Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Art Supply Addicts Anonymous for 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    halthepainter

It would appear that we will not be recovering the missing few pages of the early 2012 start.

So after several requests for a new start, let’s get our 2012 addiction off to a great start.

[FONT=Fixedsys]

Pat Isaac

Thanks, Hal. I haven’t heard anymore about missing pages or images….no new reports.

Pat

oldrockchick

New product from Derwent – watch the demo – doesn’t explain about colour mixing. No idea where they will be sold or when or if they do in smaller sets than the 72.

They seem a little like Cretacolour or a wax based watersoluble OP? She uses them on HP wc paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eCTtiaomnlc

Dragoon

Hello
                    This is my second time replying…not sure what happened, my first post was there last night :confused:

Thank you very much Lin, for the link to the “Art Baas”. They look like a fun medium! Derwent has come up with some cool accessories for them, too!

Here is my Treasure Photo for the new year!

I got three of the Chinese scrolls! They are my prize find!
                    They are Xuan paper (blank!) that is already mounted on silk and fit for hanging. They come beribboned in a nice gift box, too! Now I just have to decorate them to give as very personalized gifts!
                    I hope I can get more of these!

I also got a tube of Sennelier Lemon Yellow and two ProArte brushes. Yay!

The DVD is Suzanna Winton painting a child’s portrait in watercolors.
                    I’ve now watched it and am impressed by the beautiful skin tones she achieves! But daunted by how many layers it takes, lol!
                    I have her book as well, and this vid cleared up any confusion I had about her instructions. So I’m glad I got it!

This was my first order from Jerry’s Artarama and they sent me a free water bottle, poncho, and 4 color pen, for which I thank them very much! A very nice touch!
                    Cheers all!
                    D.

Zenica

Hello
                        This is my second time replying…not sure what happened, my first post was there last night :confused:

Thank you very much Lin, for the link to the “Art Baas”. They look like a fun medium! Derwent has come up with some cool accessories for them, too!

Here is my Treasure Photo for the new year!

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Feb-2012/117057-2012_0119Card10003.JPG[/IMG]

I got three of the Chinese scrolls! They are my prize find!
                        They are Xuan paper (blank!) that is already mounted on silk and fit for hanging. They come beribboned in a nice gift box, too! Now I just have to decorate them to give as very personalized gifts!
                        I hope I can get more of these!

I also got a tube of Sennelier Lemon Yellow and two ProArte brushes. Yay!

The DVD is Suzanna Winton painting a child’s portrait in watercolors.
                        I’ve now watched it and am impressed by the beautiful skin tones she achieves! But daunted by how many layers it takes, lol!
                        I have her book as well, and this vid cleared up any confusion I had about her instructions. So I’m glad I got it!

This was my first order from Jerry’s Artarama and they sent me a free water bottle, poncho, and 4 color pen, for which I thank them very much! A very nice touch!
                        Cheers all!
                        D.

Congrats on the new order!

Z

Zenica

Hey guys,

After months of searching for a New Zealand supplier for “The Kid” mini watercolour palette. Like this http://www.wetpaintart.com/closeup.asp?cid=455&pid=15130&offset=0

I finally found one similar by Mont Marte that is sold here in New Zealand At ArtShed.co.nz, also on their trademe.co.nz trader account.

They even come with free ATCs. You can see it here. http://www.artshed.co.nz/index.php?page=categories&listing=mont-marte-pocket-art-watercolour-set-a7-2-piece

I’m buying two, one for myself and one for a friend. Shipping is only $2.50 and not even international!

Yay!

Zen

Dragoon

Zen, that’s awesome!

You’re very lucky to find that,-its got a grown-up paintjob on it, lol.
                                And I love the card pack that goes with it! The people at MontMarte came up with a great idea!

I just found something I’m sure to buy!!

http://art.northlightshop.com/search?w=Johannes+photos&asug=

I chanced to hear Robert mention it in the chat during the webinar on Saturday. Good thing he did, as I was wondering how many people had access to the same reference photos…

I think 700 professional photos, taken specifically for art!, for $20 is a great deal! And there’s no shipping fees because its a download, yay! How generous of Johannes to share his stuff with us!
                                I’m just waiting until I get my new computer to jump on this. It definitely counts as an art supply. :clap:
                                Cheers,
                                D.

Zenica

Yeah that is a pretty good deal. If I didn’t have my own large collection I might take him up on that.

Z

B.E.M.

I was at Hobby Lobby a few weeks back with a coupon for 40% off. I saw a pack of 24 Derwent watercolor pencils marked 26.99! Guess what I bought.

Why do I get the funny feeling that pencil tin was mis-marked?

B.E.M.

Nice haul. I want to know how the scrolls work out. As for mixing color ‘optically’ (i.e. the layers) once you get the hang of it it’s really cool, because you don’t have to worry about your paint turning to ‘mud’ if you mix the colors wrong. Or you can use hues a lot more easily when you use layers to mix colors. I’m assuming that’s what you were talking about on that kid portrait.

