WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada
Question Commission advice please

I was wondering if any one can give me some idea as to honestly price my commission. It would be very much appreciated.

Now I have illustrated children's books in the past. 25$ per page mostly water colour and some mixed media. Size about 11x11 About 700.00$ for about over 20 pages. They are highly detailed and whimsical. Can't remember exactly.

But now a friend of my mother's wants to commission a painting from a photo reference. I have done work for her husband in the past where I added some extra stuff to a large painting. So the client already has an idea of my artistic experience.

The painting will be about 8.5/11 or something close to that. Either with mixed media or water colour or acrylics or all of the above. No oil since I have no experience in that. I will also give her the choice of quality water colour paper or pre-made canvas. Illustration will be realistic maybe be a portrait in nature with a touch of surrealism perhaps. Probably vivid colour. It really depends since I'm getting the reference on Friday.
I thought about charging anywhere from 100$ to $300 Or is that too much?

So if any one has any advice please advise.
Thank you very much.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM

Re: Commission advice please

In general, commissions should be higher than your regular price of the same size work of art. I hear 2x the regular amount is common but this is entirely up to you. I don't charge extra for commissions because I'm not established yet.

Do you know your mother's friend well? When I sell to people I know well, I do give a small discount but still charge enough so I can be happy with the amount of profit.

It's entirely up to you. Charge them an amount you're comfortable with but keep in mind that you need to get paid for your time, creative talent and materials.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Agree with Moe T. Commissions are always more than paintings you do for yourself. For close friends, and previous purchasers, a discount may be/should be considered.

Your thought of $300 +/- for an 8.5 X 11, unframed, seems in the ball park to me. If framed, double the framing cost.

Where commissions often go off the rails is that the purchaser may want preliminary studies, or, more frequently, responds to the finished painting by wanting changes, revisions, etc. As a result it's usually best to have a written agreement and a clear understanding of your painting process and the decisions about aesthetics and painting approach. A deposit is a good idea, in my opinion, as it separates the serious folks from the speculators.

FWIW, here's the language I use for commissions from my web site:

"Commissioned paintings of landscapes, architectural and urban scenes may be possible. These may include house portraits, a favorite landscape setting or area, special time of day or weather, or place of a special event or significance."

"Commissioned work may be up to 22" X 30", unmatted and unframed. Style of the final painting will be that generally shown in my Portfolio."

"You may provide photographs, or at your option, I will go to your location to photograph and sketch the actual subject. With this option, I will provide several pencil sketches for your review and selection for the final painting. At your option, I will also paint several smaller full-color studies for you to select for the final painting. Expenses for these optional pre-painting activities are non-refundable."

"Prices vary with size of the final painting. Any desired pre-painting options, such as on-site photographs, sketches and studio options such as full-color studies are additional expenses, including any extended travel beyond 15 miles from Boerne, TX. Options of your choosing are a fixed fee for each that you may choose."

"I reserve the right to make the artistic and aesthetic decisions about the final painting. As with all my work, however, your satisfaction is guaranteed, and if the final painting is unsatisfactory for any reason, I will retain the painting. Your only obligation will be for your desired pre-painting and studio options, and/or extended travel expenses incurred, if any."

Good luck with your commission and happy painting! :-)

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2016, 05:49 AM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_tabby
I have illustrated children's books in the past. 25$ per page mostly water colour and some mixed media. Size about 11x11 About 700.00$ for about over 20 pages. They are highly detailed and whimsical.

If this is the kind of money you are charging for over 20 pages of illustrations that are "highly detailed and whimsical", you are VASTLY under-pricing yourself! Standard commercial illustration industry rates would be roughly 500 to 1000 dollars for full-color illustration PER PAGE and that still may not be enough (it's been a while since I was in publishing and buying illustration on a monthly basis).

