WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 PM

The Sculptor's Stand

This is our new chat thread that anyone can join in and say hi or share something they wanted to say but didn't want to start their own thread for, whatever it is, just say it.... here at our very own Sculptor's Stand!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Last edited by sculpturedolls : 12-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: The Sculptor's Stand

Well, I'll start. Merry Christmas everyone!

Making art since 1973-ish.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Nations

question please. i didn't see info elsewhere in wc. i have created a youtube video, how do i get it to post in wc sculpture?? can i just type in the youtube.com/path? thanks
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Saje- I've only seen you tube video's show up in wc as a link. So just post the url and then we can click on it.

UHN- Hope you had a nice time with family and everyone else too. As for me I sculpted! But I have lots of family time at other times of the year too.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Sorry I've been "absent" for a few days - we had Christmas with our kids at their place and then went to the movies Christmas evening (to see "The King's Speech" which was excellent!). The relief medallions I made as gifts for my daughter's employees were a big hit. I'll post a picture sometime soon.

Hope y'all are having wonderful holidays!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I was sick as a dog all weekend. I started to come down with a cold about tuesday of last week. By Saturday, I slept all day. Sunday i did a little but still was a bit loggy. I did a very small amount of sculpture. Very small-- like one leg.

I usually shut down over the winter months. I get seasonal depression and just sleep a lot and try to stay warm-- read a book and watch videos.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

UHN - sorry you're sick! I got sick this morning (the 26th) and still feel pretty rotten, but at least I felt good yesterday. I sure hope this is a 24 hour bug!!

As for seasonal depression - I get it too, but last year, I researched those SADD lights. They cost a LOT of money ($300+) and my hubby, scientist that he is, researched the light spectrum, etc., involved. He figured my daylight photo floods I use to do photography for my website were close to what the SADD lights put out. I found if I spent 30 min to an hour with both my photo floods shining on my face, I was much more cheerful all day. If you have photo floods, give it a try! Hope it helps!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

It's more like a 72 hour bug. I am glad it is not the flu. I'm now on about the 4th or 5th day. I have a bit of a froggy throat, and minimal post nasal drip. I feel much better.

I'll look into getting some more full spectrum lights. My desk lamp has one.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

My bug is a 48 hour one (so far!). I'm feeling better and am interested in trying to accomplish more than just reading stories on my phone, as I've been doing since my shoulder surgery! I'd gotten away from that a bit since my shoulder's feeling better and I can actually get some real live work done in short bursts now, but this bug laid me low. I told my hubby is just isn't fair. I've had enough to deal with this year! Then again, this time last year, I was still recovering from Swine Flu - it took me until March to get my energy back. I hope I'm never THAT sick again! Argh . . . (And I took Tamiflu and it helped - I would've been even sicker without it. Tamiflu probably kept it from getting into my lungs, which would've been baaaaaad, since I'm asthmatic and react very badly to illnesses that hit my lungs.)

Feel better soon!! And I hope the lights help your SADD too!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Now working on day 3 of the bug . . . grrr. At least I'm getting a TINY bit of work done on a story I'm working on. No energy for art at the moment. Bleaugh. And I have to trek through the snow to get to the studio anyway (path's clear, but still, it's COLD outside!) Hope y'all are staying well or in UHN's case, are NOW well!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 PM

So far my household (me and the hubby) haven't gotten sick this season. We hope to stay that way. Last year we were in the habit of using hand wipes that we kept in the car. We still have them in the car and use them on occasion. But when we see the cold season is here, then we're vigilant with them.

Lynda- Swine flu- eeks! I'd be really scared to have that. Glad you made it through okay girl. You've got lots of sculpting to do.

Is your outdoor studio one that you custom built for you?

My husband and I had thought of building me an outside one but then felt like I wouldn't be there with him. Since it takes hours and hours of time to sculpt, we wanted to be together even though so quiet and concentrating on our art (he in another room writing his book).

How has being outside worked for you? (Other than freezing on the way out).

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I got the swine flu after we went to NYC to see the Macy's Parade in person, go to the theater, etc. We were RIGOROUS in our use of hand sanitizer. I got the swine flu about a week or ten days after we got home. Grrrrr.

My studio is inside a metal pole barn - Ohio's climate isn't conducive to having a real "outdoor" (open air) studio that you can use year round. In the summer, the temperature is too high for plastilene to behave nicely, and in the winter, it's too stinking cold to work outside!

