WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States
Developing color awareness, a trip around the color wheel

Which colors do we choose?
How do we mix colors to get interesting grays or darker values?
How do we avoid getting muddy mixes?

Let's find out what our colors can do, discovering the relationships and properties of colors while we take a trip around the color wheel.

There is no easy way to do this, we each have to practice and find out how to make the right choices on our own – we know that two or more of us could draw the same subject and end up using completely different color combinations. Atmosphere, lighting, surrounding objects etc., these and more determine the colors in our lights and darks.

Most color mixing problems come from over mixing and or not understanding the relationships between colors.

There are plenty of color combinations to explore.
Bare in mind many of us use a variety of brands – so please try list the colors and brands you are using when you join in.

Before you begin, if you're completely new to this, do some research on color theory, get some books from your local library or search info on the Internet or even closer still - do a search through the Colored Pencil Library here or other places on WetCanvas.
Study the terminology and read about the science behind it all. I'm not an expert, I'm learning along with you, I have done a lot of studies with my pencils and plenty of reading and I would recommend every beginner start by making a color wheel and understanding the history behind it.
Throughout the thread I hope we do discuss the various aspects and properties of color and color theory etc., but I just don't want to spend too much time developing a long introductory trying to cover every detail in one post.

Here is one of a few color wheel's I've made over the last few years.

Go ahead – make one too! While you're at it, I'd recommend starting a notebook or journal to record your color mixing discoveries

Now let's take that trip around the color wheel...

Beginning with YELLOW since it's at the top of the color wheel and the lightest in value. First trying a bunch of different color combinations using yellow, how light and dark can we go with yellow? I'll do some value scales later, first I want to share some swatches I've made.
Then I plan on trying some sketches or drawings, using the combinations I come up with.

Yellow does not have quite as much of a value range as other colors, but you can significantly darken your yellows in a variety of ways.

You'll notice throughout this thread that I will not be 'avoiding' fugitive colors just yet – I do think serious colored pencil artists must take light fastness seriously, but I also think that in the process of learning about color theory and color awareness, we should understand how to mix color properly in order to work with a limited palette and or specifically a LIGHT FAST (also therefore limited) palette (?) That may not necessarily be the right approach, perhaps one should just throw out those fugitive colors and only learn to work with the more light fast ones... but I can not deny, for me, over the past few years playing with ALL my pencils and learning what you can do with the various colors has been fun and rewarding.

Here are a few examples, I've used all Prismacolors for these – I will try other brands and share how they compare when I have some time, I am going to spend a long time on ''yellows'' – everyone else joining in is welcome to go faster, but I'm going to take my time and try cover each color thoroughly.

1) To go darker and warmer with yellows, I often go this route, sometimes skipping some of the middle colors, but these all help for a smooth gradual change in a large area.

2) This is a common combination with flowers or trees etc., usually I use 'True Blue' instead of True Green, magic happens when you add Violet in the mix and unfortunately it doesn't translate well in the photograph of this swatch. Prismacolor's Dark Green could probably be thrown in, but the Indigo Blue does a nice job for darks.

3) Instead of using Violet, the complementary color to Yellow, the Dahlia Purple which is a little warmer and a little brighter, makes for a more livelier gray, perfect for shadowy areas, the Black Grape really helps for strengthening the darkest areas.

4) Before studying color theory or understanding how complementary colors worked, I tended to almost always go this route (as with #1), seemed the most logical to me. Sometimes it is called for obviously, depending on the subject - great for sunset scenes for example. I may use Tuscan Red to go even darker.

5) Using just the (complementary) color directly opposite to Yellow on the color wheel. If you were to mix the exact same amount of Yellow with Violet, you ought to get a true neutral. A beautiful colored gray is produced when there is much less of the Violet as there is of Yellow. It doesn't show quite as well in the photo, but in the top right and or lower left of this square example, I see a really lovely grayed yellow.

6) This combination is simply gorgeous off-screen. Mixed just the right amounts in the top left corner to get a very handsome gray. Does not translate quite as well in the photo - so you've GOT to try this one at home. It's so attractive to see the three colors shine through each other and make an excellent dark for yellow.
In the top right the Blue Violet is mixed with the Yellow and in the bottom left the Mulberry is mixed with Yellow.

7) So far this is my favorite, it is actually more of a reddish brown in the top left corner, a stunning warm neutral - I love it, the Chartreuse shines through the brown - really lovely, I'll be using this mix of colors a lot, mostly because I love an 'earthy' palette.

I've started a lemon drawing to incorporate all of these mixes. Will try to post it soon when it's finished, I also plan on trying more mixes with other brands and watercolor pencils. If you wish to try this along with me, please join in and share your thoughts.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Enthusiast
São Paulo Brazil

Hails from Brazil
Re: Developing color awareness, a trip around the color wheel

Great article Liesl !
Thank you for the hard work

"I dream, therefore I exist."
August Strindberg
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Ireland

HURRRAY !!!! You did it, you really did it ! Flame Lily, it`s just GREAT ,thank you so much for doing this A lot of work here !
You are the greatest ! I`m going to learn it by heart.
This is the first thread I rated.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Good thread Liesl and thank you for correctly spelling complementary !

