WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2003, 06:07 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Smile WIP- Clay relief carved support landscape painting

I am going to sculpt, then fire, then paint this clay landscape with acrylics...and thought it might be fun for others to witness either a total flop or something possibly interesting!

I will be using a reference of a rock structure off the Wetmore Landing beach three miles north of Marquette, Michigan on Lake Superior. I've painted plein air several times there, as well as some instudio. I figure since this project is experimental for me, it might serve me best to work with a familiar subject.

Here's the clay press, and I set it to roll out a slab about 3/4's of an inch thick....

a canvas bed, with a canvas tarp over the top of the clay, then forced thru steel rollers...here is the clay all ready for me-

I cut the clay 13" x 17" knowing that there is a significant shrinkage..hoping for a 12" x 16" size when done. I can sand or even grind on a stone grinder should it be a little large, and could actually frame the piece then if I choose to-

I will use these tools, loop tools for removing of clay with various shapes. Wood tools for smoothing and shaping, also for drawing-

now....here is the clay. The common thing most artists would do would be to draw the drawing out on light newsprint, then set the drawing on clay and either poke small pin holes thru the drawing or press a pen over the lines. Not me though..hahha... I just grab a wood tool, and draw, then begin to remove clay-

Here is how it begins to look about mid thru my first session-

and here's what I end with today-

I have to keep it wrapped to prevent from drying too quickly. Tomorrow, I'll carve shapes of trees, and decide to go deeper if I want...but even though I'd like it lighter...it has to remain strong.

Cracking is going to be the big concern.

I also thought after this experiment, perhaps I'll do another, and mix up a large batch of plaster, and create a plaster mold. From that mold, I could lay a slab of rolled out clay over the mold, and use it as a press mold. In essence...I could make a limited edition of clay impressions that way. Should be interesting...but, there are no guarantees yet!

Larry

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 02-17-2003 at 06:10 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States
WOW!! Another fascinating, enlightening and just plain beautiful Larry Seiler project. I was excited when you first mentioned it, and now seeing it in process is just awesome.... This is going to be soooooo beautiful.... Looking forward to watching its development.... Thanks for sharing your visions with us, Larry...

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2003, 09:47 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
Larry, what a great project. I have never worked with clay in this fashion. Thank you for giving a demo of this process. We are always interested in new things here in mixed/alternative

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2003, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
thanks Justjo and Sassy...

I did woodcarving of wildlife for a number of years at the competitive level and scene...and that really solidified more what I needed to do with flatworks painting wildlife to make my subject appear even more real.

I found it interesting as I was taking away clay. Really forced the eyes to make more sense of the photo reference I was using. To represent properly the planes, angles...dips, and rolls of waves, the rocks, etc;

this turning out...will be something I'll hold my breath on, as many things with clay can go wrong. Have to be careful that this dries slowly...

take care,

Larry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Depends on the Day!

Hails from United States
Wow stepping out of your comfort zone is so exciting, educational and im sure frustrating at times. Thank you for sharing your steps in this.
After this you should be a dimensional guru of sorts!!
I cant wait to see how your final ends up!!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States
That's a really neat idea! I can't wait to see how it comes out.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2003, 11:19 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Red face Update...

Well....the clay has been showing some stress of not drying uniformly. That is to be anticipated with the clay having various thicknesses.

I saw some small potential hairline fracture cracks in the making and wrapped it all up to slow the drying process down. I think the inevitable though, will be that it will crack and prove itself not good for a support to paint.

So...I plan on a second attempt, which while the clay is wet I'll make a plaster press mold. I'll add eventually the steps of that process here...making for a more complete and interesting potential WIP.

I'll build a clay wall around the relief, and pour plaster on top of the relief image. When dry, I will have to pull the wet clay off (of course ruining the relief original).

Then...I can roll out another tile, perhaps thinner....and then lay that over the mold to press into the texture.

That tile is then allowed to sit, dry...and go thru the natural shrinkage so as to release itself from the mold.

Then...I'll probably mix up an epoxy to pour into the backside cavity of the relief both to add strength and support. I could also at that point insert a hanger if I wanted to let the piece hang as is. Though, still aim for it to be framed.

Just to update you all....

live and learn....

Larry
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Caledonia, Michigan

Hails from United States
I can see Larry now in his "Jekyll and Hyde" laboratory mixing plaster with an evil laugh....muwhhaaaaaaa!! LOL Cant wait to see what happens!!

Bob

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil has to be lead.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2003, 07:21 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Well....the clay survived the kiln. I spent about an hour or so after school tonight painting it, but took the picture in poor lighting. I will reload a better image tomorrow because I think it looks much better than this image reveals. Still...wanted to give you an update.

One thing that was cool is a number of folks walked by and stopped in my room after school and had no idea it was a relief. Just that it looked very nice. I encouraged them to look a bit closer...and then they began to see it. At that point they were totally floored.

One thing I learned was...grinding or sanding it down to proper frame size is out of the question. Can't do it without risking chips.

I'm inclined to really try a plaster press mold now too.

Will reload a new image tomorrow. This has been fun....

Thing I'm thinkin' of next is...perhaps there is another material I might want to try. What about a resin cast? Lighter....more durable.

I might begin another thread here asking ideas about that one!

Larry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2003, 09:35 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Smile alright...here is a better picture

Okay...better lighting this morning, better pic to share-

I'm seriously looking into how to make resin castings of such...lighter, more durable..

Larry
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Foothills of Alberta

Hails from Canada
Larry

Great job, I love trying new things with clay ( my medium is Sculpty )
What a Project!!
Didn't quite know what belonged on this forum, but now I see, pretty much anything?
I work more on the cartoon side of things, and usually hang out in the sculpure forum, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people check that site out.
Think I shall try a post here.
Once again Hats Off great piece of work.

Foxfritz
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
New Jersey, USA

Hails from United States
This rocks!

Get it?

Rocks?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Ok, no, seriously...

this is fantastic to see develop. Looking forward to more...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2003, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
great lakes area

Hails from Canada
clay painting

Dear Larry, I just posted a thread asking if there were any potters around, and then came across this thread. You have done a spectacular job with this landscape.

I don't understand why you have painted the surface of the clay out of the picture. Please don't take this the wrong way, but clay is my first love, and the mud must come thru for me. Otherwise, your wondrous work is just 2 and not 3D. I hafta look at it all again.

Please understand that this is not a criticism, but a question.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
great lakes area

Hails from Canada
landscape

ok ok I take it back. On second look, there is more 3D than 2. I am pouting now, because I cannot feel it with my hands and drool on it.

If you try again in clay, will you color it with ceramic under and over glazes? Please? And you have a kiln. Really pouty now, and starting to whine.

I really gotta lose some envy.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2003, 11:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
thanks Christina...

I teach ceramics K-12....as part of my curriculum, have a great kiln...

yes....I do glazes and such ordinarily,

with this...I was looking for a prototype for an idea to share with galleries.

The intention now will be to work with oil based clay, build a relief, then working with silicone type substances to create a mold from the oil based relief. From there....produce resin copies that would be very light. These then to be hand painted in a similar fashion that I did to the clay model/prototype.

It would be like a limited edition in a way....of a relief. Light enough to actually then be framed. Another thing I'm thinking of is seeing if I could hook up with a fine wood maker whom could make recessed end tables where the relief could be dropped down into, then covered with glass.

glad you like....

it wasn't painted with traditional under or over glazes simply because I wanted to discuss possibilities with galleries. To see if they'd like my resin edition idea.

Larry