WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Studio Paintings from Plein Air References
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Northern California

Hails from United States
Indoor Plein Aire

This is a 9x12" oil on canvas piece I just did for a client. She wanted a piece to match a plein aire piece she purchased from me last April. She wanted the colors to be the same, and she wanted the local hills. Her request for this new piece however was a location near her home. Well, in California right now our hills are gold. So luckily I had some photos in my files of the exact area she was interested in. Photos taken last February when I was out painting. I painted it in the plein aire style while I was gallery sitting last Saturday at a coop gallery I am in. Hopefully the client will be pleased with it.

Catherine
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Santa Fe, NM

Hails from United States
Re: Indoor Plein Aire

It's a beautiful painting, Catherine... I can't imagine your client not loving it! It has a lot of the freshness of a plein air. I'd love it you would be willing to post a photo of the first one too..
The Way of seeing is a Way of being
- Frederick Franck
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Thank you Mercia,

This is the first painting that the client purchased. It is called Crow Canyon February. It is a true plein aire painted out on Crow Canyon Road on February afternoon in Contra Costa County, CA.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Immortalized
Ventura, California

Hails from United States

The California Hills are so pretty, and they go on forever. You do a great job catching them.

The green lasts for such a short time, but it is so glorious with the deep blue skies, the fluffy clouds and the mustard. The dry grass lasts for so long. I am so glad that you caught the pretty green.

http://www.carolynspaintblog.blogspot.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjorgensen
The California Hills are so pretty, and they go on forever. You do a great job catching them.

The green lasts for such a short time, but it is so glorious with the deep blue skies, the fluffy clouds and the mustard. The dry grass lasts for so long. I am so glad that you caught the pretty green.

The golden hill paintings sell better than the green hill paintings. When you think about it, it is easier to hang in a living room and match wall color and furniture to. But I say, buy your art first and match your sofa to your painting! When you think about it, the painting will last for centuries and the sofa, well, not quite that long I remind people of that. You truly have to buy what you like.

Thanks for the comments!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

I like the interplay of the slate blue clouds and the slate blue in the road on your latest painting, it's lovely with the golden field. I like the rounded clouds and how they mimic the rounded trees and hills in the second, such harmony is lovely.

Aleada
http://www.aleadasiragusa.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

I keep getting reminded that other people's tastes in furnishings are nothing like mine. lol

Your painting is great. The golden hills are beautiful. They'll hang together wonderfully, they do go together in a perfect way.

But I'd have a really hard time with furniture that matched them! I probably wouldn't do it. I've disagreed with decorators all my life and sworn up and down that if I ever won the Literary Lottery (had a breakout novel like Stephen King's and wound up rich, fewer players, huge pots), I would not hire a decorator.

They'd arrange my house to the tastes of the public and other decorators, not to me and what I actually like or how I actually move around the space. They'd choose colors popular that year whether I liked them or not, it would be as depressing as living in a bank lobby. There are a very few decorators I've read who do the opposite -- who study their clients' tastes, personality, habits and habits they haven't even noticed, then create something that fits them rather than fits the vogue.

But the resulting rooms sometimes look like they tried to shoehorn the people into the vogue and make them look trendy even when they weren't. I never saw a treatment that came close to anything I'd want to live in.

I like that point -- art will last and your furniture won't. Even if your furniture will, if what you like as I do is very sturdy heavy antique furniture, it needs reupholstery after a while and the colors can change.

Where I have seen beautiful homes I'd move into in a heartbeat is when I have visited other artists who own houses.

Past a certain level of skill, and it doesn't matter what medium, the artist's house starts to look like an immense walk-through still life in progress. Color harmonies and interesting compositions are there everywhere you look. Windows get the kind of furniture arrangements that invite you to look out at gardens that might as well have been made up on an easel.

I think the best was an old oil painter in New Orleans who loved the Renaissance. He had a wide arched carriage path leading to his big courtyard next to an old fashioned house. In the carriage path and the living room that opened to the side off of it, he'd laid out simple black and white linoleum tiles to make a perspective grid and painted the house a warm pink that accented all of its fancywork.

It looked like you were walking into a Botticelli, and some months after I started visiting him for lessons, he mentioned it had been inspired by some Botticelli settings. I grinned ear to ear. That's the kind of cool things artists do with their decor.

Except for the other style of artist's dwelling, the "studio with a bed in it" style that I seem to favor by way of spending much more time and expense on art supplies than on furnishings. I tend to have yard sale furniture and artist grade supplies, but I do like all that fancy Victoriana and Baroque complexity and as mentioned, if I got that rich I'd decorate to the art. Then you'd know walking into the not-studio parts of the house (cleaned by other people) that a color nut lived there, with bold paintings and dark full saturation hues in the upholstery.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Pikeville, Tennessee

Hails from United States

Your perspective is top notch. I love the hills, and the fence line is just right. What a good job here.

web address: loxleystudio.com
"For the Love of Horses!"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 PM
ClearLake , California

Hails from United States

yes sure does look like that area they are beautiful and made me a little home sick .... looking at the rolling hills
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Immortalized
Bellport, Ny

Hails from United States

Hi! catherine, Lovely follow-up. Pastoral, peaceful and a good companion piece. Like Plein -air because we can revisit a see and always find something new!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Hyderabad

Hails from India

The view it self evokes interest. Both are nice paintings.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

They should be appealing hanging next to each other. Good job. I hope your client likes them too.

As I was reading your thread title - Indoor Plein Aire - it reminded me of last winter when I felt I needed some more practice for a plein air event that was coming up in the spring but was not anxious to paint in the single digit temps. I hadn't painted outdoors for so long that I was nervous that I wouldn't get enough practice in before the date arrived.

What I did was display a wide angle photo on the big screen TV and treated it like I was outside. Finding the crop I wanted with my view catcher and picking what I wanted to include as if looking at the countryside, no digital cropping, zooming, enhancing. I proceeded with a value sketch, then painted it in a few hours, Alla Prima like I would have En Plein Air. I found the exercise beneficial and confidence boosting and I am sure it helped me with the event.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Dang.....2008? I need to pay better attention to the dates in some of these "slower" forums.