I have a 14' x 20' (or 24 - neither of us can remember right now) insulated, heated and a/c'd room that my hubby built for me inside a metal pole barn with a concrete floor. It has two windows, one on each side of the corner of the building, and a vent fan, good lighting and a high ceiling. Also french doors with an area over them that's removable in case I build anything huge that needs more space to get out of the studio (like a life-size - the studio was built before I'd heard of digital enlargement). The area in the barn where my studio is was meant to be machine storage (hence the name of that barn - the "machine shed" - as opposed to the "barn" which is where the horses live). There is no plastic under the concrete in my studio, so the floor gets cold. My hubby put plastic down in his shop area (the opposite front corner of that barn) so the floor stays warmer. That was the only area either of us thought would be used by people rather than machine storage when the barn was built. My studio was built inside that barn within a year of the barn's construction, LOL. Short-sighted us!

I *love* having my own space where I can keep my tools, reference books, etc. and tack things on the walls that are helpful, and have three sculpture stands with various things on them and be as sloppy as I want without having to clean it until *I* need it clean! Working in the house was a nightmare!

I've taken over a room in the basement to use as a painting studio too (not that I paint that much) which is great because again, I can spread out, have easels and my painting cart (with the glass top underpainted gray so I can mix colors better) and whatever supplies and materials I want. I can't use spray paint (to finish resin reliefs) in there because the hot water heater (gas powered) and furnace (also gas) are there, and I can't do anything that might be flammable. I do spray painting in my sculpting studio - I have an overspray box (home made) and vinyl gloves so I can do what I need to there. I wish the studios were closer to each other - it's a pain carrying things from one to the other, but I do need each of them, so I'm glad I have that much space to work in.

My hubby works in an office across town, so he's gone during the day. I sculpt during the day and stay inside and snuggle with him and our cats in front of the TV in the evening.

I used to sculpt in the house, but it kind of "took over" the kitchen or whatever other room I used, and I needed lots of storage, etc., so the studio in the barn was necessary. When he stays home (such as this week), we both pursue whatever we're working on during the day and still have our evenings together, and that suits us. We see each other at meals and we help each other on projects, so we still get a lot of time together. If we need each other and we're out of hollering range (we do live on a farm, y'know), we call each other on our cell phones. If one of us is on a tractor and can't hear the cell, we go looking for each other. It all works out.

Last edited by ArtsyLynda : 12-28-2010 at 02:57 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM

That's cute, I get a good picture of how you guys live. Sounds like paradise to me. I guess it would be about the same for us if I had the studio outside because really we don't see each other much until lunchtime and the dinner, then time with our cat and the boob tube as we like to call it.

I'd be able to concentrate that much better with no distractions at all. Do you like to sculpt with peace and quiet or music in your ears? I like pure quiet. Every once in a while I'll sculpt to music but I have to be doing something that doesn't require concentration.

When we built our home I made one of the rooms for my studio but it is a small space. But I get by and until I really need a bigger studio, I'll stay put. If I do a lifesize, then one of our cars will be parked outside and the garage will be utilized.

Hey, they just put horses in on the property next to us so I may be doing a relief come spring and sculpt a horse for fun. I can just coax one over I guess with an apple or something (I can give whole apples can't I, I think that's what I did as a kid one time). They used to have cows (which are so cute too) but now they brought in horses. I love horses!

Across the street they have a miniature horse farm. Then we have sheep and goats on the other property and a pig farm a couple properties down. So animal life all around us but we keep our six acres mowed like a park and have one cat, Lionel, for our entertainment. Then we have koi fish and pond.

It was fun to hear your story of your wonderful studio spaces.

~SD

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I have a wide variety of CDs on my 10 cd boombox in my studio. I'm a trained singer (my degree is in music) so I sing along with Sandi Patti, Sarah MacLaughlan, Enya, Judy Garland, Linda Eder, Josh Groban, Il Divo, Sarah Brightman, Simon & Garfunkle, the Eagles, Chicago, etc. What I listen to depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing detail work (like the rider's face in "Tolt"), that's "slogging through the mud" work, the kind of thing that makes me tense and that I really have to focus on. While working on that kind of thing, I will usually listen to talk radio - Neal Boortz is my favorite. He's a hoot, sarcastic, funny and I can either tune him out or laugh at what he's saying. He's on in the morning, and that's usually when I sculpt. If I'm doing the initial laying on of clay or the beginning serious carving, I'm singing with my CDs and having a lot of fun. I also do that while sculpting hair (manes, tails, rider's hair) - the flow of the hair is difficult and painstaking to sculpt, but as you know from your own (gorgeous!) work, it also has to look loose and free. It's so RICH in many ways, it just gives me joy to do, so I sing along with my CDs. I rarely work in the quiet when I'm sculpting.

Writing is a different story. I write in a totally quiet house. There will be no noise but the tinkling of the cats' tags and bells as they move around the house and the sound of the air conditioner or furnace turning on and off. I rarely write fiction when my hubby's home because he seems to require some news show or the Sci-Fi channel to be on all the time for him to be happy. Well, he also likes the Science and History channels, but still, he likes noise and I don't. When those people on news shows get to talking over each other (when they have four talking heads all giving opinions), I have to leave the room. Drives me CRAZY! Oddly enough, I can write factual stuff (my blog, magazine articles, etc.) with his shows on with no problem. My imagination doesn't have to run as freely for those things as for fiction, I suppose. That must be why the shows don't distract me as much.

