WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2004, 09:52 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Basic 101: Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs

Note from the Editor: This first post is ONLY kept for its historical value.
See the thread Start Here! for the current information.

Basic 101: Pre Course Assignments and FAQs

Hello and welcome to Basic 101. I hope to answer some questions regarding Basic 101. Here goes:

For the Class Members

1. When does the class Start?

Monday October 18th.[Ed: 2004] A new class will be posted each week in conjunction with Stoy Jone’s Weekly Drawing Thread

2. I’m confused. How does all this work?

Each week I will do a project. You will follow along and do the same projects and any of the outside class assignments. You will post your results on the thread for that week.

3 Do I HAVE TA?

Not at all. This is voluntary and no harm will befall you.

4. Are there deadlines?

NO. Work at your own pace—you finish when you finish. Some of you will finish in one week while others will take longer. No harm there as we all will be representing different skill levels and work speeds.

5. What are the guest lectures?

The guest lectures are a series of demonstration supplements with comments by some of the WC artists who have volunteered their time to participate. When you finish a project and are hungry for more—go to the lecture hall at artgraphica.net and find a lecture and then follow it. Now here, you can pick and choose outside the course outline if you want. The object is to play and to experiment.

6. Artgraphica.net? Why there? Why not here?

Well technically that is three questions but here goes. Artgraphica was chosen to enhance the look of an “academic” atmosphere. Its for fun. Something different. You don’t go there to buy anything but best of all the threads wont drop down to the bottom and disappear into the land of forgetfulness. I have offhandledly proposed a “learning center” for this forum to Murray so if you want such a place let him know. At that time the lectures could also be housed on the WC in an archival manner. The OTHER reason that I asked Gavin to house it over there is because I hope, at some point, to also contact NON WC artists who might want to voluntarily contribute lectures of which you can take advantage and hopefully profit from the learning experience.

Is there a book?

Boy, you DO ask some excellent questions. Yes, there is a book. It is called “How to Draw What you see” by Rudy de Reyna. The course outline follows the chapters in the book. Don’t wait for the movie.

AHA! You’re selling a book? I gotta buy a book?

Not at all. You don’t need the book for the course since I am basing the projects on the book but I would strongly advise you to get it if you can—if you can’t don’t worry. I went through many a class without reading the assignments and I survived. This will be very easy to follow.

Why You?

Good Question—Why Not?

For the Lecturers:

What is a Guest Lecturer?

A guest lecturer is a voluntary contributor of a demonstration either based on the de Reyna book or drawn from his or her own personal experience. The idea is to give the student extra practice time under the guidance of some of the more experience talent that is frequenting this board. Essentially, a guest lecturer is a mentor, a consultant and a friend.

Why not call them demonstrators?

Well, you could—but to me demonstrators sell rubberstamps, Tupperware and protest the plight of the red speckled duckbilled porcupine. A guest lecturer is more in keeping with these volunteers more academic standing and, to me, symbolizes the respect that I have for these people for jumping in to help.

Can I be a demonstrator…er… lecturer?

Absolutely. Just contact either Gavin or myself—let us know what you want to do and we will sign you right up. I need at least 18 more lecturers ideally. Your skill level does not matter—we all have gifts that can be contributed.

Do I get paid?

Uh…no. But please accept our abject love and adoration.

If the lectures are posted over at artgraphica.net—how to do I post my lecture?

Email them to Gavin and he will post each lecture in the hall. If you are not shy, consider including a picture of yourself and a brief bio (optional of course).

The pre class assignments:

1. Read the De Reyna Book up to page 26 and do the exercises in the book. If you do not have the book do not worry, you will be brought up to speed during the first class on October 18th

2. Find a picture of something that you want to draw but have felt intimidated about attempting. Draw the picture and do NOT worry about mistakes and then post it in the first class thread. This will be your reference picture to give us an idea of your level. DO NOT throw this picture away.. Your final project in this class will be to take the same picture and draw it again using ANY of the techniques that you have learned. Please post your first picture. This is important.

4. At the end of each class you will be given assignments to complete, if possible, before the next class—PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THAT A DOG ATE YOUR HOMEWORK AS WE HAVE NO REAL DEADLINES HERE. RELAX.

Materials:

For the first part of this class put away your chalks, your derwents, your prismas, your mechanical pencils and fancy draw a ma doodles. We will be working with a number two pencil, an eraser, a pencil sharpener and a sketch pad..

For the current Lecturers

Here is the current list:

Artdude (Murray)

Zarathrustra (Gavin)

Stoy Jones (that would be Stoy Jones)
Jet Liera

Eclipse (Armin Mersmen)

Deepat (Dierdre)

Paintsplatter ( I HAVE NO idea what this persons name is as she signs her name with an initial but she is one of the nicest people I have ever encountered.

Tim Chaffee

Dordy

Silksatin (Bonnie)

Alfredart (Al)

Celia

IF I HAVE MISSED ANYONE OR YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE ADDED OR DELETED TO OR FROM THE LIST,LET GAVIN OR MYSELF KNOW. AGAIN, I NEED MORE LECTURERS SO STEP UP AND JOIN THE FUN IF YOU DARE.

