WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Classical Forum - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
The Bee's Knees-June/July

Attachment 484352

Get out your sketch books, paints or whatever and have a go with things that crawl, creep, fly around (birds, too) and a few flowers, leaves and weeds. Pretty insects or ugly ones, or made up ones. It is nearly summer and already there are ants in the kitchen, and those things with all the legs and a lady bug...plenty of models.

Attachment 484354

Have fun and post your work here so we all can share.

Here are my two favorites:

Attachment 484357

Attachment 484358

and some links:

http://karenswhimsy.com/bee-clipart.shtm
http://www.finerareprints.com/vol_botanical.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Audubon
http://visual.merriam-webster.com/an...-arachnids.php
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland
Re: The Bee's Knees-June/July

Wonderful. I am keen to get started!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Janet, great project. Are we allowed to copy the images from the finearepirnts? They are so pretty!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Sandra, I have no idea if we can copy the prints....they are over 100 years old, and I would say they are in public domain. They are being sold through a dealer....I don't know what that means. Can he copyright them? I don't think so. He is selling the originals, that he has had printed over and over. Seems to me we could copy a few. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I think I'll do one and change it a bit. That should do it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Janet, I looked more clearly at their small print and it says copyrighted. Go to wiki commons.

I am totally enthused when it comes to insects. Tonight, I did four. Photo references from wiki commons. I'm not aiming at total accuracy but practice of colors. When it comes to turtles and insects, I'm not sure why but I keep reaching for bombay india ink every time. Perhaps it's so handy and I'm so familiar with the color range I don't have to guess. When I err in some parts, I just put other colors on top to hide it. The pastel pencils are so easy to use. I use a wrong color, I get a soft tissue slightly moistened and wipe right over it and start all over again. The beauty of using waterproof ink underneath. It's midnight. I have to go to bed. I want to draw another page. Tomorrow.

All done on one page of Super Deluxe Bee Company Heavyweight Drawing Paper 93 lbs 9x12 inch (1/6 page each)
Dr. Ph. Martin Bombay India Ink
Derwent pastel pencils
Stabilo all surface black aquarelle pencil

Credit: Steve Jurvetson from Menlo Park, USA
Source

Credit: Siga
Source
Species: Beetle /Fühlergrube von Polydrusus

Source
Species: Head of Libellula quadrimaculata, Southern Germany 700 m

Source
Species: Front of Lamprodila mirifica

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 AM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Sandra, thank you for informing me of this project and thread. Your insects are bold and very colorful. I think my favorite is the Lamprodila beetle but I recognized all of them. Well done.

The insects in the antique prints above appear to be an aphid (green), and a nondescript beetle. In the second print, what appears to be a tick or something related. Four legs are displayed in profile - meaning, there would be eight in total. Remember, six legs, three body regions (head, thorax, abdomen) are insects; eight legs, two body regions (head and abdomen) are arachnids and related.

Here is an excerpt from my thread in the Art Journals forum ...
W&N Cotman WCs, A3 WC Moleskine Folio.

Here is the link to that thread where more WC beetles are posted: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623756

Another beetle posted in the Watermedia forum:
W&N Cotman WCs in a WC Moleskine.

Pachyrrhynchus helleri Kuntzen 1914
Coleoptera:Curculionidae (= Beetles:Weevils)
Distribution: Luzon, Philippines

And here is a project that I have yet to complete:
Acrylics on an ostrich egg ...

Delbert
http://crookedbeakworkshop.blogspot.com/
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." ~ Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Delbert, so glad you are here. Fabulous pieces to wake us up that insects could be beautiful art. Thank you for posting them here too.

The second print, I see 3 legs on closer to the viewer and one leg on the other side of the body. I'm sure the Japanese could count. LOL. However, I am wondering why the beetle only has two pairs of legs from top down on the first print on the left side. The top two short ones are antenna. Is the pair sticking out above the eye a pair of legs?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Good morning.

Sandra, I noticed the beetle had two sets (four) legs too after I submitted my post. Yes, the first set of appendages are the antennae. I was also confused upon first glance at the number of legs in the second print. But counted the body sections as two. I admit, the illustrations are pretty ambiguous.

Since Janet said birds were also included, here is a gourd I painted in acrylics that I thought you would like to see ...

More here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613096

Delbert
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." ~ Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Sandra, I really like your paintings...the last two are especially nice.

Ah, an actual Entomologist. Welcome to this thread Delbert. You and Sandra prove that insects and bugs can be beautiful.

Birds are good and part of the garden and the gourds are lovely. I saw an article on preparing gourds for painting and hung on to it to try on a rainy day. Yours are just wonderful.

Copyright laws are giving me a big headache...so Im looking for obscure prints, photos etc that i can be inspired by.

Lets have more and more....janet
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafford
Copyright laws are giving me a big headache...so Im looking for obscure prints, photos etc that i can be inspired by... janet

Janet, Thank you for the welcome and positive comments on my beetle and gourd work.

This Flickr group is for posting images that are supposed to be copyright-free and public domain. You can use the search tool in the upper right corner to find something specific ...
http://www.flickr.com/groups/collageimages/

for example ...

Best wishes,
Delbert
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Wow, Delbert, you paint up gourds too? Such patience!! Do you also do rock paintings? When we stayed in Singapore for 3 months, my daughter painted an ostrich egg. She didn't put an insect on it but just some random design but it was a lot of fun indeed.

I don't particularly like to paint birds. Occasionally I would but more often than not. I'll stick to my insects.

Tonight, I brought a snail in but it refuses to stop moving and I keep missing the parts and shadowing. Why couldn't it stay still?

Here's the effort. I assume you allow mollusks at this thread?

I tried Derwent Graphitint pencils and I had to abandon it right away because it was moving too fast. Forget about sketching fast and apply water later on. I couldn't even get the gestures down. Out comes my waterbrush and Sakura Koi set real quickly.

The rest are my experiments with pastel pencil and wash over pencil, white prismacolor pencil, white china marker. Stay with white prismacolor pencil for oil resist even when you wash pastel pencil. It will still show. Not the other two.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM
WC! Guide
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

A snail model?...maybe you weren't paying it enough...What happened to a snail's pace? You are too funny

I think it is wonderful that you experiment with combinations of art materials and then let us know how you make out. Putting some of your mixes in a notebook to try out.

This thread is turning out to be fun.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM
north carolina

wow, awesome work here, ya'll. Looks like the bird is surrounded by a wonderful feast. Love the yellow and blues, Delbert. Beautiful work.

Sandra, I love your adventures with art medium. I will try pastel on ink background..
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Janet, Robin, for your comment. I know. Who would have thought a snail would be slithering too fast. I let it out after a few pix. It must have been shocked with all that glare of the room and click and clank of my equipment.

Did I tell you when I was in Washington last year, I took a huge slug in a Japanese sushi tray to draw on the deck in bright sunlight and it was crawling so fast away that I literally had to keep walking around the table to follow it to draw. Never made much out of it. I let it go free in the front patch but unfortunately it died because that's where I sprayed fixative. Poor slug.

Last night, I did one in Derwent pastel pencils entirely.

Photo Credit: Siga
Source
Species: Head of Hydrous piceus

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

I have done the head of the hydrous piceous in graphitint pencils.