Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Murals done in sections on full sheets of Dibond

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

Have any of you done a large mural using 4×8 or 4×10 Dibond / ACM panels that are then attached to the wall when finished? How did that go for you? I am planning a few murals but I absolutely do not want to paint directly on the wall. I haven’t decided if I want to hide the joints or leave them visible. Hiding them runs the risk of them cracking open later. I have seen several large murals where the artist made no attempt to hide the joints and it looked pretty great to me.

pa-paw

I’m sure many, like me, had no idea what Dibond panels were, so I looked it up. The internet tells me that it consists of two pre-painted sheets of .012″ aluminum with a solid polyethylene core. Your project sounds very interesting. Where are you acquiring the panels and how much per 4’ x 8’ panel?:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
            [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

Sounds interesting.

I saw a mural the other day in a restaurant, took me forever to figure out how they did it but I’m about 99% sure it was panels. There were joints and they looked fine with the design.

I think it probably would depend on the composition on whether the joints were fine or not. I say go with your gut and let us know how it goes.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

contumacious

I am using a Chinese made house brand called Moncor from Montroy Supply. I believe Grimco also has their own house brand. There is a huge savings over Dibond. The aluminum facing on the Moncor is actually thicker than the Dibond. 4×8 3mm $40, 4×10 3mm $39, 59″x10 ft $65, 4×8 4mm $53, 4×8 6mm $69 I prefer the 4mm but it does not come in 10 foot lengths. The 6mm is pretty heavy but could be mounted without bracing using standoffs. The 4mm might need bracing with full sheets. The 3mm definitely would have to be braced with aluminum channel or firing strips on the back for a standoff type mounting. If you aren’t careful handling a 3mm sheet it can fold in half on you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.