Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil best paper for colored pencils

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    whitmire

What is the best paper to use for colored pencils? I have used several different types and have not found any that I am totally satisfied with. Primarily I do animals but also like botanicals. Any help will be most appreciated.

ManedWolf

Yes there is – no there’s not. I’d say that there is no single nameable paper that would be the best for all brands. The buttery soft Prismacolor Premier and Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor don’t like the same papers as the nail-hard Caran d’Ache Prismalo and Stabilo Original; you won’t perhaps like same papers as I do.

I tend to like fairly smooth, quite dense, even quite thin (100 to 120 gsm) cartridge papers from Winsor & Newton, Daler-Rowney etc, because I use a very light touch and mainly semi-soft pencils like Faber-Castell Polychromos and Caran d’Ache Pablo. Then there are people who don’t like this type of paper at all. It’s very personal. I have at least twenty different papers and honestly I can’t say which one is the best. You just have to experiment. It may be disappointing but I hope it will be rewarding.

Heikki

nadia37

hi
                for me the best paper is stonehenge in beige color , so i can also draw the whites on it. its verry smooth , i tried watercolor paper and canson paper but i really didnt like it.

whitmire

Thank you so much for the answers. I used a fairly smooth paper when I first started. I thought I didn’t like the paper, but I think now I didn’t like my technique. I’ll keep experimenting.

clydeine

I use Smooth Bristol board because it is so smooth. I have tried watercolor paper and it has to much texture. For some things it looks great but prefer the bristol board. I have also used matte board and find it just as nice as bristol board. One of these days when I get caught up on pieces I will pick a subject I think looks good on colored paper and give it a go. I do like to work on black paper, when I get a chance. Anyway welcome to the forum.

JPQ

I like mostly fabriano Accademia (which shows colour differencies better than others what i used even,and in mostly green area and sane goes Farbiano watercolour paper shows i think somehow better colours than some others). One Daler Rowney thing paper bit too lifeless for me. but Canson s*cks totally goes quickly yellow even its acid free. i forgotted it sun i think and all which is not covered pad cover goed more yellow. this last one is also other way factory what i maybe never again buy. paper is always like taste. also other things but of course we can discuss and give tips for other users stuff which we like becouse there is much stuff which only few rare people like.

Caridraws

If you have a light touch and use a lot of layers then you probably will like something with more tooth, like Stonehenge. If you have a heavy hand and use very few layers then you might prefer something with less tooth, like Hot Press watercolor paper or Bristol, either Vellum or Smooth.

I have a heavy hand, use few layers, and generally only use oil based pencils, I prefer Hot Press watercolor paper.

Cari Brosious

Robin

I love Mi Tientes. Others hate it. I use prismacolors.

My advice is to get a bit of each and give them a try. Pencils behave differently with different papers.

Robin

Neverstsfyd

I’m new but was introduced to Uart 800 grit sandpaper! I like it a lot. It does take a lot of layers but you can do wonderful things with it.

UART Sanded Pastel Paper Sheets and Rolls

UART Pastel paper is the choice of many professional pastel, colored pencil, charcoal and water color artists. Its texture is ideal for pastel drawings where consistency is demanded. UART is beige in color as well as PH Neutral and Acid Free. It is available in grades 400 and 500 for a moderate bite, and grade 600 and 800 for a super fine pastel application. It will accept multiple applications of soft and hard pastels, as well as watercolor and oil washes. Good results have also been achieved using other mediums. UART is consistent and has a low profile which allows for easy erasing using a clear adhesive tape. Artists love this premium paper since it accepts many layers of hard and soft pastels.

piccolo mondo

I’ve been using prismacolors for several years, but never quite found a surface that was ideal until I tried “tinting” a 140lb 300G watercolor paper prior to drawing. I tone the paper with watercolors however I want, and get a base that seems far superior to colored paper of any sort. It’s never the same from piece to piece, but that’s okay. The two different textures from side to side offer different possibilities, and with relentless sharpening I am able to do very detailed work , and in fact the watercolor seems to add even more tooth to the surface .

kittymeow

I think everyone who has replied so far has given you the correct answer – that is, they have found the best paper – for them :D

I agree with Robin – just give as many papers a go as you can and eventually you will hit upon the best one – for you and the pencils you are using.

I am new to this forum and to coloured pencils as well, but I can say that in a general sense, the best paper for coloured pencils is something with a bit of tooth, but not too much texture. The tooth will allow you to build lots of layers, and if it has too much texture this will show through and your art might look a bit bumpy (which isn’t a bad thing if that’s the look you want!)

I personally recommend that you give either tracing paper or vellum a go. It has a bit of tooth which allows quite a few layers, and my favourite thing about it is that you can erase cleanly if there’s something you aren’t happy with.

I’ve also used Mi-tientes (the smooth side) and I liked it, but tracing paper/vellum is definitely my favourite drawing surface.

Good luck with your quest to find the best paper for you, and don’t forget to show us your work :D

~ Jess
                                                See my drawings and photos on Flickr

Lexycat

Another mi teintes fan here – smooth side only though. I only use coloured paper and so far that is the best one for me. It also helps that its available locally, I got fed up with spending lots of money on ordering different supports to try from UK & USA and not using/liking half of what I got.

If you find something that suits you I would stick to it, as continually trying new surfaces can be very frustrating – like starting over each time, and it makes it a lot easier when you get to know a support really well, and how to make it work for your style, your art develops quicker.

"We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars....." Oscar Wilde

Robin

Another mi teintes fan here – smooth side only though. I only use coloured paper and so far that is the best one for me. It also helps that its available locally, I got fed up with spending lots of money on ordering different supports to try from UK & USA and not using/liking half of what I got.

If you find something that suits you I would stick to it, as continually trying new surfaces can be very frustrating – like starting over each time, and it makes it a lot easier when you get to know a support really well, and how to make it work for your style, your art develops quicker.

Exactly. Colored pencil is the only medium I”ve tried that behaves sooooooo differently depending on the paper

Robin

ocmd123

You are getting a lot of great information. There is no right paper for CP. There is a right paper for you, your style, your pencils. You’ll just need to experiment. You’ll find what works best for you.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                                            Instagram

Save

Cindy K.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will give some a try.
                                                                Cindy K.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘best paper for colored pencils’ is closed to new replies.