WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Tenerife, Canary Islands

Hails from England
Photographing paintings

Can anyone give me tips on taking good photographs of my paintings. I have a reasonable quality digital camera but my photographs dont show my paintings like they are really. I don't use the camera flash and try to take the photos on a flat surface to no avail. My pictures always end up wonky or out of focus. I also end up having to crop lots of the picture and the painting to get a properly square image. This is driving me nuts, please help.

http://originaloilpaintings.wordpress.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Re: Photographing paintings

Hello!

I am sure that members will have some good ideas for you...meanwhile have a look at this WC! article. Good luck!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Here is the process I take for my gallery:
1- Set painting on floor with a lot of natural light in the room
2- Take picture without flash at the highest resolution
3- Open picture in Adobe Photoshop and use the lasso tool to select four corners. Then use the transform/skew tool to shape it properly.
4- Crop the image and resize to 72 dpi for the web.
5- Adjust the levels to display it like you want.
This may not be the best way but that is what I used to design the website in my sig.

Hope that helped.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

I put the picture on the ground in the sunlight. I stand over it and shoot straight down. I just try to align the edges as squarley as possible, becuase I will crop it.

When I get inside, I download it and get it into Photoshop. I crop the picture, just looseing the slimest edge.

Then I put the painting next to my computer screen, and I tweek the saturation and the colors until it looks like the real thing.

Then I save it under "file_name improved". Then I resize it about 8x10 for my blog and save it "file_name improved 8x10", Then I size it again at 500 pixels for Wet Canvas and call it "file_name improved wc". Then they are all right next to each other in my file, and I know what each one is.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM

That is a good question. I have the same issues and the advice I have gotten has helped me.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
A Local Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

The advice in the article is very good. Even if you are using digital as opposed to tungsten film it is ideal to have the lights at 45 degrees and the camera mounted on a tripod.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 AM
A Local Legend
Charleston South Carolina

Hails from United States

Have you posted this question over in the Photography Forum? There are lots of folks there who could help with this.

My Blog!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Milton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascent
Hello!

I am sure that members will have some good ideas for you...meanwhile have a look at this WC! article. Good luck!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/

An excellent article. Well worth the read. You can't go wrong following the advice (it will give you a proven method of getting great photos of your artwork almost all the time.)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Purley,Surrey

Hails from Scotland

sasharky and everyone,
your point "resize to 72 dpi for the web" does nothing whatsoever. The dpi value is only ever used by printers, not by monitors. Display devices only care about the total image size in pixels. Other threads on WC discuss this.

My own experience with images of watercolours is that resizing the image (I mean the height or width, not the meaningless dpi) is a VERY BAD thing. This causes subtle effects like harsh edges between different blocks of colour. I now deliberately set my camera to a low resolution (2 Mpixel image) to ensure that the image size fits within the WC uploader's limits. This gives much better results.

Regards
Andrew
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Andrew. The dpi for the web does not matter. I am now out of the matrix.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Washington State

Hails from United States

I photograph my paintings verticly.....I put a book under the back leg of my easel so that it doesn't tilt back. I'm going to try Andrew's method of lowering the resolution.....seems like a good idea.

www.youtube.com/user/wagstaffe7
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:18 AM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States

I use natural light or daylight artificial light. I place my paintings as vertical as possible, usually on my easel and align the sides of the viewfinder with the sides of the painting. This sometimes means moving the camera around until the sides and top and bottom look squared up.

I take several shots of each at a couple different settings to be sure I have one that is closest to the original. I have a Mac, so I use iPhoto to make most of my adjustments. Be careful to not get too close or zoom in too close, as that seems to cause some blurring. Using a tripod is a great idea, but sometimes you don't want to take the time, so a faster setting will cut down on shake.

I tend to lighten my images to put them online, and even more so to print them, as I believe that they appear darker in print than with the light of the screen.

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/