WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity > The Book Club
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
San Antonio, Texas

Hails from United States
Notan?

I have seen a lot of positive comments on books about notan so I ordered the one with the best reviews. I was tremendously disappointed. If any of you are familiar with this, please tell me what I am missing.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
UK

Hails from Scotland
Re: Notan?

Hi guys, any advice on good bookson notan by any chance?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

You don’t say which book you bought on Notan? I don’t have a particular book on it myself but there is usually brief mention of the term in books on Design.
Both “the Art of Color and Design” by Maitland Graves and “Art Structure” by Henry N. Rasmusen refer to it and put it into the broader context of Design.
As you know Notan is a traditional Japanese design concept involving the play and placement of light and dark elements usually presented in paint or ink using a flat pattern treatment.
Chiaroscuro is another way of using light and shade but in a naturalistic way, the two can be combined as in Dean Cornwell’s Library Murals.

And converted to grayscale to emphasise the design element.

Not sure how you want to use Notan but it’s best used for its decorative and design possibilities.

Dave.
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM

I struggled with that idea of "Notan". I had been seeing people do black and white drawings of their and other people's images, or taking photographs in greyscale and calling that "notan". Like, what's the point? Then I read Arthur Wesley Dow's 1920 book 'Composition: Understanding Line, Notan and Color'. He learned about it in the late 1800s from a friend who was an expert on Japanese art, and was the first teacher to use the idea with western students. He says "beautiful notan". Not just randomly black and white, it has to be a beautiful pattern. Oh.