So Ampersand came through with their awesome customer service again and sent me a repair kit so I could finally tackle salvaging the pieces that got wrecked when I sent them from NZ to the first show we had in Indy.
Here's my results for those that remember or are interested.
The package got caught in a conveyor belt and 3 of the boards got munched into pretty badly. The worst was my 16x20 bronc that had damage about 2 inches into the board. ..
I took the table saw to the board (SCARY), and cut the damage out in a V shape. Then I cut a piece to fit from a scrap board I had.
<forgot to take a picture of this part>
Then I used a fairly thick version of liquid cement and used a very tiny bit to glue the two together. I know there was discussion on here about this discolouring the clay, but I figured, "What the heck..." and using the thicker stuff, and only a small bit should minimize that hopefully. Then I did about 7 coats of the liquid clay, which helped to 'glue' the seams together.
A couple times in between clay layers and sanding, I inked and then sanded so sanding the ink off could help to show where the ridges still showed.
I did the two other damaged boards too just to see - not as worried about these though as they could ultimately be cut down and the damage cropped off. These repairs turned out pretty good.
Last coat of ink - scratching back in to disguise, and then spraying to make the two blacks blend as best as possible....
When you hold it in the light just right, you can see a little bit of the ridge still there, and I'm not sure if I could get rid of that with more layers and more sanding. But for now this is where it is at and I'm going to leave it sit for a bit. I think once it's in a frame and a mat you'd hardly be able to find that it's there. Very good learning experience for me. I don't know that I'll ever sell this board, unless the person really wanted it and knew the damage was there... but was interesting to try to fix anyway.