WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2002, 11:40 PM
Enthusiast
NE Iowa

Hails from United States
What kind of ventilation?

I need to install a ventilation system of some kind over my work area. Is a range hood the best thing to use? Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying a hood? Is there an optimal distance from the work surface that a hood should be installed?

TIA! I really appreciate the help.

Cheers!
Mary
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Enthusiast
Nebraska

Hails from United States
Hi Mary - Gosh, I am so embarassed to say this after the fuss I've made lately, but you might want to search the ISGB archives (can anyone even BELIEVE I had the nerve to say that after my other posts today...geez...) There really is a lot of info in there on it. I know a lot of folks do use the range hoods, and that's what I am planning on using when I set up my new "studio" room. But for now I've got the old fan in the window setup. That is working fine, but it really works best if you are directly facing the window with nothing blocking the path between the torch and the window.

If you ever want to "check" your ventilation's effectiveness, the "incense" test is a good indicator. Turn on the ventilation, and light a stick of incense and hold it a few inches below the head of the torch. Watch and see where the smoke goes. That will give you an idea if it's working reasonably well or not. I did that and was surprised to find out that my kiln was blocking the "path" from torch to window, though it wasn't really directly inbetween the two.

If I tried to give you anymore info, my ignorance would become very apparent, as I've know exhausted my knowledge of ventilation. (Hey, that was funny! "Exhausted" - "Ventilation", get it??? Sigh...)

B2 (I can't believe I even said that...)

FYI - path to ISGB is www.isgb.org. Go to the "old" forum and then to "archives" and the search on the word "ventilation".
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 07:46 AM
BAM

B2, That's exactly what I was going to suggest to Mary, haha.

I was researching ventilation and there are some great and very technical threads in the ISGB archives. Mary, I'm going to forward two e-mails which I saved on the subject. I still need ventilation in my dungeon.

So, we're going to welcome each other and then send them away?? Just teasing, just teasing. I too was sending Mary elsewhere.

Mary we gotcha.
Betty
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Mary check here and look at my set-up. if you want more info. email me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...threadid=49023
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 09:48 AM
New Lenox, IL (suburb of Chicago)

Hails from United States
Hi Mary!

A friend helped me out with all this a while back but I don't want to mention any names because this person is so busy right now. I'm no expert, but here's goes

You want to get a fan that is as close to 400 CFM (cubic feet per minute).

Grainger.com sells a really good vent hood for around $200. It's a
325 CFM unit, and one of my students had her husband suspend it from the ceiling with chains. This way it's directly over the work area, but behind by a bit. You need to check the direction of the flame, cause it will push the bad air a bit. You can hang a metal flashing from the bottom of the housing. I got mine at Home Depot .. a roll of 24" x 10'. Then I duct taped the flashing to the side and back of the vent hood. This redirects the bad air from flowing past the exhaust fan.

If life slows down I'm going to put more pages on my site about this because a picture says a thousand words. But right now it's crazy, man!

HTH,

Mari
No, I don't wanna know" --Sheryl Crow
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
NE Iowa

Hails from United States
Cool You all are so helpful here

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far ...

B2, I can understand your reluctance to "send me to the archives." When I first found ISGB (just a few short weeks ago), after reading a few posts, esp. from newbies like me, I realized a lot of people were being referred to the archives for answers. I've been in the archives and there is a lot of helpful info. there, IF you have time to wade through a ton of posts. I can really understand why it gets a little 'old' to keep answering the same questions ... so one thing I'd really love to see somewhere (on WC or on ISGB or somewhere else) is an area for basic information, such as on ventilation, set-up, etc. I had (still have) lots and lots of questions and yet felt like I couldn't ask on ISGB ... yet also I'm so limited on time that I was getting frustrated trying to find answers in the archives. So anyway .... long way of saying that I really appreciate all the more experienced people taking their time to help ... it means a lot to us newbies

I'll give the incense a try, good idea! (It will be fun to buy incense again ... takes me right back to high school and my beaded curtain and black light!) I didn't realize that a fan in a window needs to be directly in front of the torch. I put it in another window because I was worried that it would interfere with the flame if it was directly in front of it. I'm set up in the garage right now and do face a window (but am moving to the basement, that's why all the questions). I'll move the fan today and try the incense check. Thanks again!

Betty, got your emails -- thanks much I'd love to share any other info either of us finds ....

Richard, I looked at your setup and I need to look again and then I might e-mail you with questions -- thank you for your help!!

