WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Lefty? Righty? Both?
Left handed 182 29.55%
Right handed 284 46.10%
Ambidextrous 150 24.35%
Voters: 616. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Lefty? Righty? Both?

Just curious ...

are you left handed, right handed, or comfortable using both hands?

I'm mostly a lefty (writing, painting, fork,chopsticks,etc.), do all sportsy things as a righty (hockey, golf,baseball,etc.), am semi ambidextrous in writing and painting (can easily use either if one's tired or the angle is better with one or the other).

I checked the little 'poll' thingy ... first one tho, hope it werks?

La
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Aldergrove, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Lefty? Righty? Both?

South-paw here. Used to get smacked at school in grade one for doing so until my dad went in and sorted them out, that was back in the early sixties. I do however use both hands pretty well for a lot of things. when I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, when one would go dead I'd have to switch to the other until it went numb and then back and forth.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from European Union

I'm mainly right handed but I've started doing some things with left over the last few years due to tendinitis and hypermobility in the right wrist which weakens it.. anything hard to open (garage, train doors, bottles etc) I do with left and some other stuff too. I can write pretty well with left and have also tried drawing with left too.
So I guess I'm crosshanded I don't know whether its enough to be classified as ambi though.. ah well I'll vote that anyway ^^
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Pretty much right handed (which for some reason startled all my art teachers when I was a kid), but I've always been weirdly facinated with being left handed, and 'taught' myself to write with that hand, too. It's a little sloppy, but legible. I can do a lot of things with my left hand, though, and most things almost as good... Don't really consider myself ambidextrous, though... I guess I'm more.... adaptable? adjustable?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Mainly lefty. I bat righty and cut righty. But the cutting is usually because trying to cut left handed with right handed scissors is not so comfortable.
http://project57.smugmug.com/gallery/1382188#140331834
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Mainly lefty. I bat righty and cut righty. But the cutting is usually because trying to cut left handed with right handed scissors is not so comfortable.
http://project57.smugmug.com/gallery/1382188#140331834
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Ah, well, parents claim I was born a lefty, but at 14 months badly burned said left hand. Didn't use it for years, so learned to eat and write and such right handed. I found later when I broke my right arm and had to use my left how natural it felt. Chronic tendonitis in my wrist from computer use, got me using both hands interchangably for the most part. Still can't use scissors left handed. I find myself having to consciously use my left hand, the habit is to do things right handed. So, since that is what I use dominately, that's how I voted. Interesting discussion.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 AM

I would have to say I am Both. I write with right handed Glass blowing with both hands. If a project needs me to change hands it fine with me. Engraving if it a egg I tend to change hands to engrave for it easier.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Sovereign Nation of Indiana

Hails from United States
Cool Re: Lefty? Righty? Both?

.....I struggled to write legibly for many years; so it isn't surprising that I can't write very well left-handed. However, I experimented one day; and found that I could draw perfectly well left-handed; but its an odd sensation. To some degree, it feels like my left hand has a will of its own. I mean, not quite; but almost. There's much less roof-brain chatter going on. Meanwhile, my right hand dutifully does all my erasing for me. Sometimes, when I come to a hard place; my right hand will take the pencil; and show the left how its done- on a piece of scrap paper. Afterwards the left seems to do it much easier. And my drawing style isn't precisely the same- though close.

.....Like I say, it only feels partly like the hands have a mind of their own. If I felt that way totally; I'd be seriously weirded out.

.....I can paint; or use the airbrush perfectly well with either hand; but without any sensation that my hands are on "Autopilot".

.....I had a good deal of trouble in first grade; picking up my pencil first with one hand; then the other- writing very crudely with either. My father used to drill me. He'd have me sit; and say "Right hand" or "Left hand"; and I was supposed to hold that one up. I have often thought, rather sourly, that his frantic hands-on Coaching may have kept me from becoming ambidextrous.

.....I've also read that the truly ambidextrous often can tell their right from left; only with the greatest difficulty.

.....On more thing: I used to be a fairly serious combat pistol competition shooter; practicing my draw a couple hundred times every day. I also had a concealed carry license. Despite the hundreds of practice draws; when startled; I've drawn my weapon left-handed- from a right-handed holster- several times. I had to be sure to position my pistol where my left hand couldn't reach it; to keep it from kibbutzing.(I was afraid that if I ever seriously needed to draw; I might mess up the unpraticed and unorthodox left-handed draw- though that never happened the three or four times that it was a false alarm.)

.....RVM45
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Washington, DC Metro Area

Hails from United States

I use both hands, but have an interesting experience to share about why. When I was in the first grade (6 years old in 1964), I was having a bit of an issue with reading. I was lucky to have a teacher who believed in me and decided I was needing to read by sight (seeing patterns rather than hearing letters). So she had me do these exercises where I drew patterns with both hands at the same time - creating mirror images, if you will. From that experience, I began to use both hands. So how lucky was I to have this teacher? I was born a righty, though.

Interesting topic, to be sure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Lefty..almost for everything, painting, drawing, eating, whatever.... except calculator..and learned that on right hand because that is where it is on the keyboard.
I too was "disciplined" in 1st grade for using left hand...in the 50's...and as a result was a bit dyslexic. Then, my parents had me separated in school from my twin and the new teacher thought I was managing just fine with my left hand and let me be....I did well in school thereafter, no more dyslexia.
Col. 3:23

Last edited by beebluefern : 10-24-2007 at 05:10 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Lathrup Village, Mi

Hails from United States

This entire string of conversations are very very interesting...I too am somewhat ambidextrous. Like La, I am right handed on most things but I do most sportsy things left handed (golf, bat, throw with either hand). Although, I have never been diagnosed as being dyslexic...I have have suspected that I might be...even thought I did great in school...I always find myself switch letters around when reading...Now I am wondering now if I was without my knowledge originally a lefty and was taught to be a righty at a very early age.....hmmmmm?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Denver area

Hails from United States

Right hand "hook," meaning I have to write with my fingers pointed toward my chest. They tried to break me of this in school but it didn't work. I can do some stuff with my left hand, but it does feel foreign. I think that's good in a way because if I get stuck in painting and then do something to it with my left hand - even a couple of strokes- it kind of jars something loose and helps somehow.

Good topic- I find handedness and the brain activity related with it very interesting.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2007, 01:24 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I am both. I started out righty, but I broke my right arm when I was 1.5 years old. I write righty, but could write legibly with left hand if needed. I eat, fold clothes and iron lefty. I bat righty, but hit like a lefty. It all depends on what I am doing.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
currently Northeast Pa USA

Hails from United States

I think it has a lot to do with the wrist actually , more then hand and fingers , what is more comfortable for the wrist is the key .