Hello,

I’m finding that there are two recent variants or editions of Winsor&Newton watercolour tubes, curious to know which one is older and which is newer. One looks more metallic, another more colored.

They do change their packaging from time to time. Most of mine are the coloured ones.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Kaylen

I havent bought any in about 2 years, but I never had any like the first pic, so I’d say the first pic is the more recent

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Minerva C

The first picture is earlier. It did not exist for long because it was har dificult to see the colour marking I think. They changed several times. For a while it was impossible to even read the colour name on the 5 ml tubes.

C

weidox

I was thinking that the first picture is newer because I saw very little of them, but then I noticed that it is hard to rewet a dried lump of this watercolor, like even older editions (white tubes), and so became suspicious. Now things are more clear knowing that first (metallic) is older and second newer. Also, as I have started saying, it seems that newest W&N watercolors are easier to rewet, more similar to pan watercolors. In the past they were using different formulas for tubes and pans, wonder how much the same are they now.

yogi_

I am almost certain that the newer ones, have the colour swatch and name at the top.

From memory, when the top photo tubes were introduced, the printing was almost too small to be read, so there was a redesign some time later to the bottom photo.

lorianikins

I have a tube that looks like the first pic and I know it is about 6 years old. (It’s a “limited edition” sapphire blue that was introduced in 2014 and was only available for a short time.)

weidox

I realize it’s more complicated as I found out there’s two different versions of the “metallic” tubes. Attached a new photo. Tube on the left I think is the one everyone is talking about, with small letters. Middle and right tubes are from earlier photo. So while there was photo of middle tube, I think answers were for the left tube. Question still stands how old is the middle tube. Just logically guessing, I think that the middle tube could be “a fix” for lettering of the left tube, before moving to the design of right tube. But would be nice to know for sure.

ArtL

I have both styles. The colored (lower) ones were what came last week when I purchased a couple of tubes. As mentioned, the top style didn’t last long. Hard to read. I’m glad they changed them.

Art

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

weidox

Everyone is saying it was hard to read, but that hard to read I think should be about a third style, which had much smaller letters – as seen in the third photo in my later post. I wonder whether that is really being told about the metallic with big letters.

lorianikins

My tube of sapphire blue that I mentioned earlier looks just like the tube in the center of your latest photo (the cadmium red), and I bought it new in 2014 or 2015.

Ted B.

ColArt has moved W&N production several times in recent years since they closed the W&N mill in England. Some have suggested that some of the Cotman and W&N Professional paints are now being milled in China and just packaged in Europe…and quality has suffered.

There’s so much inventory in the supply chain and on store shelves it will be years (decades?) before all the old stuff is sold. …It seems like everyone stocks W&N.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Minerva C

ColArt has moved W&N production several times in recent years since they closed the W&N mill in England. Some have suggested that some of the Cotman and W&N Professional paints are now being milled in China and just packaged in Europe…and quality has suffered.

There’s so much inventory in the supply chain and on store shelves it will be years (decades?) before all the old stuff is sold. …It seems like [I]everyone[/I] stocks W&N.

It says China on Cotman paint.

C

Ted B.

Ahhh… I don’t buy W&N or Cotmans.

I have no problem if it’s made there, the Soho Oils I use are Made in China and I don’t have very high expectations, but how’s the quality compared to the English-milled W&N paints of several years ago?

Radical Fundemunsellist

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.