WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 05:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Pastel Sketch for Oil Painting

I was ask to do a commission using a couple of photos...one of a little girl running and the other with azaleas. I've tried to put them together.

Would like to have any comments about the composition...color...strength/weakness of the piece. Not sure if this is where I need to post, but this is pastel...so here she is!

11x14 pastel on deep yellow MiTientes

Thanks for any ideas you have! The client knows I paint impressionistic so he doesn't expect a complete likeness! Yeah!!

Okay...I took advice to heart and did another draft in pastel...Here 'tis!

The first one wasn't something I'd send to a client..it was pretty rough...even for a draft! But since he wanted to purchase the draft, I thought a better one would be nicer. And I can really use the practice with my pastels and my sketching!
carly

Last edited by CarlyHardy : 08-27-2002 at 09:16 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Canada

Hails from Canada
Wow, pretty nice sketch. It wouldn't take much to call this a finished painting.

The girl doesn't seem to be running to me, but then again...little kids don't run like everyone else. One of my little guys looks like he's bouncing and the other does a shuffle-jog thing. It's hilarious.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States
Carly.... the suggestion that occured to me, is that as small as she is, her skirt needs to be shorter so you can see her knee bent to take a running step, and the dress sail behind a little to show motion...

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 09:04 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
This is going to be lovely.
There's something puzzling about her lower half. She appears to be kneeling, and her arm goes almost to the ground...perhaps it needs a little more length in the torso and legs, I'm not sure, or maybe the arm's a bit long.
(Not that I could produce a drawing half as good as that!)

my virtual gallery
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2002, 11:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
I sent this to the client...and he wants to purchase the pastel as well as the painting! LOL This is his granddaughter! I might do another pastel for him...this one has too many things that I'll change!

I think the problem with the porportions is...I'm working from a photo that is looking down on the child...and in this setting I'm trying to put her in a more upright position. Will work on that a bit!

Thanks for your comments...very helpful! I really don't like to do commission pieces!!
carly

Last edited by CarlyHardy : 08-25-2002 at 11:59 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2002, 07:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Don't forget to show us the pastel you make for him too. This is exciting for you I know I am excited for you cos I know your work is great. Congrats too
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States
Hey Carly!

I like what you have done, and agree with some of the assessment above about the body of the child. And I also know how difficult it is to use one photo and yet have to make adjustments to perspective you are viewing from. Can't wait to see the oil painting. Where will you show it -- which category? Be sure to show it here with your pastel sketch.

You're getting good with these pastels. Looking forward to having you in the workshop -- and spending time with you and Deb. It's getting close!!

The one other suggestion I have -- you have her so perfectly in the middle of space between the azaleas. What if some of those flowers were behind her? Maybe the left side (at her back). Just a suggestion -- I like for things to overlap!

Show us your next move!

Marsha Hamby Savage Art
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2002, 10:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Thanks Marsha...Thought I might bring this with me...LOL! If I still don't have it right. I told the client that it wouldn't be finished until later in Sept. I want to do the oil like I do a plein air...in one or two sessions to keep it fresh and impressionist.

The flowers on the left are too high...I thought I'd lower them some too!

Jo, I'm not showing any more skin than I have too!! LOL Figures are not my thing!
carly
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2002, 04:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Her front foot needs to be higher if she is running or else it looks like she is walking, or her back foot needs to be higher, I think the front is the one, and her arm should be bent more to show movement, the skirt is long too!

Look at me, telling you all of this! geeze...me the beginner! hehe, hope I am some help at least!

Looks really nice though and should be fun to do!

Laura
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2002, 09:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Thanks for all the great tips...I hope the newest version is an improvement! Laura, I'm working from a photo and the skirt is almost touching the ground...just the shoes and a bit of sock is showing. Since the buyer wanted her to be as much like the photo as possible, I think keeping the skirt similar is more important than showing the legs...I hope I've gotten movement...that's really all I need.

Thanks!
carly

Last edited by CarlyHardy : 08-27-2002 at 09:26 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2002, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States
Carly,

Each of those two sketches has it's own charm. I like them both - but think the second one is more painterly. You positioned the arm the same in both and I wonder if it could have just a little more bend in it? It just looks so stiff. But, I do realize what you say about the client wanting the painting as exactly like the photo as possible and still be a painting. Do you think the client will be disappointed if you don't let him have the first sketch?

Good work and -- yes -- good practice with those pastel!

See ya --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2002, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
upstate, new york

Hails from United States
Carly,

I keep looking at your wonderful portrayal of this little one.

No one has mentioned the length of the childs arm. I am not sure of children porportions, but, I do know that for an adult the elbow is somewhere within the waist area and the longest finger is usually near the mid-thigh area. I don't know if it is the same for children.

Your child's hand/finger tip is almost down to the ankle.

Lovely colors and application.

Just an opinion, geri
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2002, 11:58 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hi Carly,

I did a quick sketchy to demonstrate what Gloria777 means because the position of her legs bothered me, too. The rest of the painting is so pretty- then to have her kneeling while running.... Well, I have a five year old so I know the body type well.

The key here is to "imagine" the position her legs would be in.

Below is one way to "see" it- which seems to match the top portion of her body and her arm.

Best of luck with it.
Attached Images