Dragoon

Hiya!
                                                Actually, she only uses her two main colors, the yellow and a pink. But really lightly, so you have to layer a bajillion times before its dark enough! lol
                                                You can find her on YouTube demo’ing an eye, nose or mouth with her technique. (And if you’re a guy, its worth checking out, because the lady is a real knock-out, too!:wink2: ) Just sayin’…

I don’t think your tin was mis-marked…around a dollar a pencil is what the average set works out to. Unless its Luminance :rolleyes: . But with your coupon, yes, that’s a great deal! I hope you enjoy them!
                                                Did you get the New Derwent watersoluble, or the Old?
                                                I’ve heard that the Old formula ones are being sold pretty cheaply these days, since everyone is seeking out the New…

I just got an order from Cheap Joe’s!
                                                They have a list of 25 things for $25 until the end of this month. Addicts take note!

I got the metal watercolor travel case (that I had planned to buy anyway at the full price of $40!) and some Golden Fleece travel wc brushes that were also on sale. I’m very impressed by these brushes! And they are PRETTY!

I took a pic here of my idea of labelling the sides of the pans with the color name. (I have a hard time remembering what exact color I put where..)

I also got a large cold pressed watercolor journal, and a large hot pressed wc journal. The two smaller journals are sketch paper filled.

I also got Gloves In A Bottle!!
                                                I did a dusty pastel painting last weekend, and oh, my poor hands!
                                                I have dry skin normally, but those pastels really suck the life right out of you! I have read nothing but good things about this product; that it does not leave any residue on your pastels, but protects your skin. I hope it works!

And here is my final Treasure Photo.
                                                These are dry pastels that I got in the Swap Shop last month. :clap:
                                                There is a box of half-stick Sennelier, and the smaller dish holds Mount Visions, a third of each stick. The other parts of the sticks, the part with the label, are packed away in a box. I’m so happy with these, I am just starting with pastels!
                                                Now on my wishlist is one of those Roz Box trays for storing…
                                                Cheers!
                                                D.

halthepainter

Quite a haul there Dragoon. I gave up on the dusties a long time ago and went to the oil pastels.

[FONT=Fixedsys]

oldrockchick

Totally new toys

Jacksons in the uk will depatch overseas.

Not had chance to try them yet to see what they are/do

They feel odd like a sort of waxy crayon but dryer. They can be broken and used on their sides. The triangular shape can be sharpened for detailed lines. They can be used wet or dry. They can be sharpened and shaved and the shavings mixed with water or thrown onto a wet piece for texture.

Also my open stock Neos arrived.

J.Lloyd

Oh Lin – good luck with those new Derwent ArtBars — they look wonderful. I checked with Jacksons and they have all the sizes from a 12 set to 72. I wish I could place an order now but I’m still recovering from Christmas ……..but soon!

Joan

Totally new toys

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Feb-2012/179312-DSCN0817.JPG[/IMG]
                                                            Jacksons in the uk will depatch overseas.

Not had chance to try them yet to see what they are/do

They feel odd like a sort of waxy crayon but dryer. They can be broken and used on their sides. The triangular shape can be sharpened for detailed lines. They can be used wet or dry. They can be sharpened and shaved and the shavings mixed with water or thrown onto a wet piece for texture.

Also my open stock Neos arrived.

oldrockchick

I’ve bee having a play – might try using them for the next WDE to see what they can do.

They are like nothing to compare to really. They are a little brittle and broke easily as soon as I put on the slightest pressure. But they are meant to be snapped off so you can peel off the paper and use the sides like you would a pastel. They aren’t squidgy like OPs or dry like pastels. You can use them wet or dry.

If you use them dry they are a little like a wax crayon – except you can blend them and mix the colours by rubbing them with your fingers. They are very crumbly!

You can scrape bits off to drop onto wet paper or mix together similar to the shake and grate of Inktense. If you dampen them the consistency changes, sort of like a very thick wet watercolour pencil and you can use them on paper and they remind me of Neocolours.

You can use them on damp or wet paper. You can drop the crumbs onto very wet paper and they will melt and mix or on moist paper they will stick and make a speckled texture. You can apply them to a dry paper by using a damp brush as you would taking colour off an Inktense block or watercolour pan and paint with them like a brush. You can use a brush to flick colour off them to form textures.

You can apply them thickly in layers or damp and make a thick layer and then scrape into them sgraffito.

They do not need special paper. They can be used on almost any surface.

They come in 4 colour sets Darks Lights Brights and Earths.

Here are some swatches and experiments….

As I said I’ll do something for the WDE with them and post the link here so you can see what they work like.

Jacksons, I believe do sell the full range.

Joan – hope you get the chance to try some.

If anyone is a member of the SAA and gets Paint magazine there is a coupon to send in for a free one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 371 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.