WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity > The Book Club
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
New York, NY

Hails from United States
What should painting be?

What is painting all about (as opposed to drawing?) I've been painting for years, and am not sure I know anymore. Feel very distant from the things I used to like about painting. Struggling with tones, planes, shapes, strength of color, transparency, opacity - not sure I can relate to it any more. I have a very good "wiry line" that I have been trying to suppress for years, since it has no place in realistic painting. I feel that everything that I do, just isn't me, although it is of much higher quality and more mature than what I did years ago. Wonder what to do about it, if anything? Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks, Cathy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Europe

Hails from New Zealand
Re: What should painting be?

Painting is applying pigment and binder to a surface What do you want to paint ? What will make you feel good ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Maybe you need a break from painting? There are many art forms you can learn. I like print making, especially linoleum block. I am not a painter, I sculpt. I have done my share of paintings, but that is not the art that gets me excited.

I look at it this way, there are thousands of people who write books. Some write romance novels, some write hard hitting crime thriller, some write fuzzy animal stories. Art is also a place where you have to find your "genre." Often to do this, we have to experiment. Spend a few days at a decent library and explore all the possible directions you can take your art. Maybe you would prefer to do jewelry, or glass? Maybe you would like to do pen and ink or scratch board? There's wood carving, there's photography. Art is not all about painting, although you would think it was by the numbers of people who paint. Painting and drawing are a core competency for art. The lessons learned in painting and drawing come up again and again and are very useful in all arts.

I can also understand "burn-out" it could be time to change the scene or take a vacation from art. I think after a while of focusing on one thing for a long time, a person needs a break.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
New York, NY

Hails from United States

Clive and CR: Thanks for your nice responses! Will try to reply, tonight isn't the night. I want to give responses as thoughtful as the comments you both made.
I have had this happen several times in my life - going happily along for years creating artwork, learning, improving, being very confident, etc. and then one day - I feel that I don't understand it, maybe never did. It all just drops out, and the feeling to do art fades away. It seems to be a pattern of 10 good years and then 10 dry years. I hope to prevent this from being another long dry spell. Definitely doing some practice every day helps.
I suppose this phenomenon may come about by doing art that I really don't relate to, even though I try very hard and do improve, year by year. That may be why I then draw a blank - maybe just not my thing, although it seems like a good goal. Just a guess. Clive, I do have an answer to your question, want to think about it. CR, your advice is very good, and your work is so inspiring!
Thanks again.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

I think painting is about challenging yourself. Maybe you are in a rut because you feel the challenge is not there anymore? Try to let loose and go out of your comfort zone. It can be very fun and rewarding!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusher
I have a very good "wiry line" that I have been trying to suppress for years, since it has no place in realistic painting.

I struggle with understanding why you're choosing to suppress this 'wiry line'?
Seems to me to be the place to explore when you're not inspired by painting. There really is nothing wrong with exploring your creativity and multiple 'styles' are not uncommon with artists.
Suggest you give yourself permission to explore 'wiry'

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast
New York, NY

Hails from United States

Clive: I like to paint living forms, people, animals and flowers. Buildings too, but full landscapes I don't seem to have a feel for. However, these days I do recognize the desire to "suggest" a feeling or a moment in a painting, rather than delineate subjects literally. Not sure how I'm going to get there, but I know it when I see it (in others' work). This can be done through contrast and atmosphere - but I'm not sure that's the path for me.
CR - Yes I feel tired. Maybe should take a break. Sometimes I will just study art books, read WetCanvas, sketch or do other things that are not actually painting.
La - I have always had a nice expressive wiry line, I am lucky that way, and used to be a cartoonist. Have taken classes over the last few years which discourage the use of line, emphasizing planes (shapes). I do notice that using shapes, these pictures throw themselves together pretty quickly, instead of struggling with curves and outlines. But I miss using the line, which I'm very good at. Last year I started working from "edges" in a painting and would spread out the tone or color from the edge of the subject. That seems to help, it's more like what I enjoy doing. But your advice is good, I think if I get back to linework I will feel more fulfilled.
Red 9, thank you for your comment. Well, comfort zone - these paintings are usually a wild roller coaster, not too comfortable! But that's OK, it's a great learning process!
Thanks, all for your comments.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Saint Charles, Illinois

Hails from United States

Sounds to me like you might want to try a different medium for your painting. I am currently experimenting with painting in layers of glass fusion and when I switch back to oil on canvas it seems so familiar and clear.

I understand creating art is all about the process, but sometimes that process gets in our way. Just time for me to take a detour then and experiment more. You probably have heard the expression that it takes two people to paint a painting - one to paint it and one to shoot them before they over work it. Maybe you could find someone not to shoot you but to inspire you!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast
New York, NY

Hails from United States

ArtisticPeggySue: Thanks for your thoughtful comment! Yes a change in direction (or materials) might help. There are so many ways to paint (or draw). Or do something different, for awhile!
Cathy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Fishers, IN

Hails from United States

I've been in a creative slumps before. Sounds like you are in one. For me nothing gets me more inspired than going to a gallery or an art fair. Checking out what other artists are doing and doing with their work definitely lights a fire, for me anyways. I was in a slump and just not into working on anything early this year. I attended a show back in April and have been knocking out work like crazy the last two months.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
New York, NY

Hails from United States

Mark, you are right. It is so inspiring to see what other artists are doing, and their different approaches. I have been going to the museums the last couple of months, and it has made me feel re-energized and excited. Thanks for your response!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusher
What is painting all about ...?

Simple, beauty. Beauty is of divine origin, therefore you serve God by serving beauty.

johnemmett.com
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Morocco

Hails from Morocco

I have always believed that painting and art in general it's all about expressing yourself , putting your motions in action so that you can share it with others , i think that it's just a temporary phase for you , you maybe in need for inspiration , don't push yourself and try to go back to things that inspired you before.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
S.E. Missouri

Hails from United States

I'm of the opinion that everything you have learned in painting will not be lost if you change directions - think of it as expanding your horizons and building on what you already know rather than quitting a particular method of expressing yourself. For now, find what exites you, makes you want to give it a try and go for it. After all, what do you have to lose? You can always return to painting with fresh inspiration after a vacation from it. I often venture into what would be termed crafts, I'm starting a project now, and find what I already know is useful no matter what direction I opt to try next. No need to regret wanting to try something that makes your fingers itch to try.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Whatever it wants. Art is not about perfection, it's about being yourself.