WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Stained glass painting supplies

Hi all,

I am looking for some supplies other than Pebeo Vitrail and Pebeo Vitrea for painting on glass... I heard a lot of praise on Lefranc & Bourgeois glass painting media (also called "Vitrail"), but they seem to be non-existant in the US. Do you know any other brands/suppliers?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Re: Stained glass painting supplies

It depends on whether you want to fire your glass in a kiln, or cook it in the oven.
Color Magic is a line of lacquer based paints that you can harden in your kitchen oven - they are durable, but not permanent. Unlike the Pebeo colors which are water soluble, these need a thinner. Some of the hobby shops will have paints that are specifically made for glass - but again, not permanent.
If you have a kiln available, you can use traditional stainers colors from Reusche, enamels from Fusemaster or Thompson or Unique. There's a bit of research necessary as you'll need to match your enamels to the glass you're using. And there are a lot of techniques you can practice. If you can find it, there's an out of print book by Albinus Elskus called "The Art of Painting on Glass". There are also several websites that give a lot of information. My favorite is an english site is Williams and Byrne - you can sign up for their newsletter and get tons of free instruction.
Or, you can search of glass painting techniques.
Hope this helps!
Lynne
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Pebeo vitrail are not water-soluble either and they don't require baking. As for color magic - I'd like to hear more from someone who used them! Are they good? Do they mix well? I find pebeo colors to form some "dirty" colors when I mix them, so the safest is to stick to their original palette.
I don't have a kiln,unfortunately...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I have used the Pebeo paints on glass with my airbrush....I love the results. I've also used the lacuer paints...but was not as satisfied with the vescosity of the paint and thinner.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Karen, thanks! I am overall satisfied with Pebeo Vitrail, but I keep looking for something even better L&B stuff, as I heard, is even better in comparison to Pebeo, especially if one needs mixing colors.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Sciuro,

I also love using the PEBEO VITRAIL line ... I get mine from DickBlicks.com (the best service and most reasonable shipping sprices especially if you meet their specials).

But, I have a QUESTION: The "Vitrail Lightener" is rather expensive. Does anyone know of a DIY "at-home" formula OR a less expensive third-party product that would work as an option to "lighten" the PEBEO VITRAIL line?

Thanks.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Crowkar,

How the heck do you use VITRAIL with your airbrush? Do you use really cheap airburshes and throw them away? The VITRAIL line is extremely hard to clean and not very viscous ... I would love to know.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
South Eastern Wisconsin

Hails from United States

The paint must be thinned down very much! The paint should be the consistancey of soymilk. And I use a Badger Anthom 155....just make sure you clean it immediately when finished or it will be a disposable airbrush.

It's fun! I have taught any of my students how to do it...they love it.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciuro
I find pebeo colors to form some "dirty" colors when I mix them, so the safest is to stick to their original palette.

Can you tell me more about this? I'm about to start a big glass window painting project in India (inspired by Josef Albers's color theory studies) and am trying to decide which paints to get- the bigger bottles (more economical, but more complicated mixing) or the smaller bottles- their "original palette", as you say.

I realize this is an old thread, but ANY information you have would be so useful! There's lots of reviews online and how to's about these paints, but I can't seem to find personal experience on what it's actually like to work with them- which is what I'm looking for!

Thanks so much for your help!