WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark
MARCH MONTHLY CHALLENGE - Everyone Welcome

Welcome to the March Challenge. The challenge is open to all artists no matter what the experience. This is a fun challenge intended to enrich our abilities. Please, no harsh criticism.
This months challenge is kind of an open book. I dug out some photos from the reference image library for this months challenge. I very much appreciate all those contributors to the RIL and encourage everyone to contribute as well.
The first Image was a contribution from donina. This photo is fairly simple as far as the amount of images and complexity. Feel free to arrange and compose or add to the photo image as you see fit. I think this is the Grand Tetons?

Here is another mountain image from the RIL, finzy contributed.

Feel free to rearrange images to suit your composition. Note the cabin or farm in the back ground.
I also found this next photo in the RIL but did not note the contributor...my appologies. I thought this was a lovely photo and a testy challenge.

lisilk contributed this interesting photo.

Along the Mississippi river in SE Minnesota are bluffs that come out of the valleys overlooking the river. I took this photo on a road trip along the river and this particular bluff is called Maiden Rock. The story goes an indian maiden took her own life by leaping off the bluff. There's more to the story but I hesitate to go any further since I cannot recall the whole event!

I may add a few more images. I had problems downloading the other pictures I had picked for this months challenge. Enjoy!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
Re: MARCH MONTHLY CHALLENGE - Everyone Welcome

Wow - what a great group of reference images, Marcus! I will be doing more than one of these, I hope.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

Great set of pictures, Marcus. I hope I can put the image on paper that popped into my head. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! it's not going to be a blank sheet..........LOL
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Excellent references this month! Thank you very much for hosting, Marcus. The last one speaks to me because I live fairly close to where that photo was taken. I've heard a little about Maiden Rock. Quite an interesting story.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone will do this month.

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

Wow those are lovely. Love the lake one

http://www.oneofakindstudio.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Thanks John, Jen, Scat Daddy and Zuni. These were all images I had in my library to do list. Here is one more image I thought I would add that I think has good potential. Once again, I suggest using your imagination and manipulate the photo to compose a painting from. Generally it is nice to have a foreground, middle ground and background but in this photo there is a suggestion of a background. The challenge as artists is to create a sense of depth and make an interesting painting from a simple image with some potential. Many thanks to paintchristina for the image she shared with us in the RIL...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Hi Marcus. Lovely photos. In fact your the one who made me over sleep this morning. I stayed up late painting a couple of them. When I wake up properly, I'll get photos and get them posted to get us started off for our March challenge. Thanks for hosting...............Lenore
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

As promised. Here's what kept me up late last night. These are both done on Arches w/c paper block 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. Just the little ones. All C/C welcome.

First the beautiful Mountain Vista.

And had to do Jenna's Minn. Bluffs.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride! Anonymous -MRSBB (Lenore)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

I like both of these! I have thought that painting bluffs was so difficult. You pulled it off nicely Lenore! Wish I had your energy!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Great challenge images, Marcus. I'm going to have fun with this one if I can make time for it after my commissions.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast
Colorado, U. S. A.

Hails from United States

very nice, Lenore. It's hard to get the wide open spaces to fit on a 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 card, but you did it!!!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

Lenore inspired me with her seemingy unlimited energy. I did this one this afternoon and showed some of the progress as I went along. I brought forward some images and set some images back. Done in pastel on UArt, 8 1/2" X 11".

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Lenore, you did a beautiful job on both of your paintings. I really love your painting of the bluff. Wonderful textures and a lovely sky! Was it worth the late night?

Marcus, you did such a beautiful job with your pastel painting. I enjoyed the progress shots. What a nice composition, and the flowers are excellent!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM
A WC! Legend
ARIZONA/COLORADO

Hails from United States

Thank you Marcus, Scatdaddy and Jenna for the nice comments. They were fun to do.

Wow Marcus. Thank you for the demo. I absolutely love that photo, but didn't think I could pull it off. And here you go and just spread the beauty of those lovely flowers so nicely across your painting. I also love pastel paintings. There is something extra nice about them that seems to bring more life to a painting. You got really good depth in your painting also.............Lenore
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

great job Lenore I really like the bluff one particularly

Marcus.. what a beautiful rendition of that flower field. Love pastels... you did this so well.

http://www.oneofakindstudio.com