WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada
is money copywrited?

Hi, I'm just wondering if it's illegal to paint or draw representations of money such as dollar bills or coins. I know it's illegal to copy money but can you paint it into your artwork? Just wondering. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks,
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Sacramento

Hails from United States
Re: is money copywrited?

As part of an artworks composition yes, as the only part of the arts composition no.
Blogs: http://jerrylipp.blogspot.com/ (professional arts
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:17 AM
London, Ont

Hails from Canada

Yes it's copyright, but like Jerry said you can paint it, so long as you're not just painting it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Midwest

Hails from United States

Not true. Money can't be copyright protected because the Federal Government can't hold copyrights on things it produces.

The issue of not being able to "copy" money has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright! You can't copy money for the purposes of using it as *legal tender* without telling the recipient (fraud) because that would be counterfeiting which is covered by a different law. You can however copy it as an art object all you want. That's in the U.S., I don't know what the laws are in other countries.

See this link for a famous "money artist"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSG_Boggs

Last edited by Rusalka : 11-23-2008 at 04:05 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Sacramento

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusalka
Not true. Money can't be copyright protected because the Federal Government can't hold copyrights on things it produces.

The issue of not being able to "copy" money has nothing whatsoever to do with copyright! You can't copy money for the purposes of using it as *legal tender* without telling the recipient (fraud) because that would be counterfeiting which is covered by a different law. You can however copy it as an art object all you want. That's in the U.S., I don't know what the laws are in other countries.

Probably the most important aspect to the link you posted above is this portion:

Quote:
Arrest history

Boggs was first arrested for counterfeiting in England in 1986, but was acquitted. He was arrested for a second time in Australia in 1989, but also acquitted. Since 1990 some of his work and personal effects have been confiscated by the United States Secret Service Counterfeiting Division although no legal case has been brought against him.[2]

Beyond this the issue of whether or not the US government can copyright although somewhat NOT germane to this subject (though the OP asked it) is some what in question , Take alook at this link:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...000-notes.html

However the fact is that it is illegal to copy money.
Blogs: http://jerrylipp.blogspot.com/ (professional arts
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

Quote:
The fact is that Boggs has proven this is not a black and white truth. It can be view legal and illegal. If its counterfeit money then it’s illegal, if it is art then its legal.

As for money having a copyright, the answer is NO (at least not in the US). Aside from the idea just being silly, there is no copyright notice anywhere on the bill, the idea that one needs permission to distribute (an exclusive right in copyright law) the money seems to be counterproductive to buying anything (capitalism), and wouldn't checks or cashier checks be considered a derivative if money had a copyright .

Boggs being arrested only highlights the ignorance of officials, not that the actions are illegal.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Ontario

Hails from Canada

That's interesting, I've never heard of Boggs.
Very interesting. I didn't know someone would do that.
He did trade his paintings for money as if it was money, so
that might be considered illegal, I don't know. Thanks for
the replies. You learn something new everyday.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrylipp
Beyond this the issue of whether or not the US government can copyright although somewhat NOT germane to this subject (though the OP asked it) is some what in question , Take alook at this link:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...000-notes.html

As Smokin pointed out, it is legal to copy money for artistic purposes. That's what we're talking about in this forum, after all. It's only illegal if you're trying to defraud someone.

That Cornell link you provided does not cast into question the idea that the gov't cannot copyright. The statute is pretty clear on that one. That there are a few exceptions does not invalidate the rule.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusalka

I clicked on the link & was taken to Wikipedia , interesting article about currency artist j.s.g boggs