Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Blick email: "Try the First-Ever Cadmium-Free Oil Paint!"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trond

Seriously :lol: “first ever”

Dcam
            ~JMW~

A search only seems to bring up Utrecht & Liquitex so far.. I didn’t see anything cad free on Golden..
                http://www.liquitex.com/cadmium-free/

~Joy~

Pinguino

My understanding of the new Utrect cadmium replacements, is that they blend several pigments instead of one or two. The result is supposed to emulate all of hue, overtone, mixing, and opacity. Earlier replacements did not emulate all these properties.

Haven’t tried them, having no use for real or hue cadmiums.

Marketing scam! Today’s cadmiums are not the same as those from the days when made from the toxic pigments. This is nothing new, but been discussed here on WC many times over the last couple of years. I purchase WB and they are superb superfine grind, high pigment load and awesome rich colors. Companies have been blending substitutes for our fine pigments to fatten their wallets. :o

Angel :angel:
                    Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                    http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

JCannon

Angel, I don’t consider it scammy for a manufacturer to produce a cadmium-free red to satisfy those customers who, for whatever reason, do not want a cadmium.

Obviously, that email from Blick could have been worded better.

Utrecht is a fine brand. One thing that does worry me is the inclusion of zinc white in the “recipe” for Cad Red Light. I am not THAT paranoid about zinc, but some have strong feelings about that pigment.

Gigalot

That all looks like serial experiments with Bismuths Yellow PY184. I think, that paint manufacturers want to make adaptation of this Bismuths Yellow as a component for all cadmium-free recipes. To make a useful substitution for Cadmium Lemon, Cadmium Yellow light, Cadmium Yellow deep. Cadmium Red light and Cadmium Red dark. All those formulations contains Bismuths Yellow as a basic component.

Trond

My main gripe is that cadmium colors were not included in oil paints in the early days at all. Yellows were lead-tin and reds were vermilion and red lakes. On top of that, I’m pretty sure that some cheaper brands haven’t used real cadmiums for years.

I thought that was a silly marketing line too.
                                Utrecht is good paint.
                                Non-cadmium options are nothing new.

But there is a big trend in non-toxic, less toxic, whatnot- and it sells, that’s what marketing is supposed to do. It is all about feelings and perception.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

cb3

I thought that was a silly marketing line too.
                                    Utrecht is good paint.
                                    Non-cadmium options are nothing new.

But there is a big trend in non-toxic, less toxic, whatnot- and it sells, that’s what marketing is supposed to do. It is all about feelings and perception.

You are right. Perception is everything. Reality, well, who cares. :lol:

Mythrill

Marketing scam! Today’s cadmiums are not the same as those from the days when made from the toxic pigments.

I’m… not sure what you mean?
                                        Cadmiums are toxic. What happens is that many tubes of cadmium paint today are made from insoluble cadmiums and/or a blend of cadmium-barium. This makes cadmium much less toxic indeed, but it’s still toxic. E.g, it’s not something you should give a toddler to play with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.