Judy
`
` ` ` `
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Thanks for putting this together, Liesl! I will do some playing with color and see what I can come up with to contribute!

Save
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

Aw, thanks for the compliments
(Hehe, Judy, I thought of you the first few times I wrote "Complementary" for this)

I drew a lemon from life, it's not great, it's not technically well done and I could nit pick it to death with all sorts of issues, cast shadow is too strong etc., ... BUT - I mainly wanted to try using yellows and colors that complement them. I used colors from those tests I did above. It's on Pastelbord, and unfamiliar surface for me.

On the left of the lemon, I used the combination #2 above, Prismacolors - Canary Yellow, True Green, Violet and Indigo Blue.
On the top right of the lemon the double complementary scheme from #7 and on the lower right shadow on the lemon I used combination of colors from #3 - Greyed Lavender and Dahlia Purple.
For the cast shadow (that I went a bit overboard with) is with the colors from the double complementary test as well, lots of Mulberry (& too much Black Grape). In the background at the top I used very little Mulberry but a lot of Blue Violet over Canary Yellow. Basically the entire study had a Canary Yellow base.

At least now, when I want to tackle 'lemons' in the future, I'll know a few color combinations to try. I want to do some more lemons but I need to go buy some that are a bit prettier than the ones I have right now. The next thing I want to do is pick a photo from the RIL here at WC and do a part of it and show a value scale for yellow perhaps.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

I discovered a problem I've been having with my new Photoshop and why it's been changing colors when I upload to the web, I'm a klutz and thought it was a problem with WC! Sorry WC! I'm posting this link for anyone who might be having the same issues I've been having, I've learned I need to recalibrate my monitor on my IMac as well. Color Shifts on the World Wide Web.

I re-uploaded the lemon image, I will try and repost those color swatches from above as well and see if they come out better. (Will try to get to that later today)

Oh I took a couple of photo's between drawing ... you can see the ugly little lemon I had to work with

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hi, Flame Lily ! This is a real treat ! Much better ,than chocolate!

If your lemon is not perfect,than I don`t know what is,I still have a loooong way to go to produce something like this !
The thing,which struck me - I never even imagined,that the different parts of lemon (in this case) require so many different combinations of pencils - I would never thought of using different colour combinations on one subject !
This shows,how important it is - to learn not only the theory,but also see,how one could apply the theory to the parctice !
I am impressed even more,than before and I am so happy,that you are sharing it ! It`s real treasure !
Unfortunately,I don`t have Prismacolors,but as soon, as I`ll match my F-C to the colours you mention in your colour charts,I`ll try to draw a lemon too (if you don`t mind) I just bought 4 of them for this purpose !
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
North Texas

Hails from United States

((Elen)) You're so kind! You know your exuberance makes me smile because you have the same `spirit` (if you will) as I feel when it comes to CP's. LOL, it's like we just can't get enough and if we're not careful, we could become cannibals and EAT out PENCILS out of sheer joy for them

Oh goodie! I'm glad you bought some lemons, I must get out of the house soon and go shop for some too, problem is the shop I know that will sell beautiful gigantic lemons possibly with leaves still attached is a far drive from here.

Now, actually, one doesn't need to use as many colors as I did in my lemon - I only did that because I wanted to use them all on purpose in various parts to see which color combinations I liked best. As it turns out... I love them all. I'm already looking forward to getting to ''yellow-green'' on the color wheel, because I know which combination I'd love to do when drawing a "Lime"

Don't worry about not having Prismacolors, you don't have to have them. I don't have but a few FC's - so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to tell you which colors to use. Make some swatches of colors on a separate paper if you want to and test color combinations before working on the real thing.

I know I'm slow... but soon enough I plan to use the other brands of pencils I have too... possibly drawing several lemons with various shades and color combinations.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Lily
((Elen)) You're so kind! You know your exuberance makes me smile because you have the same `spirit` (if you will) as I feel when it comes to CP's. LOL, it's like we just can't get enough and if we're not careful, we could become cannibals and EAT out PENCILS out of sheer joy for them

Exactly ! My husband says,when there`s talk about CPs,I become insane.. I guess,it means I am deeply hooked !
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Oh, thank you. This is great information. Sometimes, I just don't know what color to choose. Please continue.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Liesl, Thank you for posting this!

You've set the lesson out in a *great* format. Looking forward to the next installment!

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States

This is i agreat lesson, really helps to see how they work together, Thanks for all your hard work, Andi
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I'm making this a Sticky since it's an ongoing thing and so anyone can find it.
Thanks again Liesl. ( yes it will go in the Library as soon as you get further along with it).

Judy
`
` ` ` `
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Thank you Liesl, this one I need to read thoroughly.