WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Gainesville, FL & Cape San Blas, FL

Hails from United States
Tab Bead tutorial/pictorial

This first picture shows the stained glass pieces that I started with. These are all Kokomo glass.

The first and most important thing to do is to make a good cylinder. The ends are not important at this point, just try to make the cylinder as concentric to the mandrel as possible.

Now I've rounded over just the left end. You want to bring the glass almost to the mandrel if you want the ends of the tab to be fairly small. By fairly small, I mean that there isn't a blunt end on the tab.

Now, both ends are rounded over almost to the mandrel, and the bead given a pleasant, smooth shape end-to-end. By changing the shape of the bicone, you can affect the bead. For example, making the bicone larger on on end will result in an almost heart shaped tab.

The finished bead. It is 1" wide, and about 1 1/8" long. I mash the hot glass using my marver, and a 6" square graphite pad. Be careful to not mash too much, or the glass will be so thin across the mandrel that you might break it removing it from the mandrel.

If you mash the bead really flat, you'll get the round shape like on the left. If you barely mash it, the shape be be more elongated like the tab on the right. The ends on the bead on the right should have been smaller. This is what happens if you DON'T bring the glass all the way to the mandrel when you are rounding the end over. Please excuse the fingerprints on the left bead, apparently Vivian has been fondling them

I hope you find this useful. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if there is a step you don't understand.

Bill

PS - I'd be more than happy to show anyone this technique. If you are ever driving I-75 through Gainesville, make arrangements to stop in sometime !!

Last edited by BillBrach : 01-22-2003 at 06:28 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2003, 08:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Makes perfect sense, thanks Bill!

Val
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States
I love that blue bead in your tutorial. Kokomo is a wonderful glass. They have thousands of color combinations and textures to choose from. It's a lot cheaper than Bullseye and Spectrum too.

I use a lot of it in lamp repairs. The color doesn't change much, if any when fired in the kiln. The trick is learning to score and break it. That takes time and practice.

Thanks for the open invitation!! When I go down to Lake City, we will definately get together.

Sara (former Gator Girl)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Elverta California

Hails from United States
From what I understand, you can't just take a couple of colors of any stained glass and use them together. The COE's are very likely to be different. Bullseye only guarentees their fusible line, the rest are not recommended for working in the kiln or the torch although you can use any glass all by itself.

Fusible glass is more expensive because they have to be so careful with the COE.

I have not heard that Kokomo is graded as fusible.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Bill- thanks for your detailed information session
I give this--5 stars.
Now I've just gotta try this. Will let you know how it works out.
Jessica
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast
Gainesville, FL & Cape San Blas, FL

Hails from United States
Kate,

My tutorial was not intended to be an endorsment of Kokomo glass and its compatibilty, but how to make a tab bead. Whether you use rod or flat glass is really unimportant.

But, I can assure you that Kokomo is NOT 100% compatible in the flame, so your point is well taken...

And, you take that 'compatibility' risk with Effetre, being there are colors and styles in that line that are incompatible. Now, people are mixing Lauscha and Effetre and discovering compatibility problems.

I would love to buy 50 pounds or so of Bullseye stained glass or better yet for me, Spectrum 96. But, so far I have not been able to get these manufacturers to part with scrap in this small of a quantity !! They want to sell me 2500 lbs. at once

Bill
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kamloops BC

Hails from Canada
Thanks for posting this Bill. It does help to know what shape to start out with.

Quote:
From what I understand, you can't just take a couple of colors of any stained glass and use them together. The COE's are very likely to be different. Bullseye only guarentees their fusible line, the rest are not recommended for working in the kiln or the torch although you can use any glass all by itself.

There are a lot of glasses you can use (& sometimes mix if you are careful) that aren't sold as tested compatible. Bill & I both use stained glass a lot. It is just a beautiful glass. Because it is not manufactured for hotglass work most companies are not willing to go to the trouble of doing compatability testing but that doesn't mean it won't make great beads.
Kokomo won't certify any of their glass as compatible. I wrote them asking about that a while back. Having said that I do use it in beads & haven't had any problems with it. I mix the colors as well as use it with Bullseye. I love it for the great opals & transparent colors. The opaques are nice too. This is a pic of two Kokomo beads I just pulled out of the kiln this morning. I was trying out an opaque red & orange.

Just great colors!

Flame On Glass

Last edited by quill : 01-22-2003 at 12:22 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
Thanks Bill for the great info! I've really enjoyed this thread! I've added it to our 'Glass Class 101' sticky thread.
Cheryl
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:07 AM
A Local Legend
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Thanks so much Bill! I really do appreciate this! This is what I was doing so I know I'm on track to getting rounder tabs!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 AM
queensland

Hails from Australia
Re: Tab Bead pictorial

Will give this a try right now, thanks for the info