Hi Mari! I love the way you spell your name. I was wondering about the "draw" of the range hood ... thanks for answering that question. I'll have to check out Grainger. I was on Home Depot's site last night and none of the hoods list the CFM. I'm confused about the flashing .... does it come all the way down to your bench? A photo would be very helpful, if you get a chance!

Cheers!
Mary
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast
northeastern california

Hails from United States
hi mary,

here is a link to 'rebeads' ventilation page on their website. some very good info here...

http://www.rebeads.com/Ventilation.htm

they used to have a picture of their setup, but it doesn't look like it's there anymore . instead of a range hood they have a much more 'torch specific' exhaust system. they used 6" flexible metal ducting ( clothes dryer ventilation stuff) between a fan in the ceiling and an 8" opening (i used a fitting for converting from an 8" (wood) stove pipe to 6" stove pipe) just above and behind the torch flame. it sounds complicated, but it's very simple and not expensive. since it is so specific to exhausting the torch flame, it's very effective.

anyway! if you're interested in knowing more, e-mail me and i'll send a pic when i get home from summer school next week!

lynne
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Ventilation

I am starting this tread about "Ventilation" so anyone that is looking for information they will have somewhere to look. I'd like everyone to post a picture or pictures of their ventilation system and tell us about it.

Each and every ventilation system is going to be different. it will be based on what that Glass artist is working with.

I trust we will get a great deal in input from flamers out there that have what they feel is the right ventilation system for them.

I will be posting pictures of my system and tell you just what I have and why.

Richard
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
WA

Hails from Australia
Here is a picture of my ventilation system. I bought a heavy duty range hood from Home Depot that I believe this one is 250 or 300 cfm. It has flexible pipe that vents out the window. I have a window in the other room open at all times when I use the torch and also a fan behind me.

The hood also has a light in it and I have a halogen light bulb which is great for lighting my work area.

Here is a picture of my ventilation system:

Elizabeth
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Nebraska....soon to Colorado

Hails from United States
This is the ventilation system we just installed in my new studio this spring. It is normally used for boosting more air through the duct in a home heating system. It moves 580 CFM, vents out the side wall of the building and is QUIET!
I have a smaller version on the opposite side of the room, behind where I work for fresh air intake. So far this system is really working good for me. The opposite side of my bead bench, is where I do my silversmithing work, and it helps vent that area also.
The first photo is of the inside of the system. I will post again with the "finshed" photo.

Katie
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 07:51 PM

Hails from United States
Here is how my system looks now that it is finished! We just gutted out an old hog farrowing shed on our farm to turn into my glass studio. I did a photo diary of the work, and have it on my web site. It was a lot of hard work, but after working in it for over a month now, I just LOVE it! So nice to have room to work!

[url]www.sagehendesigns.com/studio.html
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 07:54 PM

Hails from United States
sheesh....forgot to add the photo... LOL sorry about that!
Katie
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast
Geneva Florida

Hails from United States
Oh I like all those fancy ventalation systems. But because of me not wanting anything permanant in this house for for beads, (thinkng about upgrading this ole house soon). I have choosen the $10 method.
Lowes has $10 thin boxfans in FL anyways. And that is all I did. Shove a box fan on my window sill. I open the door to the kitchen and suck the AC from there. The doorway is on my back, the fan is in front/side. I have it reiforced with a little rope and hooks so the vibration doesn't jiggle it off.
2 pics, first you can see where my propane hose goes out the screen, complete with camoflodge duct tape ( ya know) to seal up the screen (bugs ya know). My little hula babe shakes to wish me happy beading everynight.
2nd pic shows where my MM torch (Burna Thingshot)<---It's her name, really!

Holy Lived-in Studio Batman!
Attached Images

Lori_Robbins eBaY current auctions
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Historic Village of Leclaire - in Edwardsville Illinois

Hails from United States
Hi MarySarah -
there's another alternative to a range hood setup. My hubby took a "large room size" air cleaner (one we used to use in the Living room), hung it directly over my workbench.

He attached (well - duct taped LOL) some hvac pipe reducer and tubing to the top of the unit where the airflow comes out. He ran enough tubing to reach the window on the other side of the basement.

That baby pulls some air! After I light the torch I start the thing and the flame actually tips upwards due to the air flow.

Hard to visualize I know - so I just took some pics for you.

First - pic of workbench with air cleaner overhead (sorry for quality of pics - don't know how to use photo editing software for the best results).

Then in next post I took a pic of the air cleaner itself.

Best regards & hope this helps,
Miss Kate
Attached Images

www.To-Dos.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2002, 11:52 PM
Historic Village of Leclaire - in Edwardsville Illinois

Hails from United States
Close up shot of air cleaner & ductwork.
Attached Images

www.To-Dos.com