Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Holbein Folding Metal Palette – Problem with Leaks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

While painting this afternoon, watercolor paint from my new Holbein metal folding palette began leaking all over my hand.

I was painting in my home studio, holding the Holbein palette in my left hand when I suddenly noticed orange watercolor paint all over my hand – toxic Cadmium Orange at that! :eek: I could not figure out how this had happened as my mixtures are not very watery. I washed the paint off my hand, cleaned up the palette and then went back to work.

A little while later I saw that my hand was soaked with watery orange paint again. I checked my carpet for drips of paint but it was okay. What is truly amazing is that there was no orange paint on my palette — only mixtures of cerulean blue, sap green and ultramarine blue.

After a more careful examination of this item I noticed there are two tiny pinholes on each side of the palette. Obviously these pinholes have been drilled by the manufacturer. When I tapped the palette on one side, orange water began dripping out of the hole on the other side!

I have absolutely no use for a leaky palette. My cheap $3 plastic palettes never leaked, but this $50 palette leaks. I cannot believe this. I thought I had just purchased the best folding palette in the world. I was so excited to receive this palette and have been treating it with great care, wiping it clean after each use.

Does anyone here know why in the world these holes have been drilled into this palette? If the holes were put there to act as drains so the palette will not rust, it makes the palette totally worthless for who wants to paint with water dripping into the palm of their hand?

Thanking you in advance for your time!

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Patty H

No idea why…try writing the company. They’ll probably give you a refund or new pallette. :)

Patty

Emme2

I have recently purchased a Holbein #40 size metal folding palette. Purchased it for a trip in November so haven’t started to use it yet. After reading your post, I went and got it to look for pin holes. Nothing! None anywhere that I can see. Filled it with water and tilted it in different directions and no leakage. . . .

Sounds like maybe your “orange water” could be “rust water” and that you may have gotten a defective palette???

I would return it at the very least. Not sure if you want to try another one, but I can tell you mine seems to be fine.

Good luck!

Emme

If yours doesn’t have pinholes, then I cannot understand why mine does. I’m waiting for the reps at Holbein to return from lunch and will post again soon. I purchased the palette from Black Horse Art Supply and according to the receptionist at Holbein, Black Horse is a very reputable company that they deal with all the time.

I have recently purchased a Holbein #40 size metal folding palette. Purchased it for a trip in November so haven’t started to use it yet. After reading your post, I went and got it to look for pin holes. Nothing! None anywhere that I can see. Filled it with water and tilted it in different directions and no leakage. . . .

Sounds like maybe your “orange water” could be “rust water” and that you may have gotten a defective palette???

I would return it at the very least. Not sure if you want to try another one, but I can tell you mine seems to be fine.

Good luck!

Emme

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

I just received a call from John, the owner of Black Horse Art Supply. He is going to send me a new Holbein metal folding palette next week to replace this defective one. :clap:

John said he wants all of his customers to be very happy with his company — and I sure like that attitude! At this point it’s thumbs up for Black Horse Art Supply. :thumbsup:

Emme2

Excellent news! Will be interesting to see if there are pin holes in the new one. I certainly hope not!

Emme

Thank you, Holbein! :thumbsup:

The President of Holbein just sent me this message:

“The tiny holes you see on the ends and side of your palette are there on purpose. These are used to prop up the palette during the drying process of Hand enameling.

As there is some leaking, it would appear that there is a hairline crack somewhere in the hand enameling, probably in one of the paint slots. This can occur as a result of a manufacturing defect or because paint has been scraped out with a sharp instrument, damaging the bead along the sides of the metal.

Please forward your palette to our offices so that we can examine it for you. If indeed it is a manufacturing defect (I suspect that it is) we will replace it, gladly. If you are unable to remove the paint loaded into the palette, please do not worry, we will try to test it with the paint loaded.”

Needless to say, I highly recommend purchasing products from Holbein!

freshcolor

I also have a Holbein metal folding palette. it doesn’t leak but the color beads up. Am I doing smething wrong? Is there a film on the white surface that needs to be removed??? Thanks for any input.

Ruth
                    http://ruthanngreenbergart.blogspot.com/

Brian Bartow

Cindy:
                        Glad you got answers. I have been using my Holbein palette for quite a while now and never had any leakage or any other problems.
                        I second you kudos to Black Horse Art Supply. I have done business with them before and they are the best!
                        Brian

"Love is the only absolute." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

My website: http://web.mac.com/brianbartow/Site/Welcome.html

Emme2

Hi, Ruth, sometimes it helps to take a little soap (without any conditioner/moisturizer) and wash the palette. It will get better the more you use it.

Emme

HarvestMoon

I love Holbein paint- I am really happy they (and the place you bought it) are going to fix things for you…. usually if you give these guys a chance they will make things right!

Harvest Moon 🐐

Neeman

Thanks for the heads up
                                    I purchased my palette but have notused it yet
                                    I will look when I get home

Thanks for the heads up
                                    I purchased my palette but have notused it yet
                                    I will look when I get home

Neeman, is the shiny black surface of your Holbein folding metal palette scratched at all? Or does it have any marks on it?

I just received my replacement palette from Black Horse and it is scratched up and marred more than my first one was which had some minor marks on it which I accepted because I was eager to get to work using the palette.

For $50 I expect a brand new palette to look better than this. :(

insomb

I also have a Holbein metal folding palette. it doesn’t leak but the color beads up. Am I doing smething wrong? Is there a film on the white surface that needs to be removed??? Thanks for any input.

Ruth
                                        [url]http://ruthanngreenbergart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Isn’t the color supposed to bead up? What exactly is the advantage of having an enamel palette aside from staining plastics etc.. I really don’t know. I’ve heard someone say it shows how color will lay on paper in it’s truest form.

Johnnie

Neeman, is the shiny black surface of your Holbein folding metal palette scratched at all? Or does it have any marks on it?

I just received my replacement palette from Black Horse and it is scratched up and marred more than my first one was which had some minor marks on it which I accepted because I was eager to get to work using the palette.

For $50 I expect a brand new palette to look better than this. :(

Pretty simple then, Send it back . Tell him that NEW to you is something that looks a bit better than a piece of tin thats been kicked around the soccer field.. ; – )

Better yet sent THAT one to Holbein.. lol

Johnnie

Spread Kindness Like Confetti !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.