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.
Got the reference. Its of her great grand daughter in a ballet pose. She basically wants a portrait of her in a "light hearted" style. Background optional. So I would like to at least use some of the elements from the background there and change them a bit but paint them in light. The main focus will be the girl any how.
There are still things to be worked out but for now since its in its beginning stages. Like some drawing studies.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'sALLart
If this is the kind of money you are charging for over 20 pages of illustrations that are "highly detailed and whimsical", you are VASTLY under-pricing yourself! Standard commercial illustration industry rates would be roughly 500 to 1000 dollars for full-color illustration PER PAGE and that still may not be enough (it's been a while since I was in publishing and buying illustration on a monthly basis).

Those illustrations were not very large anyways. And I needed a foot in the door so to speak. So I lived with it. :\
But you should see when people are expecting these days on those freelance sites. Unbelievable! Go and check out Guru.com. It's kind of discouraging.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_tabby
Those illustrations were not very large anyways. And I needed a foot in the door so to speak. So I lived with it. :\
But you should see when people are expecting these days on those freelance sites. Unbelievable! Go and check out Guru.com. It's kind of discouraging.

The last children's book I illustrated I got $5000.00 for, enough to buy a used truck. Don't work with amateurs. you should at least price your work the same as an artist selling a similar work on in a gallery. It is still a painting.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

guru.com is heavily populated by people who live in countries where the cost of living is so low that $25/page would be plenty to live a middle-class life. I would not base any kind of fee on what is popular there.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
guru.com is heavily populated by people who live in countries where the cost of living is so low that $25/page would be plenty to live a middle-class life. I would not base any kind of fee on what is popular there.
Yup its definitely is now. Shame.....Those use to be good places to get jobs. There are still great job offers but they seem more like baiting to me. They offer the job but then you never hear from the provider again and then no one gets the job.

Anyhow, I got back to her and settled some more things with her. I got more then a fair price. And more work too and I haven't even begun the first one yet.

But are there any fair and good freelance places out there or is this a situation where I really only should look for actual publishing places?
Only I do worry about deadlines though. I worry about flexibility since I do have plenty of distractions in my life.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 AM
Espoo, Finland

Hails from Finland

People do seem to put their brains on a coathanger sometimes when asking for artwork. I was asked to design an illustration for freemasons coffee mugs - for free but with the added incentive that it's great exposure -.-

Not really relevant here but thought I'd share a funny story.

Last edited by janlapp : 08-09-2017 at 05:17 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janlapp
People do seem to put their brains on a coathanger sometimes when asking for artwork. I was asked to design an illustration for freemasons coffee mugs - for free but with the added incentive that it's great exposure -.-

Not really relevant here but thought I'd share a funny story.

It's great for exposure....
Dont they know that most artists die from exposure??!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Espoo, Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart
It's great for exposure....
Dont they know that most artists die from exposure??!

Yes, and how much exposure do coffee mugs of a secret society get?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 AM

Hails from England

Not commission, but I'm having the same problem with stingy people not wanting to pay much for what I think is at least decent artwork - I'm asking £65 at an art show for high quality giclee prints, standard unlimited edition with basic mount included. Apparently, that's too rich for most people, according to a Facebook group.

On the rare occasions I've actually got commissions - usually pet portraits - I've added together the cost of the materials and my total hours at what I think is a reasonable wage, then compared the final price to other artists' similar work (bearing in mind I'm not a famous artist), and jiggled the figure about a bit until I settled on something I was happy with. The other way you could do it is price by the square inch?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janlapp
Yes, and how much exposure do coffee mugs of a secret society get?
Given its history, the Masonic membership probably includes some of society's wealthier citizens. That is why they tried the exposure angle to get free stuff. However, art on a coffee mug in the kitchen of a social club will probably do more harm than good to your career. If a rich person wants to buy artwork, they don't look to the coffee mug for suggestions.(It is a gig better refused). If they are interested in your work they should offer to exhibit a few of your paintings for a month or two.