PLEASE EMAIL GAVIN OR MYSELF YOUR TOPIC PICS AND ALSO WHEN YOU SEND IN YOUR LECTURE PLEASE INCLUDE, AT YOUR DISCRETION, A PICTURE AND A BIO (THIS IS OPTIONAL OF COURSE BUT WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOU).

LASTLY, THANKS TO ALL OF THE VOLUNTEERS, BOTH LECTURER AND STUDENT, FOR GIVING US THE SUPPORT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. THIS IS YOUR CLASS SO GO HAVE SOME FUN!

DON’T FORGET—ALL QUESTIONS COME WITH ANSWERS SO ASK AWAY IF YOU ARE CONFUSED OR YOU JUST WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS.

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 05-29-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Tidying up
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ

I would suggest that you start from scratch but,please understand, work within your comfort level--the class is geared toward basics and a general progression--you get your ma doodles back--I noticed that some people start with a 2b for example--even Gavin does--and some of the expensive drawing kits do--but the course takes in mind that this should not be an expensive endeaver and the number 2 was reccommended because it is readily accessible to those who can ill afford the fancy instruments--dont pay for drawing pencils when you can still them from your child. Regarding stumps--well. you have to blend with something--toilet paper, cheese clothe, a john deere tractor, a stump, a tree stump etc...again, think within your comfort zone but make sure they are your tools and not your crutch.

Now look what you did, Jeff--you made me go all wordy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paapu
so the drawing that we have to post on 18th.. should it be like a sketch / a perfectly finished piece ... or ???
paapu

This was my question, too. I spent about 30 minutes free-handing a little boat that I've been having trouble with - and then saw a thread with a couple of 30-hour beauties in it. Do you want lots of time spent doing the best we can do on the pre-drawing, or something sketchy???

Hi Christie and Fireman's Kid - good to see more wet ones!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

It needs to be a picture that gives you problems. My problem pics for example are shelties. I would not overwork the project and try for something entirely finished because this is also your FINAL project--through out the course you are going to be coming back to this project and redoing it as it pertains whatever particular subject the class happens to be covering. The idea will be to get you to experience different approaches.

Note from the Editor: This thread continues with the recent posts. The older posts can be found in this closed thread:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555712

Last edited by arnoud3272 : 12-14-2009 at 06:48 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101: Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs

Hi, I'm new to WC but I wanted to join the class. Here is my pre class assignment-I'm on an iphone so I will post the next assignments after 24 hrs. Thank you!
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:37 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

addison -
Nice to meet you .
Welcome to the classroom, please move on to class 1 .

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Torino, Italy

Hails from Italy

Hi Arnoud,
these are some sketches and drawings i've done through the years.

I want to resume my drawing and improve.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Welcome to the classroom, Paolo .
You are already on a good starting level, please move on to any class you like .

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 PM

One...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2014, 10:02 PM

Two...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 PM

Post Re: Basic 101: Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs

Three.

Hey, all, I'm Suzanne. Just found these forums like...last week?

So, a little about me: I've been art-oriented all my life but haven't made art a priority very often. I've decided to include it intentionally after all these years...

I'm an editor, and I'm studying computer programming, and some dance... Other creative endeavors include knitting and (to my surprise) sometimes even cooking. We enjoy very flavorful things around here!

As far as art, I drew (mostly plain old pencil) when I was young, took a drawing class or so, not that much formal training. Later, I got into abstract painting (acrylic); I am really drawn to abstract art. It's my favorite thing at galleries. I know that position is not so common. But life took its turns and I set that aside for a while. Recently I decided to get back into it, but I also just discovered colored pencils--intended just as a sort of sketching tool, but they've intrigued me. I feel that to handle them well, even though realism and its usual subject matter isn't really my thing, I should go back to basics and beef up my drawing skills anyway. So here I am...

There's more to my own "art history," but I've already written a book here, so--without further ado, here's my pre-class assignment, which I did yesterday. Drawing a dark tortie cat with a dull, ordinary pencil on cheap paper is hard! That's a lesson in itself...

Thanks for your time in looking this over, Arnoud.

(PS, yes, the cat has a white paw and chin.)

Last edited by SChampion : 05-24-2014 at 10:07 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2014, 06:37 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Welcome to the classroom, Suzanne .
You're off to a good start.
Quote:
Drawing ... with a dull, ordinary pencil on cheap paper is hard!
Nowadays even ordinary pencils have an acceptable quality. But you'd better keep them sharp, a dull pencil is only good for obtaining some particular textures. The paper quality has a much stronger impact.

Please move on to class 1 .

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2014, 02:04 PM

Thank you!

I will take your advice about sharpness and paper quality for sure.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Hails from Canada

Hello, my name is Sara and I've wanted to improve my drawing for a long time. I've taken a few watercolor classes and I can see now how increasing my comfort with drawing will help my watercolors quite a bit. I'm hoping that these classes will give me the structure I need to get drawing more!

Here is my pre-class assignment; sorry the quality of the photo is not the best :-/

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Welcome to the classroom, Sara .
Please move on to class 1 .