WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:15 AM

Re: Cadmium Yellow is it worth the $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsadots
i go by pigment number myself, saved me alot of headaches. For the yellow toward green, i like the y184, and the y3 light. Toward the orange red spectrum just darker versions of the y35. If the manufacturer use cadmium, fine, its a powerful pigment and to me is worth the money. Its like baking with extract. Concentrated.

I have to agree with you on cadmium, it's just like baking with extract! I was worried due to it being expensive, but that wasn't needed. I understand why, according to many artists, it's not really "replaceable" in many situations because it's actually very powerful. On another hand, I can use other yellows when I know I don't need that type of strength. I'm planning on getting myself some yellow ochre when I know I don't need that bright yellow just to be more cost-effective.

Which brings another question... I'll have to start a new thread on that..

I also found an excellent thread on py74 vs cadmium. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1390174 It's good to know for the future.

And the fact that they're toxic... I read that it's not as toxic as it was in old time due to the particles being larger or something like that? I know, it doesn't mean I should be careless and eat the paint, but they repeated saying that they have improved a lot and doesn't require warning labels anymore because of it. Most solvents are probably more toxic.

I also really am liking cadmium red and yellow, they have that such power that I can't get with non-toxic alternatives.. and they mix well with transparent 2nd color, like for example, quin rose pv19 with cadmium red to make a deep beautiful red color. So beautiful! So yeah, having such an opaque pigment helps a lot!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 03:38 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
I also found an excellent thread on py74 vs cadmium. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1390174 It's good to know for the future.
Cadmium was totally demonized that days because EU tried to ban it in artists paints. However they also tried to pop up PY74 alternative. Despite of Clariant that never gives high BWS level of lightfastness for it's Hansas, the massive anti-cadmium propaganda granted to PY74 far better pigment properties that it never has! Since EU stopped Cadmium demonization these days, it bring back it's top place among Yellow artistic paints.

You can check Clariant web page for manufacturer lightfastness index for their Hansas or other pigments. Their top pigment lines do not contains Hansa, which is ordinary lightfast product.

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-19-2017 at 03:44 AM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMArtist7
I also really am liking cadmium red and yellow, they have that such power that I can't get with non-toxic alternatives.
Cadmium Yellow has the following properties:
- high chroma
- opaque

I have not found a non-toxic yellow with these two properties.

- Hansa Yellow has high chroma, but is not opaque.

- Bismuth Yellow is opaque, but is paler than Cadmium Yellow.

However, Cadmium Red has an excellent non-toxic alternative, Pyrrole Red (PR254), also known as 'Ferrari Red'.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/20...lock_cuts.html

"Paint is everywhere, but rarely gets much attention. Some shades, however, scream for it. Pigment Red 254 is one of them.

Before Pigment Red 254 appeared on the market in the late 1980s, red paint used by auto manufacturers tended to fade and develop a dusty look known as "chalking." The new pigment, in comparison, was extraordinarily bright, stable and resistant to ultraviolet light and extremes of heat and cold.

Nicknamed "Ferrari Red," the pigment was used on all solid-red Ferraris from 2000 to 2002, and on all solid-red Alfa Romeos, BMWs, Corvettes, Volkwagen GTI models and the Lexus Soarer (SC 430) from 2000 to 2006,
"

You don't really need Cadmium Red, you just need Pyrrole Red (PR254).

Last edited by SamL : 08-19-2017 at 08:05 AM.