I have an office with a nice desk computer where I write most of the time, but since my shoulder surgery, I've been pretty much on the laptop all the time (so I can be in my recliner for when I tire out, which is still fairly often). My laptop goes on my little tray table by my chair when I need to rest and is close at hand when I want to work, which is great, but I'm also "in range" of his TV shows when I'm downstairs and working on the laptop.

If you want to feed the horses apples, cut the apples into wedges first. You can also feed them carrots - it's easiest if you cut them into chunks about 1" long first. If you aren't familiar with horses, you'll have more trouble holding on to either the carrot or the apples while they bite off a suitable piece. It would be best to ask the owners if they mind their horses being given treats like that. Some horses are on special diets for one reason or another. Apples are pretty rich food for horses and can cause several serious diseases if they get a lot of them - if they get under a tree that's been dropping apples, for instance. If the horse has a history of one of those diseases (founder, mostly), he shouldn't have apples except in very limited quantities, which is why you should ask if it's okay to give them treats. Carrots are fine.

Be sure to feed the treat with your hand held flat - horses can't see what's at the end of their noses, so if your finger feels like a carrot, they will bite it, with no malice intended! Be particularly careful with the miniature horses - they get a VERY restricted diet because of their size, so even their treats are usually limited.

It sounds like you have a plethora of fun subjects to study around you! That's great! Make friends with your neighbors and when you take photos of the animals for your work, take LOTS and LOTS of photos, because just a second's difference in timing can make the difference between an ordinary pose and an extraordinary one. Set your camera to "sport" or "fast" speed in case they run and play - that will keep their legs from blurring. If you ask your neighbors to let you run your hands over their horse (when it's tied up safely and they're' there to supervise, since you aren't familiar with horses), you can run your hands over the horse's face, body and legs and you'll be amazed how your hands knowing the feel of a live horse will improve your sculptures of horses. That's how I did my very first portrait and despite the fact the bronze doesn't have a huge wide blaze on the horse's face (called a "bald face" because it covers the whole front of the head and spills over the sides of the face a bit), people who know that horse recognize him from the bust. That's pretty darned amazing to me!

I imagine your six acres is beautifully landscaped. You seem the type of person to have gorgeous, lush flowerbeds and landscaping. I can't work in the flowerbeds like I used to be able to between carpal tunnel (can't pull weeds) and allergies to a lot of stuff, so our landscaping is simple. Plus we have a 2 acre yard we mow with a 7' wide mower deck behind our farm tractor and a zero-turning-radius mower for trim (we actually race, with me driving the big tractor), so having "pods" of landscaping here and there in the yard like many people do isn't really feasible. We just don't have time to do the trimming and weeding complicated landscaping requires. Our old farm was only 5 acres and we had up to 7 horses on it for a while (when we were raising babies - four of those seven were young'uns). I'd fence all but an acre of it for horses and goats if I had your land, LOL. I'll bet yours looks beautiful, though!

I've rambled on a bit here - sorry about that! Hope my suggestions are helpful.

Last edited by ArtsyLynda : 12-28-2010 at 07:29 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Your suggestions are very helpful and thoughtful too (don't want any missing fingers, hee, hee).

I too have my laptop that I use in my easy chair and then a desk tray that I set it on when I'm done. Much more comfortable for me to use a laptop then the table top kind.

Have you tried taking videos of your horses and then stopping them frame by frame to see whatever angle you want? I think it was Veryl Goodnight that uses that type of technology that way (if my memory serves me correctly). I've thought of doing that for my figure work. Getting a model and then doing a wrap around video of their body. It would save a million photos to take and then I could get so many angles.

Back on landscaping, I'd rather sculpt then pull weeds so we have our landscaping not too difficult. Brick pathways and patios along with two easy maintenance Trek decking takes up a lot of the space. Then surround that with Blue Aptos Redwoods, bushes etc. and all I have is a lot of spraying to do. And then the mowing....

We have my nephew come and get on our 6' zero point mower and zip up the mowing for us. We used to use a tractor with a 4 ft. mower behind it but it took so long to mow.

That was a good suggestion about taking lots of photos on the fast speed because so quickly that extroadinary pose could be gone.

Great that you do creative writing too. I can write right through the evening news and all that stuff my hubby likes as well.

I love to sing that kind of music too. Sometimes an Enya cd is what I'll listen to as well. Sarah Mclaughlin style is what I enjoy singing too. I say we've got a lot in common. Okay, come over and lets do karaoke (ha, ha).

Well, I better get back to office work for today.

~SD

Last edited by sculpturedolls : 12-28-2010 at 08:41 PM.