WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM

New Studio, Wall Color?

I'm about to put up drywall in my studio and am wondering if white is the choice insofar as wall/ceiling color where drawings and paintings will be photographed with a need for color accuracy relevant to repro work? I'm assuming it should be white in the interest of reflecting as much light as possible but does it matter much if it's a cold or warm white or shade of off white? Is there a brand/shade of white paint that's favored for this application?

Thanks...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Re: New Studio, Wall Color?

I know it's too late, but what color did you paint those walls? Painted mine a butter yellow with white trimming. Hung black flowered valances with white wooden blinds.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM

After researching this a bit more with the hard core photography crowd, I realized that the amount of objects of various colors and intensities of colors that were going to be located in my studio would pretty much negate any effort I could make toward a "perfectionist" or "uber-professional" result in terms of utter neutrality for photographing my artwork.............I'll never achieve an industrial "grey card of a room" with this space no matter how many friends and relatives I beg storage space from for that red chair/yellow paints cabinet/brown easel/blue and yellow tool handles/ etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum. What I wound up doing was just to put up the sheetrock, tape and mud the joints & corners, and let it be. Somehow it "fits" as an art studio and I have no qualms about thumbtacking 5 or 6 studies right up on the wall. The drywall is sort of close to a "grey card grey" anyway and the patches of white drywall mud probably give it some sort of subconscious balance....lol. It's what I'm going to go with for the time being, at any rate...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
East Coast of Canada

Hails from Canada

I just painted over my buttery yellow with Benjamin Moore (Sugar Cookie) and I have about the same colour trim. this is a lovely light neutral off white and I like it. Plus I took down all my artwork on the wall and I find that it removes distractions. I can focus on the artwork on my easel. And the room seems so calm.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCharleston
After researching this a bit more with the hard core photography crowd, I realized that the amount of objects of various colors and intensities of colors that were going to be located in my studio would pretty much negate any effort I could make toward a "perfectionist" or "uber-professional" result in terms of utter neutrality for photographing my artwork.............I'll never achieve an industrial "grey card of a room" with this space...
While that's true I would still strongly recommend white walls both for the help towards the original goal (not a fix, but it helps) and also for a second one - white reflects more light, giving you more bang for the buck from your lighting. This is why good darkrooms are painting white, not the black that one might expect.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast
Virginia

Hails from United States

I just renovated my basement, a third of which is now a studio. Painted the walls and ceilings satin finish Pegasus, an Olympia Paints (sold at Lowe's in the U.S.) color. Spent a long time comparing the Pegasus paint chip to all other colors of paint chips to really get assurance that it was neutral. I quite like it, it's ever so slightly gray but seems to me to be utterly neutral and is pleasantly non-glaring.

I wanted white walls so that the wall color wouldn't compete or clash with art I hang up, but I'm itching to paint the studio entry door a tulip pink and one accent wall a sort of soft olive green. But for now, I'm loving how much light bounces around the room.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Hails from United States

FWIW... A while back I took an actual Kodak gray card to Home Depot and had them mix up a batch of paint to match that (they scan the card, then somehow formulate the paint to match the scan). It's a very good match... I used that paint to cover one of the walls in my studio. Now, to photograph my paintings, I hang the painting on that wall and get a very nice neutral background. In Photoshop, it's then easy to use that backdrop to adjust white balance and also to adjust brightness.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

so, you all are going with whiter studio walls? just did mine a coupla years ago in a warm grey, but wondering, is that causing my work to be more 'dirty' and darker than I want? I like color and light, and just seem to be missing the mark for a while.

I have good north light, and good fixtures, and the walls are not dark at all, but they are grey.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

]
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Difficult to maintain, I have a pale green and wouldn't change it for anything.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

Bright walls can create glare on your painting, making it difficult to get the values and hues right. Brightly colored walls can influence how you see the colors on your painting as well as on the subject and to some degree even the photograph you are painting from. Ideally the walls should be flat black so the artist can totally control the light falling on the painting and the subject, but for most people that would be a bit much to deal with. Mark Carder suggests hanging black fabric directly behind you in order to reduce reflection on your painting surface. If you go that route then you can paint the walls any color you want.

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/classes/...ur-studio.html

Though I don't always work this way, I was quite surprised by how much easier it was to match colors with a dark studio, lights only on the painting, palette and the subject or photo.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:13 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Nations

I have to agree with contumacious. Light or brightly coloured walls bounce all sorts of reflected lights around, and often you won't even be consciously aware of it. It can really throw off your colours and values.
A dark matt neutral colour would work well, but I understand it can be a bit depressing working in a room with dark walls, especially if you have to rely on artificial lighting depending on the time of day and/or weather.
I have white walls, so I try to paint a reasonable distance from it, and view from different angles to see if bounce light is affecting anything. A matt white finish isn't so bad, but I would never go for a light coloured tint.