Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics will pinholes eventually cause a problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    NAZZ

i try to cover the pinholes in my canvas, but there are always a few reappearing after the gesso dries.
        do they cause problems, from a conservation point of view? will it cause eventual canvas deterioration? or does it not matter in the least?
        some of my teachers were very finicky about it.
        but there are just so many layers of gesso i can apply before i’m fed up and ready to start the painting.
        does anyone have any info on the matter? thanks.

"When we speak of Nature it is wrong to forget that we are ourselves a part of Nature. We ought to view ourselves with the same curiosity and openness with which we study a tree, the sky or a thought, because we too are linked to the entire universe." ...Henri Matisse

TxAggieDarlin

Is this on a pre-gessoed canvas? I will come back and see what they tell you…interesting

NAZZ

yeah, the preprimed, prestretched gallery wrap type.
                i always re-prime it myself with utrecht artists gesso a few times till i get the desired texture andthickness. i sometimes use a small firm brush or a palette knife. i have also tried ‘filling’ the holes from the back.
                i really have no aesthetic problems with this myself (hey i want the painting done, otherwise it’ll never get done, right?). but i was wondering if the many artists, who consider pinhole a four-letter word, are justified in so doing….

"When we speak of Nature it is wrong to forget that we are ourselves a part of Nature. We ought to view ourselves with the same curiosity and openness with which we study a tree, the sky or a thought, because we too are linked to the entire universe." ...Henri Matisse

BeeCeeEss

You might try thinning your acrylic gesso a bit more for those first couple of layers. I find it much easier to work the thinned gesso into the texture of the canvas with a stiff brush (like a natural hog bristle brush). I also switch brushing direction with each new layer of gesso. If I put the first layer on with horizontal strokes, I put the next one on with vertical strokes, etc. That also helps to fill in all the annoying little texture “pits” and ensures complete coverage. Sanding the dried gessoed surfaces should also help create an even painting surface.

Other than finding them ugly and annoying (personally), I don’t know that any of those little holes in the canvas will be a problem for an acrylic painting over the long term. It could be for an oil painting if some of the oil paint managed to get worked through the hole and it was making contact with the raw canvas fibers on the back. That could cause the fiber to rot.

I wonder what thoughts others might have on this subject?

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Valri Ary

Ok…here’s a dumb question: Why are there pinholes on your canvas???

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]C&C welcomed ALWAYS!!! Valri
                        www.valriary.com

3chaway9

Hi Nazz,
                            i have not experienced your problem…sounds like you need to change the make of canvas you are using…i’ve had the odd little bump on the canvas though and i search for them before starting and turn the canvas where they are least obtrusive……sorry i cant be of more help.

CARRIE

NAZZ

thanks for all your suggestions.
                                i think all canvas and linen have some pinholes, from what i’ve seen. if u hold it up in front of a light or a window, u can see tiny tiny tiny spaces in the weave.
                                my canvas is a medium wt cotton duck. that’s all i can afford at the moment. but do any of u use a better grade? let me know pls. i’ll keep a lookout for it.
                                i’m also happy to learn acrylic and pinholes are not a match made in hell, like with oils. as for bumps and texture, i don’t mind that at all. in fact, i never sand my gesso, preferring uneven surfaces, to glassy smoothness. this is nothing to do with my hating the sanding sound (aargh) and dust created (cough cough). ;)

i try to cover the pinholes in my canvas, but there are always a few reappearing after the gesso dries.
                                do they cause problems, from a conservation point of view?

When painting in acrylics, almost certainly no.

You might try thinning your acrylic gesso a bit more for those first couple of layers. I find it much easier to work the thinned gesso into the texture of the canvas with a stiff brush (like a natural hog bristle brush).

I also switch brushing direction with each new layer of gesso.

Also a good idea, helps prevent buildup of linear texture with successive layers if nothing else.

…if some of the oil paint managed to get worked through the hole and it was making contact with the raw canvas fibers on the back. That could cause the fiber to rot.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

I also have this issue on some canvases, always assumed the priming was just poor. Glad to hear it’s not a problem. :) Reeeeeally annoying if I don’t notice it until after I start painting though. I definitely notice it more on cheaper pre-primed canvas that I buy occassionally or rolls of unstretched canvas, rather than my usual better quality canvases.

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Serenity

I have sometimes had this happen too, NAZZ. I find it’s only noticeable if I hold the painting with light hitting the painting from behind so it’s not really a problem once it’s on the wall. I also add a couple of layers of gesso over the pre-primed canvasses and the pinholes are hard to spot until you actually start laying on some colour. When I see the pinholes during the painting process, I will make my paint more diluted so that it fills in the hole. Some do still escape my attention though. I think the better quality cotton duck is the way to go as I haven’t noticed the problem so much with it.

Serena

Blog
                                    Website

NAZZ

good suggestions about priming and painting, thanx.
                                        what is a better quality canvas? a heavy wt perhaps, or a portrait/ tighter weave? michaels only has one kind by fredrix, which i can get at 50% off. ( i had to stop stretching my own canvas due to back problems, so have to buy pre-stretched). there is a utrecht and blick i can get to. anything there i can get? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. has anyone tried the polyflax by fredrix?
                                        not that i need to worry now that bcs has confirmed no problems with pinholes.

BeeCeeEss

NAZZ, another thing you might try is giving the back side of your canvas a couple coats of acrylic gesso before you begin your painting. If you buy your gesso in large containers when it’s on sale, it’s not too much of an extra expense. It’s certainly cheap when compared to the cost of the canvas. This has an added benefit of helping to tighten the canvas to make it “drum tight” for your painting surface. I’ve done this with clear acrylic medium to help tighten and seal the back of the canvas fibers (I forget where I read that tip). But using the gesso on the back of the canvas will help fill in those pinholes before you ever spot them.

Canvas quality varies quite a bit. Naturally the more economical ones will most likely not be woven as tightly as the higher grade canvas. Then there is the cotton vs linen choice, as well. For most of us on a budget, we have to balance cost and quality and make the best choice we can afford. If the weave of the fibers is not very tight, there will be air spaces in between and, hence, those annoying pinholes. I know the backs of stretched canvas can be lined, but I don’t know the particulars of how it is done and I doubt that is something that most of us would want to do.

I know I would hate to put a lot of time and love into a painting only to hold it up to admire the finished product and see some little spots of light shining through! The extra coats of gesso are easy and cheap. It should plug up those pesky little holes just fine.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

NAZZ

oh thanks so much, bcs,
                                                that sounds an excellent idea. i’ve got tons of gesso, and the canvas could endure a wee bit more tightening. great idea, i’ll prime the back, cross my fingers, and hold it against the light….

NAZZ

another quick question though, bee cee ess,
                                                    can i prime behind a canvas that has been painted on already (with acrylic) and stretched? or will the primer seep thru the pinholes to the surface? i am so tempted to try it on my four older paintings…

Serenity

I was wondering that very same thing, NAZZ. If you do pluck up the courage to try it, do pop back to let us know if it did the trick.

Another thought – I’m going to buy the 10 ply white cardboard that’s used in fabric crafts. It’s quite sturdy so I thought I might cut it to required size (about 6mm/¼” inside the edge) and staple it to the back of the canvas frame as this would also stop the light reflecting through the pinholes.

Serena

Blog
                                                        Website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘will pinholes eventually cause a problem?’ is closed to new replies.