Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Alternatives to Fiberglass (Polyester Resin) for large sculptures.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ArtStudent

Hi Everyone,

I’m interested in making largish sculptures (4 feet – 10 feet) and was planning on using polyester resin with fibreglass.

The fumes from polyester make it difficult though, in that I don’t have very many places I use it (with the horrible smell).

Does anyone have any other materials to suggest? I know there are polymer gypsum compounds that many sculptors like, but I don’t know if they are strong enough / the strength to weight ratio etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Canada.

ArtsyLynda

First off, I HIGHLY recommend you get a really good mask to protect your lungs. Safety glasses, an apron or coveralls and good gloves, too. Then you can make a vent hood by using a stove vent hood and running a dryer vent hose out a window. My husband set one like that up in my basement studio for when I’m casting resin.

I’ll be interested to see the answers to your question!

Please do not use fiberglass resin to sculpt with on a regular basis. Anything you breathe goes into your bloodstream and has to be detoxed out. You will eventually harm your health. :heart: Are you wanting to have a finish product when done? Or do you plan to make a mold of it and later have that cast in another material? You can make sculpture out of natural earth clay. Use an internal metal armature (or wooden but that may mold if you are doing a sculpture that takes a long time to make) or one made from pvc pipe with some metal as well. Large sculptures can be made from plaster as well.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
            [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

ArtsyLynda

SculptureDolls, how do you fire a large sculpture with an armature in it? Or do you just make a mold on the clay?

Make a mold of it. However, I am sure that if a piece was not complicated, once the clay has stiffened up, the sculpture could be cut in half and in fireable pieces (big enough to transport and fit in the kiln) and remove the armature. Rejoin and touch up the seamline and fire.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

ArtsyLynda

Thx for the explanation!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.